Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Quote:
Bottom line, syncros have equipment 2wd owners don't have. Accept that as a fact or go buy a unit that can attend.

But Dave that's just it... 2WDs are invited to attend by the event itself. If we weren't welcomed by the event itself we wouldn't go....

My comment about me signing up as a 4wd to get a ticket was said if they ever instituted syncro ticket sale in the first 2 weeks only and then open it to 2wd ticket buyers after. That's lame. Not sure why syncro owners think that having their own 2 week window will help them get tickets if this year's 3 week window wasn't long enough and they ended up missing out.

It takes a big commitment on my part to get there. Time off of work, planning the 7 day trip to get to SF from Texas etc . so I make sure I get my ticket early.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

One of the things that's I think I'm having the hardest time with is that this is the first instance that I've ever seen syncro owners look down upon and want to exclude 2wd guys from attending an event.

Never in my wildest dreams would I ever have thought that would happen. Just take a moment and think about all of the people, and sponsors that would have been missing from the event this year had the event said Syncros only. Think about that.

I know I bounced from camp to to camp and had a great time visiting with friends I hadn't seen since last year's event and to think that more than half of them wouldn't be there if 2wds were not allowed.

I guess those syncro owners that don't want 2wd guys at Syncrofest only have syncro friends... That's a shame. I for one have many friends on both sides of the fence and I enjoy their rigs and their Campfire company equally...

This event and others like it is about bringing the community together... Not tearing it apart even more.
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

So I can't come again because we brought a dog? Maybe we should leave the women at home too.

This is a getting silly. Nobody was injured from motorbikes and the dogs near our camp that were off leash were having a great time and all very friendly.

Bottom line is respect. Keep the music down after 10, pick up your dogs shit and the rest of you chill out.

If it helps, turn the kook lot into the party zone. It's pretty far from the main camp.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

I sure do love being an introvert because I have zero interest in events like this. It's always interesting to see the needless drama that gets spun up when event goers see things differently.

Happy vanning!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
One of the things that's I think I'm having the hardest time with is that this is the first instance that I've ever seen syncro owners look down upon and want to exclude 2wd guys from attending an event.

Never in my wildest dreams would I ever have thought that would happen. Just take a moment and think about all of the people, and sponsors that would have been missing from the event this year had the event said Syncros only. Think about that.

I know I bounced from camp to to camp and had a great time visiting with friends I hadn't seen since last year's event and to think that more than half of them wouldn't be there if 2wds were not allowed.

I guess those syncro owners that don't want 2wd guys at Syncrofest only have syncro friends... That's a shame. I for one have many friends on both sides of the fence and I enjoy their rigs and their Campfire company equally...

This event and others like it is about bringing the community together... Not tearing it apart even more.

I am in complete agreement with Abel's post & the points he brings up in his posts before this.

As it stands right now, 2wd vans are invited & there is even a trophy for best 2wd van.

Fact is that not many people wheel their vans at this event. It seems there were about 15-20 participants in the Syncro Cup Driving Challenge and maybe about that number again that were up on the trails regularly. (I drove in the Syncro Cup and got a big fat DNF Embarassed )

Last but not least, this is also a camping event and last time i checked, there were a limited number of Syncro Westfalias. I know people there who bring their 2wd van to camp and their 4wd truck to drive. Would they be precluded from bringing their camper?

Regarding the trail bikes, I agree they were an unsafe nuisance. I myself told them to slow down once.

One last point, is that honestly, i think the camp was less crowded this year than in years past.

Bill
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L

Last edited by Bills85Westy on Thu May 11, 2017 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I sure do love being an introvert because I have zero interest in events like this. It's always interesting to see the needless drama that gets spun up when event goers see things differently.

Happy vanning!

I actually feel the same way. I'm much more comfortable with just my family. I wanted to attend because 1. It's right near where I grew up so I could also visit family and 2. I wanted to actually drive my Syncro.

I'm not standing up for rule breakers but I'm also not a rule Nazi. My family and I were in bed by 10 and awake by 6 both nights. My dog is super chill and chaining him to the bumper all day is not humane. I also pick up after my dog. If you have a dog that fights other dogs then that's your responsibility to handle the situation accordingly. I just don't want to classify people with dogs as "bad" or "2wd'ers" as "bad".

I'm simply saying there is no "good" and "bad" it's just different generations having their idea of fun. I fall in the middle of the age bracket so I can see both sides.

The only true "bad" person is whoever decided to steal. I left my van open the entire time and I don't think anything went missing so I'm just basing that on comments here.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

All this drama over speculation of what the organizers may or may not do next year is too funny. Keep it up! Laughing

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Motorcycles are banned from the 4wd park(except for special scramble events), I have seen someone ticketed and removed before.
If you want to bring a bike the only time it should be putted through camp is to get to or from the MC park adjacent to the event. MCs have been at the event for many years without issue as the owner knew where they are supposed to be ridden without being told.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

We've learned over the years that a "flexible" dog policy simply does not work. A couple years ago two off leash dogs were running around and knocked over (accidentally I'm sure) a little girl who was about two and she hit her head on a fire ring. She was ok but her mom was pretty mad. It's a hugh liability for us organizers and dog owners might not believe it but we actually have people come and complain to us about dogs being out of control.

Unfortunately we can't leave it up the the "judgment" of the dog owner. If we let one person have a dog off leash then everyone thinks it s ok and it does not work out.

This year I personally had to pick up a couple piles of dog shit rught in front of the t-shirt selling area. Not all dog owners think that they should have to pick up there dogs.

F you don't want to leave your dog tied to the bumper all day long then it's YOUR responsibility as a dog owner to take the dog somewhere else and go for a walk or a run or play with the ball.

We are still talking about what we are going to do next year wih lots of things but this much I can say for sure, we will be clamping done on the dog issue big time. Dogs issues take up way way to much of our time and we hate it. Since some dog owners don't seem to not want to follow the rules (or even be aware of them) we will probably follow the Mogest model where dogs hav to be pre-approved and the owners will need to agree before had that they will follow the rules 100%.

This is a case of a few bad apples ruining it for everyone. I own two german shepards and I've had dogs all my life. i love dogs. I choose not to bring my dogs to Syncrofest because I don't want to have to take care of them there. Next year we will make sure that everyone understands that we have a zero tollerance policy for off leash dogs.
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:
We've learned over the years that a "flexible" dog policy simply does not work. A couple years ago two off leash dogs were running around and knocked over (accidentally I'm sure) a little girl who was about two and she hit her head on a fire ring. She was ok but her mom was pretty mad. It's a hugh liability for us organizers and dog owners might not believe it but we actually have people come and complain to us about dogs being out of control.

Unfortunately we can't leave it up the the "judgment" of the dog owner. If we let one person have a dog off leash then everyone thinks it s ok and it does not work out.

This year I personally had to pick up a couple piles of dog shit rught in front of the t-shirt selling area. Not all dog owners think that they should have to pick up there dogs.

F you don't want to leave your dog tied to the bumper all day long then it's YOUR responsibility as a dog owner to take the dog somewhere else and go for a walk or a run or play with the ball.

We are still talking about what we are going to do next year wih lots of things but this much I can say for sure, we will be clamping done on the dog issue big time. Dogs issues take up way way to much of our time and we hate it. Since some dog owners don't seem to not want to follow the rules (or even be aware of them) we will probably follow the Mogest model where dogs hav to be pre-approved and the owners will need to agree before had that they will follow the rules 100%.

This is a case of a few bad apples ruining it for everyone. I own two german shepards and I've had dogs all my life. i love dogs. I choose not to bring my dogs to Syncrofest because I don't want to have to take care of them there. Next year we will make sure that everyone understands that we have a zero tollerance policy for off leash dogs.

Fair enough. My dog was on a leash through camp at all times. At the van he spends all day within a few feet of the van and does not wander off or run around (he's lazy).

If this is the ruling for next year then I won't attend unfortunately. It sucks that people with out of control dogs are running around and causing problems but our dog is part of our family and I would not leave him at home for a week.

Good luck with the event in the future. I had a great time regardless of any antics so its' unfortunate that so many people are in disagreement. I didn't get that vibe while attending.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:

Finally some common sense for dog management.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Irishcalifornian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Transmissions and rogue dogs.
"It's the end of the world as we know it."

This is why the internet can really suck.

Once again I had a great time and met some great people.

PERIOD
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Syncrofest 2017

What I saw:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What everyone else saw:
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^
That right there is HILARIOUS!!!

I too saw nothing but good times... Didn't see any Thunder Dome action.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Throw out the rotten apples now! before the entire basket becomes rotten and needs to be thrown away.
Anyone who attended this year KNOW who the rotten apples are, some have their photos on bikes in the photos posted above!
Peer pressure is still an amazing force in society, the "good" must stand united against the "bad" or this event as you all know it ....... is finished.

I feel for the organizers, they don't want to deal with this crap!

Dave

Hey Dave,

"some have their photos on bikes in the photos posted above!"

That is my bike, STREET LEGAL< LICENSED AND HELMET WEARING individuals were asked to maintain campground speeds out of camp onto the road to go for a ride.

Not all of those who brought bikes wore helmets and some were riding a little too fast in camp, but not "some have their photos on bikes in the photos posted above!"

It's just making the scene worse when people who were not there are fueling the fire as KEYBOARD WARRIORS. It ws a great event. EVERY EVENT WILL HAVE SOME SORT OF ISSUE--get over it. If it bothers you, put on your man pants and walk over to the individuals, introduce yourself and have a good-polite conversation as to why you are bothered. Dont run home and jump on TheSamba and hash it out 11 months before the next event.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

For those less into drama and more into Syncro's, good times, good people and good pictures of the event, go to Instagram and use #syncrofest2017 and #syncrofest for HUNDREDS of photos of people enjoying the event.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
For those less into drama and more into Syncro's, good times, good people and good pictures of the event, go to Instagram and use #syncrofest2017 and #syncrofest for HUNDREDS of photos of people enjoying the event.

You can view them on the desktop too...

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/syncrofest/

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/syncrofest2017/

Here's the bummer photo of the weekend... =(

Last edited by HoustonPhotog on Thu May 11, 2017 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Love the pics, much better than the snippyness on this topic lately. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
VanWhalen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Thank you, to all the organizers who obviously put in a ton of time in effort to make a great event.
Thank you to all the vendors. The raffle would have been pretty boring without all those great prizes, and it's nice to put a face to who's taking all my money the rest of the year.
Thank you to all the volunteers, who put their fun on pause for a couple hours, and helped everyone else have a good time.
Thank you, to all the other attendees who were super friendly and generous with their knowledge, beers, and firepits.
This was my wife and I's (Hanna and Brett) first time, and we had a blast. We are guilty of setting up camp, and not hitting the trails. It wasn't really a Syncro vs. 2WD thing, just a matter of having a limited amount of time to get out of town and enjoy the weekend together thing. She wants to set up camp, get cozy, and enjoy not being at work. I would've liked to hit up the trails. Next year's solution:we're bringing both vans.

Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:

You can view them on the desktop too...

thank you!
I knew we could find some common ground

I did talk to the DJ, and the Motorcyclist on Sunday. We parted friends.
Its just a matter of respecting the spirit of the event. It is not a Rave.

It is not about banning 2wd, or the beautiful air-cooled people and their awesome camp, it is about joining an event that has a Syncro theme, in an Offroad park, and behaving courteously. Listen to the wind, get along with the natives.

dogs are not banned, they just need to be leashed.

I agree it was less crowded this year than last. I agree arguing and banning stuff is not optimal

lets work together to continue to share time at SyncroFest in ways that bring the most smiles for everyone involved.

do consider starting more events, with other themes
Im willing to help, PM me if you want to brainstorm a new event

and
See you next year at SoundBash.. LOL

Im only calling it like I see it, what is good for the individual is not always what is best for the group

just because you can, does not mean you should

visualize whirled peas
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: