Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's the trick to getting a BA6 hot air combustion fan off??
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: What's the trick to getting a BA6 hot air combustion fan off?? Reply with quote

I finally decided to tackle getting my BA6 up and running (has never been functional in the seven years I've had my bus)

After disconnecting it (most of the hose clamps and fuel lines completely disintegrated) and putting it on my work bench, I began trying to pull it all apart... 'Trying' being the operative word here.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think I ended up damaging my hot air combustion fan in the process of trying to remove it Embarassed . Luckily I ended up scoring a complete BA6 off a local Samba member for a steal of a deal (thanks Paul!).

Now that I have this second unit, I'm trying once again to remove the hot air combustion fan but it is just as stuck as the first one Confused Is there some sort of trick? Can it be removed without popping the rivets on the main unit? Or are these things just a PITA after father time has worked his magic?
www.instagram.com/TheHippieVanMan
www.youtube.com/thehippievanman
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the trick to getting a BA6 hot air combustion fan off?? Reply with quote

Once the clamp is removed...it should pull straight out. Just do not catch the impeller blades on the inside edge. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the trick to getting a BA6 hot air combustion fan off?? Reply with quote

'Should' ... thinking I might need to pop the rivets because it is not budging at all.

I definitely caught the blades on the first one (pictured above). Even after separating the two, they are still stuck together..

Another quick question, is there some sort of 1/2" gasket between the combustion fan and main unit? I don't even know how to describe it (not metal or plastic, but it sort of crumbled apart like stone...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the trick to getting a BA6 hot air combustion fan off?? Reply with quote

I had the same issue a couple years ago when I first did mine. It had corroded so much it just didn't come out - ended up damaging the housing. I had a parts unit I got from the classifieds here, so it wasn't all that big deal - and what I did get out wasn't really usable anyway.
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the trick to getting a BA6 hot air combustion fan off?? Reply with quote

finally got the motor off my original BA6 but the fan housing is stuck in the main unit still Confused . Put some penetrating fluid and wd40 on the new donor to sit overnight before attempting to get it off. Perhaps some heat would help?

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: What's the trick to getting a BA6 hot air combustion fan off?? Reply with quote

WD40 is not a penetrating oil.

Use Kroil, PB Blaster, Loctite, or ATF/acetone mix
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: What's the trick to getting a BA6 hot air combustion fan off?? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
WD40 is not a penetrating oil.

Use Kroil, PB Blaster, Loctite, or ATF/acetone mix

Yes....but just do not get sloppy with it. There are more than a few plastics and insulating materials inside where the points assemblies are.

Make SERIOUS note of eactly where the impeller is on the shaft in relation to the housing when you remove the cover and then the impeller.. There is an exact spec for it that is in the manual. It removes from the shaft with a set screw as you have found looking at the pictures.
Usually the gap is specific. If the impeller is too far from the motor housing it can rub on the alluminum dome cap and damage both....and the airflow spaces will be reduced and so will flow. If its too close to the motor housing the spaces between the impeller dome and cover will be too large....and while this will not impede flow volume.....it reduces airflow pressure and velocity.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: What's the trick to getting a BA6 hot air combustion fan off?? Reply with quote

TheHippieVanMan wrote:
'Should' ... thinking I might need to pop the rivets because it is not budging at all.

I definitely caught the blades on the first one (pictured above). Even after separating the two, they are still stuck together..

Another quick question, is there some sort of 1/2" gasket between the combustion fan and main unit? I don't even know how to describe it (not metal or plastic, but it sort of crumbled apart like stone...

Removing the rivits will only allow the cover to come off. It will not help you get the fan out.

And yes that is a gasket that is crumbling. Might be asbestos and might not be...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: What's the trick to getting a BA6 hot air combustion fan off?? Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
TheHippieVanMan wrote:

Removing the rivits will only allow the cover to come off. It will not help you get the fan out.

And yes that is a gasket that is crumbling. Might be asbestos and might not be...

I am not sure on the BA6...but that gasket on the BA4 which is very similar...was a graphite flat gasket if I remember. Its been 30 years since I have seen a new part for it.

Long ago I have taken to simply putting a thin even bead of high temp silicone between the vane cap and motor housing and a even bead between cap and combustion chamber. Let this dry completely before installing. This adheres the cap to the motor...making it easier to install... and makes a thin, compressible high temp flat gasket between body and combustion chamber.

I have never had a problem with it. This part does not get that hot with the air flowing through it. Ray
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the trick to getting a BA6 hot air combustion fan off?? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. I've shifted focus for the moment to finishing my new interior. I'll hopefully get back to this in the coming weeks once it's too cold to be working on the bus outdoors.

btw in my original post I said "penetrating fluid and wd40", I know one is not the other and vice versa Wink
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: What's the trick to getting a BA6 hot air combustion fan off?? Reply with quote

TheHippieVanMan wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. I've shifted focus for the moment to finishing my new interior. I'll hopefully get back to this in the coming weeks once it's too cold to be working on the bus outdoors.

btw in my original post I said "penetrating fluid and wd40", I know one is not the other and vice versa Wink

I had the same problem years ago. Think the 2 dissimilar metals have basically welded themselves together through galvanic corrosion. Never got mine apart. If you give up and want a replacement burner, I have a extra one kicking around you can have.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: