Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bobtail vs. bazookas
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

So, as I have spent the last couple of evenings grinding my 6 volt bell housing to accept a 12 volt flywheel, I will soon be ready to install an exhaust system. I really wanted to install a bobtail quiet pack but I see they don't come with heat riser flanges. I live in Las Vegas and I don't know how much of a difference that will make. I do like the look of bazookas on a buggy and they are readily available with heat risers. Will bazookas really affect the performance that much? I really don't want to mess with adding heat risers to an exhaust system. Thanks.

Last edited by aluk on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

If you are running a stock single carb, heat risers really help. I'm running a 1600 with a 34 PICT 3 without heat risers, and it takes a long time to warm up and run nicely. I live in the temperate central coast of California.

I had EMPI dual cannons with heat risers on my last buggy, and they sounded great (though loud when you get on the throttle) and had heat riser flanges which got the carb and manifolds warm quickly. On a stock motor, the difference in performance will be small, but a 4 into 1 extractor will make a bigger difference as displacement and induction increase in size.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

I switched from Bazookas to a 4 in 1 and felt a lot more torque. Great change and the neighbors are much happier too!

- Jeff
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

I went from dual cannons to a merged on a 1776 and couldn't really tell a difference in performance. I ran a bobtail for about an hour before I lopped it off and installed a muffler, it was unbearably loud. I've run single Webers and Dellortos and stock 30s and 34s on manifolds with no heat risers and the carbs worked very well, and I live in a much cooler and humid climate. It's your car do what ultimately makes you happy. IF you aren't looking for every last hp or ft/lb of torque, go with cannons. I like the way they fill out the back of the car.

brad
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

Dual cannons/Bazookas sure will fit 1200 - 1600. No problem. They don't care how wide the engine is.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

[quote="BIGMIKEY"]Dual cannons/Bazookas sure will fit 1200 - 1600. No problem. They don't care how wide the engine is.

Mike T[/quote
You are correct, my bad. Doh!
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

EMPI has a 1 1/2" four into one quiet muffler Baja type with pre-heater connections for about $150

http://vwcatalog.empius.com/vwcatalog/2016/170.html

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-3368

You could also buy the off-road model for $130 and take it to a muffler shop to have pre-heater flanges welded on and a quiet muffler fitted

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-D-2052
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

yes you can tell a difference. On my Dunebuggy with a 1756 I went 1/2 second quicker in the 1/4 mile when switching from dual cannons to a merged exhaust.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

My buggy with a stock 1600 and dual exhaust will do 80mph on the interstate without much effort, which is plenty fast enough for me. If you aren't racing you won't notice the difference. Get whatever exhaust you like.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

Went from Bazookas to a proper header on our buggy. NOTICABLE difference in low end. Started with a bob-tail, but hated the look of all that hanging off the ass end. Went to a 1 3/8" (DONT go larger) U bend from A1 and added a short .....went brain dead...what the hell is it called....OH YEAH - Super trap. Nice tone, very good performance and only loud when you are really on it and its really not that bad.. BUT doesnt resolve head riser issue. Just get dual carbs...You will like them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

I like Murzi's Hayabusa muffler solution...

bnc
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

Dont mean to hijack a thread, Im looking for an exhaust that I saw on a buggy over seas. I was communicating with a guy on FB about it , it was on his buggy, its dual cannons but he said it was really quite. It looked like gun barrels with pea shooters out the end. I cant find the post. He said they have limited performance options over there, he said that set was 400 euros. Didnt know if someone knew what I was describing.
ECRAB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

I still wish there was a sticky somewhere with links to videos of the different exhaust types on buggies. There is a few here and there, most are bad, the camera set up right behind the exhaust or basically way too close. Best is hearing it start up in a garage from afar and the drive by cruising and then another pass hard on the throttle. That is my wish Smile
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

ECRAB3 wrote:
I still wish there was a sticky somewhere with links to videos of the different exhaust types on buggies. There is a few here and there, most are bad, the camera set up right behind the exhaust or basically way too close. Best is hearing it start up in a garage from afar and the drive by cruising and then another pass hard on the throttle. That is my wish Smile

The problem is that unless you are using the same method to record the sound, its pretty much worthless to do. But totally with you on the wish.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

I am currently running a baffled chrome stinger on my street buggy. I'm rolling with a 2109 and a Bobcat exhaust.. It's just too loud, but I hate to give up the stinger look. I wondering how effective in reducing the exhaust note that Hayabusa muffler is?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

My buggy came with dual cannons and dual Kadrons. Bad combination in my experience, can't get a decent dependable idle and the low end is poor. My sand rail on the other hand has the stock single center mounted carb and canons - actually runs ok.

Both buggys are too loud for comfort on long rides though.

Question: how the heck do you bobtail guys manage work on anything on your engine with all those hot pipes in the way? Specifically the distributor and timing.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

Heat risers definitely help with a single carb. I never liked the sound of duals, either in the buggy or on the Thing, too much flapping sound and usually not enough back pressure. I like the standard header with either a QP or stinger for heat risers...but I'm running the Manx Sidewinder glass pack and enjoying it quite a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

My old copy of Hot VWs had an article on bolt-on products available to increase hp. The article said 15% hp gain for 4 in 1 headers versus cannons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

tgodber wrote:
My old copy of Hot VWs had an article on bolt-on products available to increase hp. The article said 15% hp gain for 4 in 1 headers versus cannons.

I have learned over the years not to get too excited about claims made whether by manufacturers or the magazines they sponsor. Ok, 15%(I would not have guessed that much) but - under what conditions, what other engine mods and is it at a usable rpm for practical every day driving?

"Individual results may vary" is the key here!

My reasons for not liking cannons is purely noise and drivability issues. My first 4 into 1 system went on a bone stock '71 super beetle and to tell you the truth I could not see or feel any difference in performance over the stuck muffler. But it looked and sounded cool... that was good enough for me back then!
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

This discussion comes up from time to time and the ball doesn't really move much because there hasn't really been much tech development in the area of providing exhaust options for an obsolete motor design...we gotta use what's out there 'cause nuthin' new will be coming down the pike.

A 10-15% change isn't likely to mean that much to someone running a 60-70hp motor. 6 or 7hp, the output of a rotary lawn mower. Yes, you'd notice it on the dragstrip. Would you notice it driving around town? Maybe a little. Should you make your header choice based on that? Probably not. Use what you think looks good and works with your other build plans. And maybe your living situation;

I think most dual cannons systems are painfully loud. This is of course, entirely subjective. Even with my 4-1 I coast into my drive if I come back into my neighborhood late in the evening. These are loud little cars to begin with and cannons are about the loudest exhaust option for them. If you live in the country and there is a lot of distance between you and your neighbors, the extra noise of cannons may not be an issue. If you live in the a city or a suburban neighborhood, you may find yourself in a few spirited exchanges with your near neighbors if you come home late or want to tune it in your driveway.

One other thing to think of is whether you are going to utilize a rear engine cage. You'll have to make sure your cage works with your exhaust choice.

So my point is that I wouldn't make your choice based on performance unless its a performance build and that's important to you. Several other practical and aesthetic considerations to factor in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: