Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for alignment/toe-in tutorial
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for alignment/toe-in tutorial Reply with quote

Just for reference, I have driven about 100 miles since replacing the front tires. With measuring the center thread of each tire, correlating the distance with a tape, from back to front, I was able to bring in the difference necessary for getting the proper toe-in.

Original measurements were done so on the old (replaced) tires and caused me to have the slightest, faintest pull going right down the highway, upon doing this assessment again with the new tires, I think I’ve got in set pretty darn close.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for alignment/toe-in tutorial Reply with quote

For toe in, they should just lock the thread after the Tom Powell method is explained. It's by far the simplest and probably the most accurate method. If your wheels have runout, you have other problems that you probably already noticed.... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for alignment/toe-in tutorial Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Quote:
So I managed to ruin two good front tires with a terrible (eye ball) alignment. I have two new tires to replace the badly bald interior tires and am trying to set toe-in... So, I measured the distance between the two rear tires

nice try

front tire toe is set between the front side of the front tires and the back of the front tires.

Rear tire toe is set between the front side of the rear tires and the back of the rear tires. You don't mix front and rear tires.

So for clarification, I am measuring the distance between the back of the FRONT tires, in correlation to the FRONT of the FRONT tires.
Basically creating a ever so slightly “V” with the front tires alone?

yes. the ^ points forward with the back of the front tires about 1/16th to 3/16" wider. That is called toe-in. If the front was wider it would be toe-out which would make the tires squirrelly. The purpose of the slight toe-in is to keep the suspension parts under slight pressure so the tires don't wander. Camber is the same measurement but from top to bottom. On an open formula race car that can be set with a tape measure too. On a car where the body is in the way it takes special equipment to get it right and a perfectly level surface. There are settings like that for the rear tires too. Then there is the setting to be sure both the front and rear tires are traveling the same direction. If the rear is off to either side the car will crab going down the road.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for alignment/toe-in tutorial Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

yes. the ^ points forward with the back of the front tires about 1/16th to 3/16" wider.

The book spec is 1/8" +/- of toe at the wheel diameter, which translates to 1/4" +/- at the tire tread.

I do tend to run mine with a bit less toe as it cuts down on the self steer when being blown around in the wind. Each vehicle and each set of tires is a bit different and minor adjustments of the say 1/16" in the toe can make a noticeable difference in how the van responds in the wind. When I get new tires, if the handling is not to my liking, I will try some minor variations to the toe to see if I can improve it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: