Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1776 not starting`
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
plimthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

Finally assembled my 1776 and fully installed, oil topped up , fuel connected and fresh fuel. Ignition is pertronix flamethrower1 with matching coil. Valves set. New spark plugs.
Tried a few turns of the key to build up oil pressure... perfect no problem light goes off. A few more turns and get the fuel pumping into carb, manually move throttle arm on carb and can see fuel squirting into carb throat, perfect.
Check each lead with a correctly gapped plug against crankcase, nice spark every time. Excellent.
Put it all together and turn key... nothing.
An occasional cough and a pop but not even any glimpse of ignition.
Ideas Please?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

Did you verify whether or not you’re were getting spark?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
plimthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

yes, checked sparking against crankcase whilst someone cranked engine over, did this with each lead.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

maybe your timing is 180 degrees off. There are two TDC for each time the distributor passes TDC. Make sure you are on the correct one.
plimthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

checked that, all ok
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

What Cam?
What Carb(s)?
What is your Timing set at?
What jets (if different than stock)?
What is the carb set at (screw turns)?

What dizzy? are all the hoses connected correctly?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plimthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

34pict3 carb
standard jets
timing is only statically timed as it hasn't ran yet
distributer is a 009 with pertronics elec ignition
plimthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

and stock cam.
And carb set to initial settings given by the carb instructions.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

I would have someone crank it while slowly turning the distributor back and forth looking for a pop. Use a squirt bottle to shoot a small amount of gas directly into the carburetor throat.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plimthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

2nd person is hard to come by at moment lol so ive purchased a remote starter switch which should help.
Battery on charge again now. Going to start from scratch again tomorrow, ive rebuilt quite a few engines now and they usually come to life after a few mins... this one is a big. So I guess ive done something wrong somewhere!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

plimthing wrote:
2nd person is hard to come by at moment lol so ive purchased a remote starter switch which should help.
Battery on charge again now. Going to start from scratch again tomorrow, ive rebuilt quite a few engines now and they usually come to life after a few mins... this one is a big. So I guess ive done something wrong somewhere!

I'd check valve adjustments (which will also require verifying the 180* off) and make sure my static timing is per Bentley. If it wont start, add some timing until it does then make sure your timing light is handy so you don't exceed 30* full advance. Back off your timing once you can for the brake in.

(but then again, I've never built an engine. I'm just an engineer with a fascination and a knack for fiddling. I have dealt with engines not wanting to start)

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

I know this sounds silly, but I didn't see you mention it, Did you ever check the compression? Is the gas your using freash ? Are your spark plug wires in correct order ? Maybe you have a big air leak? Are your manifolds to cylindrr heads tight and tight and on the carb to manifold good too ? Sometimes its the simplest things. Sounds like you have air, fuel , and spark so I would look into the human error sounds of things
plimthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

I haven't checked compression, but I will do. May sound weird but it sounds right when I crank it, or even just rotate engine with a wrench, so I'm as confident as I can be that there is compression.
Gas is fresh, a day old.
everything is bolted on tight with correct gaskets.
So tomorrow I will start again from scratch...get #1 at TDC , ensure rotor is pointing at notch in distributor rim, ensure distributor drive is at 90deg to crankcase joint and large sector at front. Then set valves.
See what happens! thanks for guidance, will report results.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

If you getting spark and fuel, I'd zero in on the firing order. We've all plugged them into the cap wrong in our lives. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

Also double check the rotor cap - make sure the center rider in the cap is intact with the spring action. I had one pop out on me once and that was the only reason it did not start.. I also second the idea of double/triple checking firing order with spark plug connections.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
If you getting spark and fuel, I'd zero in on the firing order. We've all plugged them into the cap wrong in our lives. Wink

Maybe you have Bill but not me. I’m freaking perfect and never make mistakes. Oh wait... I just woke up.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

Pull #1 spark plug, then rotate with a wrench until you feel compression pressure in #1 spark plug hole. Now check the distributor rotor and see which plug it's pointing to.. Could be the distributor drive is 180 out...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

Just for grins swap all your wires 180° on the cap and give it a whirl.
plimthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

So.....
When I assembled engine, set timing, set valves, covers on done and dusted.
Prior to engine start up checked valves.... 'they were out' I thought.... so I adjusted valves.. engine didn't start that's when I cam on here...
So just for grins as wildthings put it, swapped wires 180degrees.... and she runs lol
Seems I set timing correctly during build, then altered it 180 deg prior to running.
Embarassed
LIVE AND LEARN HEY!
Wont be first and wont be last to have done that!
Many Thanks
Anyway second problem, generator light stays on. Any ideas? how can I check my alternator?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 not starting` Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: