Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Fuel injection questions thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Cherry wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Cherry wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Welcome!
This is the right place, but it's also OK if you start a dedicated thread for this resurrection project of yours to avoid cross contamination.

So it starts but quits seconds after releasing the key? Sounds like the AFM isn't closing the fuel pump contacts when it opens, maybe it's not opening due to a large vacuum leak? Does the fuel pump run when you poke the AFM flap through the inlet while the key is on?

Yes it does. When it's firing the flap is fluttering constantly

A smoke test can't make it worse: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620083&highlight=smoke+tester you'll be suprised what shows up, and L-jet can't tolerate the tinyest leak.

Thanks for your help it was a leak on a hose have replaced them and it's running good now

Thanks for the result and repair! Glad to read a conclusion, to a problem!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
war.hog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

OK Gents, Here is a new one for you. Quick history is 1978 Beetle with supposed 16k miles. Sitting for years, turning into a squirrel home. Wiring harnesses and interior chewed to oblivion. Have spent months returning to functioning car. Have replaced ECM, FI harness, Temp sensor, all 4 injectors, Fuel filter and AFM. All were not replaced until tested and confirmed bad. Here is where I stand.............After sitting until completely cold, engine will fire up and idle reasonably well. Giving throttle will result in hesitation and bogging unless done very slowly. Once engine warms it will stall and will not restart. Seems to be running very rich. I have gone over every test for checking fuel injectors again, point gap set, timing, egr, aar, vaccum leaks, etc. Finally, hooked up fuel gauge to cold start line (for what seems the 10 thousandth time), and here is what I find. New - rebuild AFM is not running fuel pump. If you run pump with starter or jump terminals from AFM, pressure runs up to 37 and stays constant. Line stays pressurized when left to sit - so no leakage in injectors - yes. Here is the weird part - when the car is running, the fuel pressure shows between 0 - 5 psi. I believe this is just gravity pressure from tank. If when running I jump the terminals on AFM for pump to run, the pressure jumps up and car immediately dies. I can make the car start when hot, but only if someone is running the ignition and I remove the trigger from coil and slowly tap contact with wire until fuel pressure drops, then connect it and it will run.

I am wondering what could be causing the fuel injectors to seemingly be stuck open, which is the only way I think it could run this way. Except that I have a flashing signal with a test light from injector harness when cranking and none of the injectors are internally grounded. I suspected the AFM since the fuel pump contact is obviously not working, but the continuity readings jive with what is in the Bentley manual. I don't know what readings I should be getting once the flap starts to open, but closed readings are right.

Any ideas??????????? I am so close to having this done I don't want to succumb to the urge of molotov cocktails.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Welcome!
Sounds like a few different issues all adding up. 37 psi is a little on the high side, are you sure the fuel return line under the tank isn't kinked or pinched/restricted somewhere? You'll also want to check the continuity between the temp sensor wire and it's terminal in the ECU plug, and/or try grounding the sensor wire to fool the system into full lean mode for a test.
The AFM not switching the pump could be misadjusted contacts, or a large vacuum leak you haven't found yet, or a funky double relay, I'm guessing the pump doesn't respond when you poke the flap through the aircleaner while the key is on? The contacts can be adjusted, but if it's "rebuilt" and under warranty shouldn't the rebuilder be dealing with that?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
war.hog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Welcome!
Sounds like a few different issues all adding up. 37 psi is a little on the high side, are you sure the fuel return line under the tank isn't kinked or pinched/restricted somewhere? You'll also want to check the continuity between the temp sensor wire and it's terminal in the ECU plug, and/or try grounding the sensor wire to fool the system into full lean mode for a test.
The AFM not switching the pump could be misadjusted contacts, or a large vacuum leak you haven't found yet, or a funky double relay, I'm guessing the pump doesn't respond when you poke the flap through the aircleaner while the key is on? The contacts can be adjusted, but if it's "rebuilt" and under warranty shouldn't the rebuilder be dealing with that?

I figured the same with the AFM switch for fuel pump. I know I can fix that issue but don't want to open up if warranty for potentiometer is needed. Fuel return line is wide open....when running pump with engime off you can hear fuel running back into tank at a pretty heavy flow.
The temp sensor circuit is an interesting check.
war.hog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Have continuity from temp sensor plug to pin 13 on ecm plug.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Time for some testing then, even better if you can do it at the ECU plug: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/TempSensorII.html
If it checks out and you are confident the pin in the plug is actually contacting the board in the ECU (they sometimes push back or get bent) then fuel pressure is next on your list, you are after ~28-30 PSI running (or with vacuum applied) and ~35 static (no vacuum).

Here's something to keep you entertained regarding the AFM, you might find something helpful: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
war.hog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

OK I have done some testing and am starting to see the problem. Definitely an issue with Temp Signal. Here is what I have............removed top cover from ECM plug. Confirmed all pins are solid and plugging into ECM.

3115 ohms from pin 13 to temp connector w/ sensor unplugged
OL when ECM is unplugged
3050 ohms when testing sensor itself ( about 60 in garage )
1547 ohms pin 13 to ground ( ignition off everything connected )
OL when ignition is keyed to ON

This seems to tell me that the problem is from ECM to ground??????
Possible Double Relay issue????????
I did remove the relay from car and disassemble and clean.
I will retest it with the Bentley Manual tests.

I also checked and have continuity to ground from pins 5, 16 and 17; which Bentley shows as grounds from ECM.
war.hog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Scratch the first 2 readings.....they were to ground not to plug connector.

I am getting the same reading at pin 13 as I get with the sensor itself. Problem is when it gets plugged into ECM. I am unsure as to where this signal goes and comes out in ECM.
war.hog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Also, voltage is reading 6v at pin 13 when ignition is on.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

There's some ECU schematics here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690922

What happens if you ground that TS2 wire to the engine case? does it run any different?

Слава Україні!
war.hog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Everything I check appears to be OK. There is something I am missing, or not understanding. I am wondering why powering up the ECM with ignition on is breaking the continuity through sensor. Power shouldn't change that. If I ground the sensor plug and test with ignition on, I still have continuity. Which made me believe the temp sensor was at fault. Started it cold and ran it, again pressure spins up with starter but then drops to basically 0 while running. If I engage fuel pump at all to build up pressure it stalls out immediately. When letting it idle with no pressure, there seems to be no perceptible change in running condition when grounding temp sensor.
war.hog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

BTW, I originally suspected a bad gauge, so changed for another and am getting exact same readings.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

It's possible the sensor is flawed internally, I've never measured voltage on that wire so I have no idea if it's "normal", to sense resistance it has to use some sort of voltage. Maybe it retains continuity for your OHM meter but breaks down when the ECU has a go at it? . Have you tried grounding the sensor wire and engaging the fuel pump as it idles?

Слава Україні!
war.hog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Yes. I had sensor grounded when trying pump this morning. No difference in outcome.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Hmmmm...., well aside from the slightly elevated fuel pressure that "rebuilt" AFM would be my next suspect. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=540965

Слава Україні!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Hmmmm...., well aside from the slightly elevated fuel pressure that "rebuilt" AFM would be my next suspect. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=540965

Hey guys,

I do not want to upset anyone, so please let me know if you do not want me interjecting.

I have been following along and there seems to be some key piece of information, missing and not apparent. Whenever I run into this road block in diagnosing a car, I start over, from the very beginning, because sometimes things get over looked, basic things.

For shits and giggles, can you adjust the valves cold. Report back if anything was off. Also, if you can get it up to operating temperature and do a compression check? What does the oil smell like? Hoping not gas, but you need to let me.

Also, battery voltage cold and then running?
Fuel filter recently changed? Air filter good? Plugs gapped correctly? Can you post a picture of all four after removed for the compression test?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
war.hog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Of course you can interject. All input is appreciated. I have checked and rechecked all mechanicals. Had engine out, so did all adjustments while out of car. Even retorqued heads. Replaced fuel filter last week. I have started over on the problem twice now, and was just figuring a fresh mind might come across something I am missing.

The engine is running quite well. So I am most sure valves etc. are OK. I understand checking everything, but I am sure problem lies with whatever is triggering injectors to stay open. I think once that is cured the fuel pressure can be run up.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

war.hog wrote:
Of course you can interject. All input is appreciated. I have checked and rechecked all mechanicals. Had engine out, so did all adjustments while out of car. Even retorqued heads. Replaced fuel filter last week. I have started over on the problem twice now, and was just figuring a fresh mind might come across something I am missing.

The engine is running quite well. So I am most sure valves etc. are OK. I understand checking everything, but I am sure problem lies with whatever is triggering injectors to stay open. I think once that is cured the fuel pressure can be run up.

The injectors fire off of the coil number 1 feed wire. Is that wire compromised in any fashion? Connectors on tight and clean? Maybe a short to ground on that one, or the driver within the ecu is worn out? I have seen that wire melted to other wires and then that gives the computer the wrong signal. Might want to visually trace that one back to the ecu.

Ohming it may work. I do not remember the current load on that one wire. Been too long.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

war.hog wrote:
.....Had engine out......

When you put it back in did you connect the 2 or 3 white ring terminal'd ground wires to the single screw on the top of the alternator between the main terminals and the fan shroud? Or to the B+ post like some do? (hint: B+ is wrong).

Слава Україні!
war.hog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Single beveled screw on alternator.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 56

Jump to: