Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bobtail vs. bazookas
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

Totally in agreement!

My '71 bug did 89 mph flat out with the original exhaust and it did not change with the extractor. I attribute that to the exhaust not being the limiting factor on that engine. It was more likely a breathing issue on the intake side. Those claimed gains don't happen on their own, they must be part of a "package".

You can put a 4" drain pipe on your sink but unless you change the 1/2" supply pipes to the tap you won't get any more water!
David Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

I thought I throw this in the mix. I like the idea of using that Hyabusa muffler from earlier in the tread, but wanted to keep my exhaust inside my rear bumper. I began to look at the Hyabusa threads on line, and found where a guy shortened his stock cans and redid the internals. I took the plunge, and I am really happy with the sound. It wreaked havoc on my jetting, but that can be worked thru. Here's what I came up with. I shortened mine about 8 inches and built a straight thru but baffled design.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

DW, That is a beautiful install. Post an audio file to rub it in further.

Jim
Manx #2614
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

I just scrapped the dual cannons on my buggy and went with an old extractor I had kicking around with a baffled megaphone. Sticks way out the back and is a total tripping hazard but so much quieter. Engine runs so much better now too, completely different on the bottom end and actually idles an all 4!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

An update on the 4 into one with baffled stinger vs cannons.

I love the sound now but we just got back from a 2 hour road trip and we have lost a sizable chunk of power on the highway! With the cannons the car would do 85 mph on the flat, now it struggles with 70 mph!

I was not expecting this.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

Suspect that something else happened....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Suspect that something else happened....

You were absolutely, right on the money, correct!

The throttle cable coupler had slipped and we were not getting full throttle travel. Missing that one was a rooky mistake!

Power is all back now plus maybe a tiny bit more.
buggy-gabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

4 years into owning my buggy I decided to try and quiet it down a bit, I was hesitant because I like the looks of the Bazooka's and the sound.
PLEASE FORGIVE HOW DIRTY SHE IS.... Last weekend we drove about 300 miles including some gravel road and I havent' washed her yet since I was doing the header work anyway.

See for yourself and comment please.

TURN UP YOUR SPEAKERS.....!!!!

Bazooka idle short
https://youtu.be/7k0RLT_lmT4

Tri-Mill Bobtail idle short
https://youtu.be/kFmK3pRaI_8

Bazooka revving long
https://youtu.be/5MkE2oFHKYg

Tri-Mill Bobtail revving long
https://youtu.be/0kyBBL4oeiM

Gabe
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

Cool! Big improvement on sound, how did it compare power wise?
buggy-gabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

I did some unscientific benchmark testing having my son time me with a stop watch and speedo. Before I took the Bazooka's off I did 6 consecutive zero to 40 mile an hour runs on a flat road. I was averaging 7.2 seconds (7.14~7.32). After the swap I could not get better than 7.7 seconds. I could definitely feel a loss of power on the low end. Also my shift points were different. With the Bazooka's I could reach 20 MPH in my speedo before shifting to 2nd and passed 40 in 2nd gear when I let off the gas. With the bobtail I was shifting to 2nd at around 18-19 MPH and then having to shift to 3rd before hitting 40.
I need to re-jet the carb because I'm having what it feels like a very rich condition. When you first hit the gas it bogs down and then on the top end it bogs down again but I have really good midrange.
You can hear the bogging a little bit on the long Bobtail video.
I'm headed to the beach tomorrow for a week so I'm actually gonna put the bazookas back on then when I get home I'm gonna mess with it again. I also think I'm going to put a stinger on it instead of this glass pack. I don't really like the looks of this exhaust and the fit is not that great either. It needs some tweaking so things line up right and I just don't have the time before we leave to mess with it much.
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

buggy-gabe wrote:
I did some unscientific benchmark testing having my son time me with a stop watch and speedo. Before I took the Bazooka's off I did 6 consecutive zero to 40 mile an hour runs on a flat road. I was averaging 7.2 seconds (7.14~7.32). After the swap I could not get better than 7.7 seconds. I could definitely feel a loss of power on the low end. Also my shift points were different. With the Bazooka's I could reach 20 MPH in my speedo before shifting to 2nd and passed 40 in 2nd gear when I let off the gas. With the bobtail I was shifting to 2nd at around 18-19 MPH and then having to shift to 3rd before hitting 40.
I need to re-jet the carb because I'm having what it feels like a very rich condition. When you first hit the gas it bogs down and then on the top end it bogs down again but I have really good midrange.
You can hear the bogging a little bit on the long Bobtail video.
I'm headed to the beach tomorrow for a week so I'm actually gonna put the bazookas back on then when I get home I'm gonna mess with it again. I also think I'm going to put a stinger on it instead of this glass pack. I don't really like the looks of this exhaust and the fit is not that great either. It needs some tweaking so things line up right and I just don't have the time before we leave to mess with it much.

Interesting.
What size motor etc. I had just the opposite so I'm always interested. That said I drive daily, 10k miles a year, and the cannons just got old.

AMAC
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

One 3 hour trip on the highway with the cannons and I was fed up with them! I scrounged an old beat up, bent up extractor and stuffed it on. No scientific data here but the top end was no different, my seat of the pants meter tells me the bottom end is better and it idles on all four now for heaven's sake! Mileage is right around 30mpg and the plugs are a bit on the rich side so it didn't effect mixture much that I can tell.

Pretty good chance you had the bottom end too rich to cover the stumbles that are inherent with cannons.
buggy-gabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

I actually like the sound of the cannons. My wife told me she didn't care for the quieter set-up. She says: " it's a Dune Buggy, so it's supposed to be loud".
I do have the inserts for my Bazooka's but never put them in. I may try that when I get back from the beach and see.
The 4:1 pipes are so obstructive of my nice chrome and polished engine too. I guess in my case I seem to like the look better with the cannons. This doesn't mean I'm giving up yet.

You may be right about an already rich condition. I fly my American flag on a special mount on the engine cage and it gets so black after just a couple of hours.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

I like the simple old look of baffled dual Cannons..
Symmetrical look
Sound is not too loud at all and IMO.. the epitome of a 70's Buggy sound.

I put on a pair of ceramic (equal cannon length) baffled EMPI's on a neighbors buggy a couple years ago.
I love the shine and dual look.. but they were louder than the black ones I use.
Granted. .. its engine is tweaked quite a bit..

Pick your exhaust poison. .. its an individuals choice..

Sure ... individual side exhaust can rob some power due to lack of proper scavenging. .... but can be somewhat remedied with a cross over added... That also changes the sound.

Id rather have the symmetrical looks.. .. Cool .. built mine for a cruiser.

The simplest boost in "feel" for mine (stock SP 1600 - 4:13 R/P - 28 inch tires) ) came from tossing the 009 and going back to vacuum advance. Really pepped up the low end.. but lost it up top some..
Still runs 70.. ish.. if pressed.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

I agree 100% that cannons look right on a buggy and the "two badly tuned Harleys" sound is just too cool! I also do not like the "bag of snakes" look of the off road exhausts nor the blisters you get trying to reach past them when tuning/servicing your engine. However I am not prepared to suffer any more hearing loss than I already have and this engine just is so much more drivable with the 4 into 1 system.

By the way, Dad's '69 Bus with a stock 1600 SP and a full load of us kids did 70+ mph so your 1600 DP in a light Buggy better do 85+ mph or it is sick!
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was the end result for me. Engine is stock and I want this buggy to look like it was put together in a 60’s/70’s kind of fashion. My Tonka Toy buggies 45 years ago had bazookas, so shall this one. [/img]
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

Like the pipes how quit are they ? I'm wanting something a little quieter than what I have now. If so were did you get them?
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

vponder wrote:
Like the pipes how quit are they ? I'm wanting something a little quieter than what I have now. If so were did you get them?

They will be quiet enough. I am still working out the kinks in the wiring before I can start it. I believe I got them at Pacific Customs which owns tri-mil.
JaredJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

I love the sound of those bazookas Gabe! I have to find the version that fits a dual carb setup.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: bobtail vs. bazookas Reply with quote

So I got this set of dual cannons:
https://chircoestore.com/off-road-buggy-dual-exhausts-system-black.html

They are way to loud to drive around Bavaria with so I'm thinking of getting these:
https://chircoestore.com/dune-buggy-dual-racing-exhaust-system-ceramic-coated.html

That have the baffle, I even think I can wrap some more fiberglass around the baffle to silence it more.

Question is, has anyone mounted the second set with dual carbs? There is a difference in the front exhaust tube bending only once, compared to three times, which I'm assuming helps balance the exhaust better.

Any comments?

Oh, yeah, I know I'm losing HP with these, just going back to old school look.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: