Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Beam Lubrication
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have bug 1966
How often need to do front beam lubrication?
Red grease is good?

Why it's important to do this job?

Thanks
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

How often? Not sure. None ever comes out. When in doubt, pump some in.

The machine shop I worked at used a Blue Valvoline grease. I'm sure red would suffice.

The trailing arms need lubrication for all the rotating they do inside of the beams. There are also needle bearings inside that need lube for obvious reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

VW said every 6000 miles. Probably more often on rough or dusty roads.

I used to add a little grease every 3000 on my '65 with it's king and link pins. I adjusted the link point and front brakes that often on tune-up/oil change day; a little overkill but I wanted the tightest steering and best brakes I could get out of the stock setup.

The ball joints go much further, so your '66 with its BJ front end can go the 6000 with no trouble.

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

Check your owner's manual. VW usually specified greasing the four beam nipples once per year, if driven less than 6000 miles. I give mine a small shot every year.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

My mechanic sometime use to add a little grease till it's come out and that's it.
Sometime he do it, some time he don't

I've read that need do this until ALL of the old grease is out. This isn’t a fill up, it’s a replacement of grease. is that correct?

Again, why it's important to do this job?

This is a good grease fot this job?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

Kingpins and link pins should be greased often, maybe 4 times a year.
I think it is best to use grease intended for large trucks/heavy equiptment/mining. Color doesn't really matter, but it should say on the container what it is intended for.

The beam Will hold a lot of grease and tends to stay well sealed, so I only give the beam a pump or two each time.
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Kingpins and link pins should be greased often, maybe 4 times a year.
I think it is best to use grease intended for large trucks/heavy equiptment/mining. Color doesn't really matter, but it should say on the container what it is intended for.

The beam Will hold a lot of grease and tends to stay well sealed, so I only give the beam a pump or two each time.

4 times a year?? really? it's not too much?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

I did twice a year and my link pins rusted Neutral

Never have any trouble with the bearings in the beam yet, but the kingpins and the washers......often rusty and worn. balljoint is a big improvement in this respect.
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

O.K.
My bug is 1966, yet the beam is not kingpin, it's the later model of 1968-1977, it was replaced over the years by previous owners I guess, do it doesn't matter.

Thanks
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

Just for clarity, does anyone have a photo, picture, or diagram with all the spots that should be greased? And for a kingpin front end, as well?
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

Ofir wrote:
O.K.
My bug is 1966, yet the beam is not kingpin, it's the later model of 1968-1977, it was replaced over the years by previous owners I guess, do it doesn't matter.

Thanks

For most countries, export models switched to ball joints around mid-1965, for the 1966 model year, so your's would likely be factory beam.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
Ofir wrote:
O.K.

Thanks

For most countries, export models switched to ball joints around mid-1965, for the 1966 model year, so your's would likely be factory beam.

I guess you're right.
All the parts were original, I replaced the steering box it was original with VW logo, I also replaced right outer tie rod, I saw VW logo on it! I have the bug 17 years and never replaced tie rods on it. This is the 1st time.
Maybed the tie rod on the car 50 years? I don't know, maybe.
Inside the car, the interior is like brand new.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Just for clarity, does anyone have a photo, picture, or diagram with all the spots that should be greased? And for a kingpin front end, as well?

It's in the Owners Manuals, in the Technical section here.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

You lube the front end because otherwise you get metal-on-metal contact, friction, wear, and rust. Same as lubing anything else.

On each side, the pair of torsion arms rotate inside the tube as you go over bumps, and the bearings/bushings that hold the arm inside the axle tubes need to be lubricated or they wear out and rust.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

the other lesser known reason to pump grease in, is to push the dirt and water out.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

Thanks much to all for the sharing!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Lubrication Reply with quote

so... they need lube Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: