Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Dwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

I have an apparent vacuum leak. I suspect it is the faulty hose between the air plenum and the aux regulator.
It turns over, idles for 3 seconds, dies. This happens 4 or 5 times then before it sounds like it's about to die, it struggles to idle then idles rough for a few minutes. Then its sounds perfect and drives great.
I was having an issue with the engine dying and replaced the temp II sensor then this starting issue presented itself: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670006&highlight=

I know the hose is messed up from the last time I messed with it but am not sure why it would become my new problem after replacing the temp sensor.

Does anyone know where to source a replacement rubber hose (G) that is 14mm inner diameter?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 SuperVert

"Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold. Acapulco gold!" Robert Plant
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

Take your regulator or a spare and go to the parts store find a heater hose or equivalent that fits snug. It'll be such a short length between that and the plenum you won't have to worry about it collapsing

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1327091

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

It is just 14mm (inside diameter) vacuum hose.

http://www.airheadparts.com/Hose-14mm-VaporEmissions-per-meter/item/N203711

https://www.belmetric.com/braided-metric-hose-oem-...p-955.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

I didn't realize he was still selling them. I own this piece, among others, from this same vendor. It's a first class quality part.

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
James Dwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Sweet. Thanks!
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 SuperVert

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

If you can force it to fit a piece of 1/2" silicone heater hose would do the job well and should be available at better autoparts stores
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

I didn't realize he was still selling them. I own this piece, among others, from this same vendor. It's a first class quality part.

x2.
I hope Geebee doesn't give up on bay owners. His stuff is top notch. Got everything for my FI overhaul that he offers. Not disappointed.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
James Dwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

Wel that was disappointing. I asked if the $9.50 included shipping. I got this:

"Contact bus lab
I have a min po"

I asked, "what?"

Reply:

"I have a 105.00 min po
We sell therein a complete set of four

I have dealers that purchase 12 min of each.

I would rather do my aircraft products"

His ad clearly says that he sells them for $9.50 and doesn't say anything about min po or buying a set.

Guess I'll go to my local friendly Irish auto part store and look for a 1/2 heater hose. Rolling Eyes
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 SuperVert

aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

James Dwan wrote:

"Contact bus lab
I have a min po"

I asked, "what?"

Reply:

"I have a 105.00 min po

His ad clearly says that he sells them for $9.50 and doesn't say anything about min po or buying a set.

Guess I'll go to my local friendly Irish auto part store and look for a 1/2 heater hose. Rolling Eyes

He makes a really good product..... not sure if cheap bus people pissed him off or vice versa... but customer service wasn't a strong suit when I dealt with him either...

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
James Dwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

Well good news! I just got off the phone with Bus Lab and I will have it mailed for less than $5.
He also indicated that GeeBee was a bit rough around the edges.

I've never heard about Bus Lab but they seemed nice so I will add them to my list of vendors.
Thanks again!
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 SuperVert

my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

You might want to lay in an extra AB ( the 90 degree turn hose) as they split at the bottom of the 90 where it is damn near impossible to see.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
You might want to lay in an extra AB ( the 90 degree turn hose) as they split at the bottom of the 90 where it is damn near impossible to see.

Or have one on order and one in the spare parts box

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

I force fed Stuart's '78 bus with a piece of 1/2 inch heater hose on November 3rd so Tony and I could move it down the driveway. I didn't realize that he would be picking it up and driving across the country in two months, but the hose is holding fine.

I second buying an extra elbow to keep around. There are good ones and bad ones, and it sucks to discover a bad one on the side of the road somewhere..

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

I picked mine up from Bus Lab a few months ago. It's a really nice molded hose specifically for that use.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
Curtquarquesso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

James Dwan wrote:

"Contact bus lab
I have a min po"

I asked, "what?"

Reply:

"I have a 105.00 min po

Had the exact same experience with him. Why does he have the AAR-to-plenum "G" hose listed in the classifieds for $9.50 if you HAVE to buy it as part of a set? Needlessly confusing and misleading. Told me the same bit about how he'd rather just work on aircraft parts. All he did was casual-brag about all the collector/show cars he's sold parts for, and told me selling to me wasn't worth his time. Shame that he won't sell to anyone who isn't able to drop a bunch of cash on an order with him. I'm sure he makes a fine product, just a shame he has to act like such an ass over the phone when you make an honestly inquiry about a product.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

He told me small orders aren’t worth the effort. I don’t think he does this because he loves buses.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

do the math. $25 part, cost of postage no handling, takes half hour of time to package and ship for a yield of $15 an hour while listening to everyone telling the same story (or whining about wanting it for less) - not everyone is interested in running their business that way.

In Orange Co CA anyone below about $60,000 a year is considered to be below poverty level. That is $5000 a month before personal taxes but after paying the cost of operations. 22 days in a working month that is $227 a day just to exit poverty. That is about $30 an hour of work. Offering half that for an hour's work isn't going to make sense to anyone. I own all GeeBee's bus stuff. It is excellent and frankly, under priced.

Last edited by SGKent on Fri May 18, 2018 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for NLA vacuum hose for FI Auxiliary Air Regulator? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
do the math. $25 part, cost of postage no handling, takes half hour of time to package and ship for a yield of $15 an hour while listening to everyone telling the same story (or whining about wanting it for less) - not everyone is interested in running their business that way.

In Orange Co CA anyone below about $60,000 a year is considered to be below poverty level. That is $5000 a month before personal taxes but after paying the cost of operations. 22 days in a working month that is $227 an hour to just exit poverty. That is about $30 an hour of work. Offering half that for an hour's work isn't going to make sense to anyone. I own all GeeBee's bus stuff. It is excellent and frankly, under priced.

Yep....well stated.

I would also note.....that if tjat hose is bad....probably your other hoses of the same age have the same problem. Ordering in a complete high quality set actually makes sense....and makes it more affordable for this guy to service you.....one shipping price....more income for the same effort for him.

The airplane guys do not have the option of just replacing things as they fail one at a time. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: