Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type 4 engine - oil pump replace
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shlomi32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

I'm start to rebuild my engine,1.7 that came out from vw 411 71.
I'm not changing the engine size, and beside of a scat c25 camshaft i m not changing anything.

Is there any suggestion for a oil pump?
I heard that a 26mm type 1 oil pump will fit and even work better, is that correct?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

I am also in the process of a type 4 rebuild and the oil pump has had water sitting in it so I am also in the market for a pump. Is this true?
danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

A type 1 oil pump will fit...

There are some "adjustments" that need to be made to the pump before you bolt it in...

I'm currently running one on mine and also did on a previous type 4 build...

Let me look around and see if I still have info.

Dan

www.danielzink.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

This is from...gosh....maybe Tunacan's site from years ago ? maybe Tom's Type 4 site ?

Not sure....either way...not my pics or words...just the guide I used to modify my pumps for the type 4 case.

Modified T1 oil pump install in a T4 motor

Get a 30 mm, Berg blueprinted, Schadek Type1 oil pump to fit. A 26 mm would be about the same to install. It requires very minimal work or tools. You will also need 4 new 8 mm case studs that are longer ( I used 40 mm) and a VW T1 8 mm flat or stamped steel oil pump cover.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Press the shaft all the way into the gear until it is close to flush. The closer to flush, the less you will need to trim off the drive tang at the other end. A machine shop or friend with a press can do this in about 3 minutes. You may be able to do it with a healthy sized hammer, IF you trust yourself.

Here you can see the modification to the pump body and the drive tang. I had to take about .030" off the pump body that supports the drive shaft. I used a drill press with a sanding disc in it. Check clearance between the pump body and the cam gear bolts or rivets that secure the gear to the cam shaft to ensure you have a minimum of say .010". The drive shaft is next. I ground a slight point to the drive tang so it wouldn't bottom out in the drive slot on the cam. I took about .020" off the overall length, and made the angles fit the cam drive slot.

Now set the pump body in the left case half (the one with da distributor drive, yeah, that left) and make sure that the pump outlet and the case inlet line up real well. You may have to do just a little massaging here to get a nice smooth transition. A mismatch here can cause a flow disruption and possible cavitation (so I've been warned and so have you).

That's basically it. Double check the clearances between everything. You don't need a bunch of end clearance between the cam and the drive tang because the cam shouldn't have more than .004" end play and the pump should be around .004" max .

I used the Berg 30 mm pump because I feel it is the best you can
buy. It has a hard anodize finish, has been o'ringed to seal the
pump body to case, and is made from the same material as the
case giving equal expansion rates. It is also cheaper than what I
was quoted for a T4 oil pump.

There ya go.

Dan

www.danielzink.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

You will have to check the clearance to the cam gear, and the drive engagement depth, no different than type-1. Should always be checked.

I prefer to use CB's maxi oil pumps, because the shaft is stepped-in. I clearanced the back of a shadek pump last year, only took off .060 of material, and after the pin was LOOSE, actually fell out, and the stud holes needed to be ovaled to obtain correct alignment of the drive to the cam, never again.

Also check the oil pump cover in advance, you may have to trim one corner to get it to fit.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

Thanks all! Now I have options. Very Happy
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

Fwiw, the stock 24mm pump moves plenty of oil. If it's in good shape, take it appart, change the o-ring, and reassemble with a nice heavy assembly lube. Peen over the back side of the fixed gear axle to keep it from backing out as a few have done. Unlikely, but cheap insurance.

One concern I have with aftermarket pumps is the interfearance fit between the pump and housing...or lack there of. Most new pumps are a little small on the OD The T4 oil pumps I have had my hands on measured 70.01mm-70.02mm. I have seen T1 pumps as small as 69.99mm these days, so be careful and measure what you get. If it is 70.00 mm or smaller, return it and try again. Wink

If you run a T1 pump, I certainly wouldn't run anything larger than a 26mm pump on a stock to mild engine. Larger is not necessarily better considering the way the oil cooler bypass plunger functions.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb Not So Unlikely, I had it back out of my wifes T-3 Squareback and blew the engine. I was a recent rebuild at the time and was lucky to be able to track it down. My main clue was , my wife said the oil light came on and because she was close to home kept driving it.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

If the pump is loose, just shim it so it's tight at the suction side. If you think that will mess up the alignment then you need to check alignment and see for yourself.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

Yup, that definetly has happened Joe...axle backs out and eats the cam gear. That's why I peen the back side of the pump housing a few times around the axle perimeter just in case. Before that I always check to make sure the axle holds tight with a couple whacks to the center with a punch/hammer. If it is easily knocked in or out then the pump is on its last legs and isn't worth running again at the risk of eating the cam gear. I don't throw them away though. I have a couple with axles I deemed to be too loose for comfort. If the aftermarket keeps making poor fitting replacements I may turn a new stepped diameter axles, ream the hole, and press it in to restore them.

It is sad that the aftermarket quality has gotten so poor that many pumps don't fit right out of the box. I mean honestly, how hard can it be to make a pump body 70.01-70.02mm. 69.99 is a total failure in my book. I'm very wary of aftermarket parts, and I don't use any without really checking things out carefully. The other one that pisses me off are Mahle and KS main bearings as of late. Again, not enough interfearance fit on many. Fortunately Silverline makes good quality T4 mains...or at least I haven't come across a small set yet. Aftermarket, beware of mains and oil pumps. Take nothing at face value.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

Again thanks for the tips on bearings and pumps!

Yes my pump idler shaft has backed out. The main reason I am changing it though is there has been water sitting in it at some point and the gears are quite pitted.
I wonder if it would work to drill the gear/shaft and drive in a roll pin. Then take a dremmel and trim it off flush very carefully to keep the shafts in place.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

Don't start me on aftermarket parts.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

I turned several small grooves in the shaft where it goes in the pump body, wire brushed the hole in the pump, and coated both surfaces with loctite sleeve retainer and drove it back in.

Locktite will inhabit the small grooves and actually will hold it in place.
Aluminum surfaces have a thin film of oxide on the surface, this needs to be disturbed to get the loctite in contact with fresh metal which gives a fast and strong cure.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

A 30 mm pump is waaay too much for an almost stock engine. 26 mm is fine. Expect to have to trim the pump housing to clear the cam gear.
The Berg pumps are "just" modified Shadek pumps. Nothing special there.

T
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
A 30 mm pump is waaay too much for an almost stock engine. 26 mm is fine. Expect to have to trim the pump housing to clear the cam gear.
The Berg pumps are "just" modified Shadek pumps. Nothing special there.

T

Yes....spot on. As noted...the stock type 4 pump is 26mm and not 24mm as previouspy suggested. It is MORE than enough for ANY type 4 unless you are adding a long run of hoses to a big oil cooler and therefore have a lot of frictional loss.

In very many cases with type 4 engines....not speaking of type 1 here.....a 30mm pump us too much and dommonoy causes bypass of the oil cooler.

Also as Alstrup noted....its not just the fit of the drive tang in the gear you need to worry qbout. The boss of the undriven shaft MUST be clearanced on ALL oil pumps whether type 1 or type 4.......especially when using an aftermarket camshaft with bolts instead of rivets.

You need a bare minimum of qbout .085" clearance between cam bolts and the idle shaft boss on the oil pump. More is better
For insurance....you should run double thrust cam bearings. If you do not have enough clearance and you lose the thrust flange on the single thrust cam bearing.....and the cam gear bolts start knocking on the oil pump boss.....you will not hear it. When it fijally rips off a bolt head....and it will......the boot head will end up between the cam and crank gear. The destruction of your engine will be complete.

Also....unless your type 4 pump has worn gears.....they are not that hard to refurbish.

Pull the pump apart. Apply a small amount of fine valve grinding compound to the inner face of the gears only. Work them slowly to lap out any gouges on the inner end of the gear bores.

Double nut the studs and remove them. Go to a machine shop and have them make you a mild steel disc that fits in place of the inner pump cover with about .002" clearance around the outside to the pump body.....with a flat machined surtace on one side.
The cost of that is about the same as a new oil pump....probably about $60.

It can be steel or mic-6 aluminum plate. Install the gears in the pump. Paint the top of the gears and the surrounding flat area with machinist die.

Apply XX fine valve grinding paste to the bottom of the plate you had made....insert it into the pumo....and lap by hand until the gears and surrounding areas are flush.

If need be you can lap the gear end faces separately on glass to get them into range.

Pull the steel locating dowel from the aluminum pump cover and lap it in glass with valve grinding paste until all grooves are gone. Put the locating pin/tube back in....and clean everything.

If your gear backlash is fine but you have slightly excessive gear to hore tolerance.....and you are a bit anal......send both aluminum parts out and have them hard anodized. This will bring all tolerances up by about .001" to .0015"......and hard anodizing is harder than the base aluminum.

You might have $150 in the pump after all of that.....but it will fit perfect....put out excellent pressure.....and last longer than a stock new pump. Ray
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

I am often surprised by all of the great info a lot of you guys have to share.

This is great to know for my 1911 upright conversion.

H2OSB
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

Ray, aluminum anodizing has gone thru my mind too. I may do that to the couple pumps I have laying around if I ever make new idler gear shafts for them. Having a like new T4 pump that actually fits the engine case properly is definetly worth the cost and time considering the junk that's on the market now.

You also got me really curious...what is the part number on your pump with 26mm tall gears?? The pumps I have on hand are 021-115-141A, and they have 24mm tall gears. It would be interesting if there was another factory pump floating around out there. I was under the assumption they were all the same regardless of displacement. If ya got something special I would sure love to know about it. Cool

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Ray, aluminum anodizing has gone thru my mind too. I may do that to the couple pumps I have laying around if I ever make new idler gear shafts for them. Having a like new T4 pump that actually fits the engine case properly is definetly worth the cost and time considering the junk that's on the market now.

You also got me really curious...what is the part number on your pump with 26mm tall gears?? The pumps I have on hand are 021-115-141A, and they have 24mm tall gears. It would be interesting if there was another factory pump floating around out there. I was under the assumption they were all the same regardless of displacement. If ya got something special I would sure love to know about it. Cool

And I may be wrong. I was pretty sure they were all 26mm. Let me measure what I have laying around. Either way.....what it came with stock was more than enough if it fits tigjt and is not worn out.

Yes.....I have three candidate pumps....and I will collect a few more over the next couple months. Might as well get them all anodized at one time.

The nice thing about anodizing is that it will also tighten up the shaft bores. Ray
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

24mm (approx) was a stock size of one or two I came across as well, late model bus.
of course, if your going to rebuild the pump, could put fresh gears in it.
The gears are sintered iron and cut like butter. You can buy 26 or 30mm gears and trim then to any custom size. Ray's procedure seems a bit complex, I'd resurface the pump with junk gears or some other way, then trim new ones to fit, about ,001 clearance, you do need some clearance, for cold weather.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine - oil pump replace Reply with quote

modok wrote:
24mm (approx) was a stock size of one or two I came across as well, late model bus.
of course, if your going to rebuild the pump, could put fresh gears in it.
The gears are sintered iron and cut like butter. You can buy 26 or 30mm gears and trim then to any custom size. Ray's procedure seems a bit complex, I'd resurface the pump with junk gears or some other way, then trim new ones to fit, about ,001 clearance, you do need some clearance, for cold weather.

Your idea is a good one.....and has been done. Jake Raby and a few others...IIRC...noted that they steal the gear sets from Melling pumps and cut them down.

However....what I listed is not overly complex....its pretty much what is required.

The gears are not the problem unless they have too much lash. Type 4 pumps have an internal mating surface that cannot be milled....easily. the four main issues with type 4 pumps:

1. Grooves and tolerance on the walls around the gears from owners not changing the oil.
Polishing lightly and anodizing takes care or that tolerance.

2. Grooves at the bottom of the gear bores between the ends of the gears and the housing from the same reason as above.....dirty oil. Lapping these areas using the gears or even wood mandrels fixes that and again.....anodizing can bring tolerances back up.

3. Grooves at the other ends of the gears on the inner pump plate which serves the same purpose as the outer oil pump cover of a type 1 style pump. Lapping it gets rid of that. Dimensional change under .010" is not a problem.

4. The mating surface height between the inner face of the oil pump....where it contacts the plate......and setting the gear height. If the gears are not machined EXACTLY......you have too much or too little tolerance. To little tolerance will cause the pump to sieze.
There is no gasket here to set the gap. If its a dead fit cold.....rotating the pump by hand will make its own tolerance. If its an interference fit.....the pump is locked up.

The most common problem when lapping bores amd gears is having a gear set that is about .002" to .003" too loose.
Lapping the inner step surface is the proper way to fix that....again the combined amount you remove from the inner plate and the recessed mating surface should not be more than .010" or the o-ring seal will be at risk.

The type 4 pump does not require more than .001" combined clearance cold between gear end faces and top plate and bore. If you can rattle the drive shaft more than .001"....its too loose. These are not exactly the same as type 1 pumps. They expand differently. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: