Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Hey oprn....no they are not kadrons....actually cheap empi duals...they have worked well for me. I completely removed 1 stack of leaves...I have a ball joint front end and the set screwa..or maybe grub screws screw against the control arms without the stack of leaves. The ride is so much better!!..I have used a filler cap from a 2002 ram ...it works and looks great.
Thx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So with a successful drive I decided to fix everything in the most difficult to the easiest order. I needed to raise my seats for the correct height. I decided a Raised height of 2" would work, I had a few different ideas but in the end some 1" x 2" tubing worked well. Next I had cut the hole in the fiberglass for the gas fill but wasn't quite sure what exact lid would work. I seen a guy on ebay that listed the size with a ruler and I knew it would work well, it worked out great. I installed the roll bar and installed the seat belts. I had to install the seat belts to the underside of the sliders so it would all move together when changing seat position. With that out of the way I went back to the wiring. I mounted all 4 stereo speakers and wired everything so it would work. I had front turn signal that I really liked but they were only single bulbs so there was no running light. I took the lights apart put in a 1157 socket...drilled the wire access holes a little larger and had exactly what I wanted.....both running lights and turn signals. I ran a little more wiring... temp gauge, dash light, fog lights...ect. MY plan is to run the wiring so it is easy to disconnect to remove the hood. My last buggy I had from 25 years ago had a removable hood that was very convenient. I chose to make sure the wiring would all disconnect so if needed I could remove it without too much trouble. today I finished the wiring except for the seat heaters. Tomorrow I will neaten the wiring up a bit more. Since the weather here is too cold to paint... my plan is to put almost everything together then disassemble for painting. It may take a bit longer but at least I don't have to worry about scratching new paint. I mentioned my old buggy from 25 years ago...I found a old pic....I never did too much to this buggy except for the road worthy minimum... , but during the summer months I did enjoy it!! It was what inspired me to start a new one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

chriswitvw wrote:
Hello 57 blitz....yes after all the work...very happy to drive it again!!!
And yes...good eye...a clod hopper...nice thick fiberglass...I really like it!!!

I am working on one also! Cool

Have you seen this . . . it's cool . . .
theredbarn wrote:
FiberFab Clodhopper assembly manual:
http://www.fiberfab.us/manuals/clodhopper.pdf

chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

57blitz......Thank you...no I have not seen this assembly manual, i will keep it, very cool. I like my clodhopper... a nicely made buggy! We have been through a lot....
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Just an update of my progress. I am trying to plan and finish any tasks so that when my buggy is painted the risk of paint damage is minimized by assembly and disassembly. I went through and finished the wiring harness. I have added some things like a dash light, I also ordered a stereo amp.. Since I filled in all the body holes I will put the hood on and drill the mounting holes for easy alignment after paint. I will begin to finish the bodywork on the hood to be ready for paint.I have made the wiring harness so the hood will be removable...but I would not say absolutely easily. I have taken everything back apart to be ready for interior paint. I have some of the raptor bed paint left over from the chassis so I will use that. The weather here in mi. is getting better, in a few days it will be 50 degrees so I am planning on painting the inside this week. As I approach the final run of this project I am really getting excited...seeing all my work beginning to come together and after a year off it will be completed for me to enjoy this summer!!
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1758780.jpg[/img]
I have made some progress but I am slowing down a bit because the weather here in mi. has gone downhill again. Today it is snowing AGAIN here and really slowing down the painting process!! but it is giving me the time to make sure everything is done well and the way I want it to be done. I tired to remember everything I did not like about my buggy that had been done before and correct it. I always hated looking for a proper ground when doing any wiring so I installed a common ground bar to the front fiberglass to make everything easier. I used green heat shrink to identify all ground terminals. I installed a modern fuse panel conveniently for easy fuse change. I also did not like having to remember to turn everything off so I did not come out and find a dead battery so this time I wired up relays that had the control wire off of the ignition terminal so when the key is off it turns off the accessories. I used wire wraps and looms so everything is all nice and tidy. No more wire nuts.....I added a horn button...found a nice horn button from china that turned out to be very nice and cheap....worked out well with some mounting modification. I ordered a second dash light to match the drivers side light....put it in this morning. I am really trying to take my time and do everything correctly so when it comes time to drive it it will not give me any problems. I have stripped everything out of the car and have started sanding and taping....it should be 70 degrees this week so I should be able to paint the inside soon. I really am looking forward to having my buggy ready to drive this summer!!

Last edited by chriswitvw on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
MystixVintageCruisn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Can't wait to see the finished build! My VW is in indiana and my mom recently told me it's been snowing a bit. I hope the weather clear up for the both of us.
I'm worried about the condensation and how it will affect my car, I'm just thinking about treating it as soon as I get back to Indy.
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Hey thx Mystix....Good luck on your van!!...These builds take a lot of work but in the end its worth it!! Soon the weather should finally get better.
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

So the weather finally warmed up into the 70's,,,enough for me to paint the inside of my buggy. I used the leftover Raptor bed liner I used on the entire chassis. I was very happy with the way it turned out. Unfortunately the weather has gone down hill AGAIN...but I will get everything ready to paint the outside. I am doing bodywork on the hood then I will sand the side pods. I will prime everything then I will paint all the body parts at once. In the background I am also doing some things like painting the exhaust. It was ceramic coated but did not last very long so I now use a quick coat of vht paint to help it look better. I also ordered some orange lug nuts to match the final paint color.....I should definitely be ready for summer!!
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

While it was cold I was trying to accomplish some odd ball things like sand and paint the exhaust, lights ect...but the weather has warmed up so I could finally get back to the body work. I had completed the tub last year....it was ready for paint. I decided to get everything ready for paint so I could paint everything at once. I sanded and primed the side pods. The hood was in very poor shape so I started with a heavy grit then used epoxy to fill any holes. I then used glazing compound to cover the entire hood...after sanding I used some filler primer then a light re glaze for any imperfections I missed and a final coat of primer. This morning I did a final wet sanding on everything so I will watch the weather and plan my paint day....I am definitely in the home stretch...it will be ready soon!!!
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

PAINTED YES!!!
I started off this morning nice and early, the duney was already taped and masked so I rolled it out of the building, did a little plastic on the wheels ect and it was ready to go. Got the airlines ready, started the compressor and I was ready. Mixed up the paint and waited for the morning dew to evaporate and by 10:30 was shooting. By 11:30 I had 2 coats of paint on. Mixed the clear and by lunch time had 4 coats of clear on and was admiring my work. Waited a few hours and sanded a few runs and a few uncooperative insects. Did a cut and buff and was happy with my results. I am by no means a body and paint expert...I have done a few paint jobs that were barely exceptable...I decided my buggy deserved better so I from the beginning decided to really try on this one, I am pleased....it is not quite a showroom paint job but Iam really proud of my personal best paint job. Soon I will assemble everything to get it ready for summer!!!!
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

WOW!!! Shocked
What a HUGE improvement! VERY NICE! Cool
How much base did you use for the two coats? More than two quarts?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Man that is one awesome job for outside! I have never been that lucky, mine would have been full of bugs, dry leaves and grass!

And cat tracks of course...
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

thx oprn......yes it has turned out beautiful.....my neighbor came over yesterday....he has done much painting and cant believe how good it looks....he was drilling me on what gun...what products ect.....it is great when something you work hard on turns out right!!!
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Well I have been working on my buggy to get it ready for our short summer here in MI....I really like the way that im putting it together. I'm pre-thinking everything and ordering ahead everything I need so this time it is done exactly right. I ordered some cnc plated finish washers to mount my side pods...the install looks great now. I have used all stainless socket cap screws and buttonheads for everything including the rear tail lights, body mounting screws, windshield mounts ect. It feels good to take the time for the details. I painted my headlights and exhaust. Installed the seats with 2 pt harnesses. chrome gass fill cover. rebuffed the windshield frame. I used green accent color lights for the gauges this time. Everything is turning out quite well....I am happy with my progress...Soon it will be completed for this summer!!!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Looking very good indeed!
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Beautiful color and quality.
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Hey guys.....thank you for the comments....it was some pretty hard work....but I will love it this summer!!!....I am really glad I have taken the time neccessary to do it right!
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Installed the top..used all brand new stainless snaps. I like to keep it handy. I got caught in the rain once without it, was not fun....Lol. I don't have the side or back windows in...but I have them
I installed the wipers and a few other things....getting in the home stretch!!!!..Making a final list of the items to complete.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

We are not running a top. Personal choice based on this Buggy being a compromise the wife and I reached. I wanted a road bike (no top on those) to do some summer touring on, she said "no." With this Buggy I get my open sky experience and she gets the security of 4 wheels on the road.

As far as rain goes we carry Bike style rain gear and have used them but we find at highway speeds we stay pretty dry in the rain. Slowing down for the city traffic is another story altogether!

Enjoy that Buggy of yours, top and all! Sweet ride!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: