Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 kombi died while driving
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
decriminalizpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

my hippy got about a block from home and she died while moving down the road. Janis Joplin (the van) would try but not turn over. had to tow her home. my hippy has just changed tranny oil and he put the ignition coil in the bracket where it keeps jiggling loose. those are the only recent things done. we have bought all the books but are clueless where to check next. i have read check points but im not sure it may have electronic ignition.any tips what it could be?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and where does this wire go
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

decriminalizpot wrote:
Janis Joplin (the van) would try but not turn over.

"Try" as in you could hear the starter turning the engine, but the engine would not fire?

Usually, the term "turn over" is reserved for describing the starter's ability to rotate the engine.

If it does not "catch" or "fire" but it does turn over, then we start looking at ignition/fuel systems.

The orphan wire is anyone's guess. To help figure it out, you need to clean it to see what color it is. If it is brown, that means it is a ground wire, and you can look in the vicinity for any bare spade terminals that are part of the body sheetmetal. But with that engine compartment looking like it does, you cannot assume just yet. If it goes into a factory looking harness, then the color should be valid. Otherwise, track to its source.

Methinks you are at the threshold of a learning curve to help you get Janis shipshape.
Colin
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

You probably know this
the white green yellow brown is usually a trailer harness BUT I and many others have run them in with a new wiring harness to have the extra wires for tach, amp and temp gauge and CHT gauge ....don't ASSUME anything with 40 yr old wiring

NOTE ; one great idea I read on Samba was to use the trailer disconnect plug as an engine disconnect plug for all your gauges .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
decriminalizpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

fixed it! we feel so proud. found a broken black wire that goes to ignition coil. wire was to short and when coil jiggled in the bracket and dropped down a smidge must have snapped it. extended wire and new end piece put it on coil and she fired right up

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

You need to stop driving it until you get that coil bolted to something...anything.

It has live, unfused battery voltage on one side and will burn your Bus up. That is, it will start a fire after it catches your fan belt, flips it off, and your melt your engine due to no cooling air.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

What he said^^^^^^. Do it now..... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
decriminalizpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

we did was trying to take a picture of where wire came off.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

What's up with the fan shroud and fresh air ports at 90 degrees to the fan?

I don't think that's early Bay, is it? I though that should be a single port 1600
decriminalizpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

don't know why the fan thing is pointed that way.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
What's up with the fan shroud and fresh air ports at 90 degrees to the fan?

Some crappy aftermarket fan shroud is my guess
decriminalizpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

fifty dollar lesson last night, my hippy left ignition key on. melted ignition coil this morning! who knew?
decriminalizpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

fifty dollar lesson last night, my hippy left ignition key on. melted ignition coil this morning! who knew?
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

decriminalizpot wrote:

Who is your "hippy"?

Also, you can't leave the key on, you can and will burn your points up.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

I know that there are a pile of fan shrouds out there both OEM and aftermarket. Some do a much better job of cooling than others. I would be worried about the fan shroud that you are using as it doesn't look like it is going to be a doghouse style cooler. Others may know better though. I have heard that the best fan shrouds are the late seventies Beetle shrouds that had a venturi built into the fan intake to boost the flow a bit.

Your hippie does know that he can tighten down the pinch bolt so that the bracket will fit tight on the coil?

If you need to leave the ignition switch on for some reason then removing the green wire from the coil will stop the current flow through the coil and points. (This will be some different color wire if you have some form of electronic ignition.) Of course your engine will not start and run until you properly reconnect this wire.

Last edited by Wildthings on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If you need to leave the ignition switch on for some reason then removing the green wire from the coil will stop the current flow through the coil and points. (This will be some different color wire if you have some form of electronic ignition.) Of course your engine will not start and run until you properly reconnect this wire.

Seems there's some sort of electronicalish points replacement module in there, hopefully it's the later style that resists burnout from key left on instances. Removing the red wire would apply here.

Odd that it still works with the black wires on the same terminal though, or is the odd blue wire #15 and the thin black wire goes somewhere else? Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

decriminalizpot wrote:

errrbody
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Odd that it still works with the black wires on the same terminal though, or is the odd blue wire #15 and the thin black wire goes somewhere else? Confused

The blue wire looks like it is feeding the fuel cutoff solenoid and thus likely the choke coil. The blue wire should be on the same terminal as the OEM black wire. Adding some kind of labels to the wires for the electronic ignition would help prevent hooking it up backwards, some form of color coding would work also.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

Stop, park, and lock your Bus.

Read the entire John Muir book slowly from front to back.

Now, take the book, and read it again, looking at each part of your Bus he talks about that you can.

These cars were designed in an era when one is in touch with your Ass, as it bears you. They are unforgiving for the type that leaves the key on.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 kombi died while driving Reply with quote

Or, be careful when you smoke that stuff and you won't forget to turn off the ignition....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: