Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Fuel injection questions thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
1976 Std Bug - Large crankcase breather hose:

The original one crumbled and leaked. I've tried a few different hoses, but they all kink. I even purchased one with one 90 degree bend molded which helped, but still kinked as it rounds the alternator.

This causes the crank to build up pressure and spit oil from the pulley.

Anyone have a good source for a proper, molded breather hose?

Like this? : https://www.airheadparts.com/Hose-Oil-Breather-w/Molded-Elbow/item/181-129-651%20C

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

cuzzinit wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
Can you do a volume check on the injectors? Maybe one of them is clogged.

i guess not since i not sure what a volume check is....
and now that i took the plastic tube off going from the plenum ? to throttle body, i'm not sure how it works and having trouble finding diagram or video
to show what things are. Sad

How about some photos?, if we can see the open ports we can tell you what goes where.
Volume may not be an issue since it's happening at idle, sending them to a Bosch authorized service center will get them cleaned and flow tested for ~$100.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Root_Werks wrote:

The original one crumbled and leaked. I've tried a few different hoses, but they all kink. I even purchased one with one 90 degree bend molded which helped, but still kinked as it rounds the alternator.

Like this? : https://www.airheadparts.com/Hose-Oil-Breather-w/Molded-Elbow/item/181-129-651%20C

Yep, that is the one I'm currently using. It worked fine for a while. It has two kinks as it rounds the alternator. The factory hose is molded in two places to avoid this.

The only other solution I can think of is to use a short piece of rigid tube with a bend to round the alternator.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Root_Werks wrote:

Yep, that is the one I'm currently using. It worked fine for a while. It has two kinks as it rounds the alternator. The factory hose is molded in two places to avoid this.

The only other solution I can think of is to use a short piece of rigid tube with a bend to round the alternator.

I have seen people use a bend of hard line or copper elbow, works but looks messy.
What you need is an inner support coil, stainless works best but any spring that barely fits inside the hose will work.

Similar to this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Слава Україні!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:

Root werks, AFAIK the original 12mm cloth braided German crankcase breather hose was not wire reinforced, it was just stiff enough to make those curves with no problems. These aftermarket crap parts seem to have that problem.
HOWEVER, if you want, you can use the same 12mm WIRE REINFORCED hose that the autosticks and bus brake booster hoses use. The VW part number is:

N 020 390 1

Several online VW vendors like WCM carry this hose, but you can also get it from some tuning/ racing sites or from your local VW dealer (at least I did.)

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Root_Werks wrote:

Root werks, AFAIK the original 12mm cloth braided German crankcase breather hose was not wire reinforced, it was just stiff enough to make those curves with no problems. These aftermarket crap parts seem to have that problem.
HOWEVER, if you want, you can use the same 12mm WIRE REINFORCED hose that the autosticks and bus brake booster hoses use. The VW part number is:

N 020 390 1

Several online VW vendors like WCM carry this hose, but you can also get it from some tuning/ racing sites or from your local VW dealer (at least I did.)

I am unsure if we are talking about the same hose, but at the bottom of page 3 KKiley posted a Gates hose which works for the bends, but it is a water hose and will eventually fail. The upside is it is cheaper than an original molded hose, so changing them out often would be a small finacial impact! Thats always a plus!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

I am unsure if we are talking about the same hose, but at the bottom of page 3 KKiley posted a Gates hose which works for the bends, but it is a water hose and will eventually fail. The upside is it is cheaper than an original molded hose, so changing them out often would be a small finacial impact! Thats always a plus!

Aaah- hmm I had only ever seen the typical non-wire reinforced 12mm cloth braided hose used for crankcase breather on mine since i was a kid, like this:

are you saying that the original VW hose was actually molded to the curvature it needed to go from oil filler neck to air cleaner? If so I'm going to keep an eye out for that on my next trip to the VW salvage yard.

At any rate I believe the wire reinforced 12mm hose would prevent the kinking, it has metal wire coiled around inside the rubber:

It may be hard to shape to the contour you need though.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

12mm is too small, this the larger 19mm that needs at least one 90 degree bend from the oil filler base. Otherwise it'll surely kink trying to bend before the intake runner.

I like the spring idea and will give it a shot, thanks!

With my kinks, it's allowing too much pressure buildup in the case = oily mess.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Volume may not be an issue since it's happening at idle, sending them to a Bosch authorized service center will get them cleaned and flow tested for ~$100.

Volume test is free, and a couple of shots of carb cleaner, if carboned badly, would save you the down time with the car and 90 bucks.

Volume is always an issue if the injector is clogged, even partially clogged. It is a simple test and yields much information. It also allows a chance to replace faulty seals at the injectors, which always needs to be done, and a chance to get rid of some carbon.

Clogged injectors yield lean combustion chamber fuel ratios. Lean! Lean burn kills valves and put more strain on other engine parts. Plus the engine may be firing at extremely different power strokes further stressing the crank and main bearings. At the top rpm range, there is predetonation and lean misfire, both will kill an engine.

That volume test speaks volumes!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Crank Breather Hose Spring worked, thanks for the tip!
L51C_75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Does anybody know if fuel injectors from a water cooled Vanagon would work with a l-jet set up for a beetle. Just wondering if I were to build a higher capacity engine and needed bigger injectors if this would be an option. It is my understanding from Ratwell's site that Type 4 bus and Beetle injectors are the same, so maybe Vanagon injectors will flow more?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

There's multiple charts comparing various Bosch injectors online with specifications and flow rates, get your Google on.

Слава Україні!
pbnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

So, my 77 FI vert is running fine. However as the temp starts to drop, it has issues on cold ( sub 40) mornings. Another issue if it is one at all, is that it is a bit sluggish between 3rd and 4th. On the highway, it can hit about 70 mph but will slow down 5mph or more when hits a moderate hill. I am just curious if this is normal for the FI, or if there are things i can do to correct these items.Thanks in advance.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

The performance doesn't sound all that wrong, it's only a 1600 afterall.
Cold starting could be vacuum leaks, temp sensor #2 (TS2) or an issue in the CSV system, or even a weak ignition system.

Слава Україні!
pbnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

thanks. I read in someones post that they cleaned their AFM and go a bit more performance out of it. I have no history on mine as i don't know what number owner I am. At least number 3. The AFM appears to have been glued at some point as there is residue. MY engine is a 79 according to the engine number, and someone added electronic ignition to it as well. I have had it just over two years, and engine wise i ( with assistance) replaced the alternator , the fuel pump. Its probably time to adjust the valves. thanks again
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

pbnj wrote:
So, my 77 FI vert is running fine. However as the temp starts to drop, it has issues on cold ( sub 40) mornings. Another issue if it is one at all, is that it is a bit sluggish between 3rd and 4th. On the highway, it can hit about 70 mph but will slow down 5mph or more when hits a moderate hill. I am just curious if this is normal for the FI, or if there are things i can do to correct these items.Thanks in advance.

My gut is a spark issue. In the lower RPM range, the demand on the coil and the ignition system is low. As the RPMs increase and the load increases the time for the coil to recharge, to be able to shoot a spark is limited. You might try cleaning any ground points in the engine bay, particularly those related to an ignition system ground path. Also the connections at the coil, you should ohm the coil and if marginal, replace with a compatible unit. Curious, what do your plugs look like?

Another issue could be low compression. A compression check , warm engine, would let you know if it may be time for a rebuild.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
pbnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

haven't looked at the plugs in about a year. last time i looked they looked ok. I have spares if i need to replace them. Is the coil issue the same if its running a flamethrower EI system? thanks for the reply
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Well it sounds like tune up time, start with that and see if it makes a difference. The AFM must move freely, cleaning it carefully won't hurt, but usually a bad AFM causes bucking. Careful if you remove the lid, the tracks on the printed circuit board are delicate and the board must remain in the exact spot it was calibrated in. The glue used to reattach the cover can also damage the guts, regular RTV gives off a corrosive gas for example. RTV for electronics or the fishtank stuff is safer.
If someone has been messing in there the mixtures may be off, you'll need a AFR meter (LM1, etc..) to calibrate it properly.

The electronic points replacement modules sometimes produce a waveform that messes with the ECU, try a set of points one day when you have nothing better to do and see if it makes a difference.

Слава Україні!
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Digifant question: have a hesitation when pulling away in first. This is usually when engine is cold. I can avoid it by building the revs slowly, but a normal blip of the throttle and it stumbles back to idle rpm after trying to climb.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Sounds like a vacuum leak or low fuel pressure.

Check for spark and compression first to rule those two variables first. Then measure fuel pressure and volume. Correct if needed.

If spark and ignition are good, check for a vacuum leak. Good visual inspection, followed by shooting small amounts of starting fluid around intake manifold connections. There can be a vacuum leak in the crankcase to, due to the design of the intake manifold. You can remove the oil fill cap to check. Car will die very quickly if sucking air in through the crankcase, and have semi foulded plugs.

If no vacuum leaks are found, check the fuel pressure and fuel volume.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 56

Jump to: