Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Fuel injection questions thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

L-jet will run with any distributor that makes a spark, it's triggered by the same pulse that discharges the coil and sparks the plugs. But it'll run better with a distibutor that's curved to match the car and engine it's used on, they all work great in the driveway, it's out in traffic on the road that you'll notice the subtle difference.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
fetzic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I have a Type1 F.I. with mechanical EGR. Since these EGRs are in short supply,I am attempting to rebuild. The two way valve seat is easy enough to re-seal but the rubber diaphragm is not available anywhere. Can anyone suggest a heat resistant, flexible material that could be use to seal the actuator shaft?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smoothracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I have tested all eight injectors using the 9 volt battery. I had only one that made the click noise when tested as Bus Daddy mentioned. I have ordered 4 new injectors and they will be here on Saturday. ( I don't believe I will be gambling any time soon with those odds)

I did not replace the distributor with the 009 after testing the injectors and identifying they were in fact not working.

Once I install the new injectors I will give an update.

So is it normal for the fuel pressure to drop over time when the car is sitting. As mentioned I did notice a decrease in pressure on the pressure gauge once the car sat for about 45 minutes.

Thanks for the support
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Does anyone have pictures of a Cali engine ,with all the rubber (breather hose,vacuum,fuel) hoses attached for reference.thanks
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Re fuel pressure. Well, all I can say is mine does not stay at constant pressure when engine is off and never has, and it started and ran fine like that for about ten years. The Bentley just doesn't say, it only refers to the correct fuel pressure when running. Both of my fuel pumps do the same, and they both work, one is Bosch and one aftermarket no name.
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

By the way, I had one clogged fuel injector and I cured it by a trick bikers use: bash it sharply on a flat tabletop a couple of times and it unsticks them (if you're lucky). Obviously do not do this without the protective cap on the needle end and do not do it too hard. At the same time I sprayed some engine cleaner into it. It fizzed a lot.
smoothracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Sorry so long in getting back. The fuel injectors had to be resent back out due to not arriving. I finally received and installed them. The car started up and idled great.
I went back through and tightened all the hose clamps on the vacuum lines, and also identified the hose that comes from the oil filler tube to the S boot was not fully installed. I fully set the hose to the S tube and went back to try and start the car and it will not start up and idle now unless I give the car throttle.

Any thought on this?

I saw in another post a list of all the correct size hoses for the car. I'm heading to local auto parts store to buy all new hoses today and replace everything on the car to ensure no leaks and the correct size of the hoses.

Thanks for the information on the fuel pressure and the constant pressure. I still have 4 old fuel injectors I might try the old biker trick just to see what happens.

Can anyone tell me where on the coil the white wire with the green strip goes? To the + or the - side?

Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

The white wire goes on #1 (AKA -), the same terminal as the green wire from the distributor.
Is it only hard to start/idle cold?, or the same when fully warmed up?, any black smoke?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

That wire should be on coil neg. But it is originally white not white and green, so check it.

If it idled great maybe you have connected up something wrong.
smoothracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I have also checked the "notify me when a reply is posted" box.

The car is only hard to start when its cold, It will crank over several times before it finally starts. I hit the stopwatch on the phone as I tried starting the car and it took about 9 seconds before it started up. ( Maybe that is normal for these cars)

There is no black smoke coming from the exhaust. I stood behind the car to check as my son started it up.

I figured out the problem with the car not wanting to start back up unless I gave it throttle, I had knocked a vacuum hose loose that goes to a small round contraption just under the left side of the deck lid. I reattached it put a clamp on it and the car will idle now. ( I've done a lot of reading on the site and you guys were not kidding when you said that there cannot be any vacuum leaks on these fuel injection beetles) I overlooked that hose when I went back through and tightened up all the lines.

I will figure out how to post the pics and show one of the white wire with the green strip. This wire is in the same wire loom that the black ground wires are wrapped in that go to the coil. For now I have left it unattached and the car seems to be doing fine other than the excessive cranking when I first try to start the car up after it has been sitting a while.

The plain white wire I checked to make sure it was in fact going to the #1 side of the coil...I got that one right.

Thanks for the help,
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

9 seconds may be a bit long.

Have you checked Temp Sensor II wire?

Not sure what that white and green wire is. Check all the lights are working including back up lights.
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

The small round contraption sounds like the decel valve. Without it you get backfiring on deceleration.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

smoothracer wrote:
........This wire is in the same wire loom that the black ground wires are wrapped in that go to the coil. .........

Grounds are brown on a VW, those black wires are key switched ignition power, ground one of those and you'll smoke the harness and ignition switch, they are not fused.

The white/green is for the test network socket on the firewall, you can leave it disconnected.

Слава Україні!
02FUN61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Step-by-Step Fuel Injection restoration Reply with quote

My daughter has a 1978 Super Beetle Convertible that was rather poorly converted to a carb. I have collected most if not all parts to restore the fuel injection, but I have only every work on early VWs (61 Ghia, 62 ragtop.) If anyone has help for me on this, I would greatly appreciate it. I will post all my pics and step by step learning as I go. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Start a thread and title it something like "Converting my 78 super back to FI", between Randy, myself and the rest of the members with FI knowledge we can coach you through the whole process.

Send your injectors out for a cleaning/test now so you'll have them ready to go when it's time to turn the key.

Слава Україні!
02FUN61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Converting my 78 super back to FI Reply with quote

This is the starting point to converting my daughters 78 SB Vert to Fuel Injection.

I know something plugs in here! Smile This will obviously have to be cleaned up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Converting my 78 super back to FI Reply with quote

02FUN61 wrote:
This is the starting point to converting my daughters 78 SB Vert to Fuel Injection.

I know something plugs in here! Smile This will obviously have to be cleaned up.

[I
mg]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1654211.jpg[/img]

Should be a relay
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

That is the power supply to to the dual relay and does need cleaned up...

Click to view image
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

The white wired plug goes one side of the double relay and the colored to the other.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I thought I would post this part number for those that need to replace their hoses. The quality of the replacement parts are sketchy sometimes. This picture is the hose going from the oil fill to the S Tube. This was a brand new hose after being installed less than a week. The oil made the material so soft, it broke apart. You could not trim it back far enough to make the hose functional:

I ended going to Oreilly's and finding this hose. It was longer than this and had other bends, but I trimmed out the piece that I needed and it fit perfect and will not deteriorate. It is a Gates hose and I included the part number for future reference.

This hose has been in there several months and is still like new.
Hope this helps others.
Cheers
Kevin

Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 56

Jump to: