Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Fuel injection questions thread
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

A member asked for a dedicated ongoing thread about Late Model Beetle Fuel Injection.

It seemed like a good idea to me.

Please post all general Fuel Injection questions here.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Stealing Busdaddy's link as an answer for the future:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=669783
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Does anyone know the part number of the metal line on FI bugs that goes from left to right side injectors and feeds the cold star valve, or better where I can find one?
fetzic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I'm the owner of a 79 Convert. that was abandoned in the high northern Cal. desert several years ago. I'ts been in the process of resurrection since.
With the much appreciated assistance of Thesamba and Itinrant Air Cooled postings and 12K of new or rebuilt parts the vehicle is 90% road worthy.
I realize that the following two question have previously been answered but beg everyone's forbearance.
The engine's condition regarding,compression,valve adjustment,timing,ancillary valves,injectors,wiring and vacuum leaks have been addressed and is considered in "good order".
1) Knowing that the AAR and the DAV are operational. What then should I see for a reduction in RPM as the AAR closes?
2) Assuming "good order" what is the proper tuning adjustment sequence to achieve proper idle RPM?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Not very much action here ,anyways I brought home a 79 it was sitting for 10 years +- was infested with rats till the son in law took over the house and bought a french bulldog puppy ,as soon as he was old enough he started chasing the rats and bringing the owner some for him to eat (I guess) anyways the dog got rid of all rats and cats ,but not before the rats leaving a big mess of excrement inside the bug about 2 gallons worth after I was done vacuuming ..brought it home had keys made ,put a battery in it to see if anything worked nothing did ,started looking at wiring and everything was dirty and corroded ,the front windshield seal was leaking and it leaked all over the wiring and relays.

so for the past 2 months (weather permitting, and on weekends )I have been going over wiring cleaning and replacing ,thus far double relay emergency flasher switch ,headlight switch ,oil pressure sending unit and other electrical items got almost all my lights working , after changing points cap ,I got it to start with starting fluid for a few seconds ...

Where I am at now ,working on the fuel injection one step at a time ,going to be testing the cold start valve and move from there ,.will post as I go along.and learning about it at the same time.
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Still getting mine dialed in. Rebuilt engine, timed and broken in. Still having hard start problem cold. Fires right up warm. Checked resistance of head temp sensor, thermal time switch, AFM seems to be set properly as far as air fuel ratio, I played with it pushing the plate in as it ran and pulling it back and it runs best where it opens on its own. Next I would like to actually pull the cold start injector while having wife crank it over and watch how this cold start injector sprays. Anyone ever seen one in action?
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

It should be like any other injector. Pull it when it's cold, put a baggie around it and try cranking it. You should see spray when cranking.
That is about the only item I didn't have an issue with in getting my '78 running again.

Click to view image
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:
It should be like any other injector. Pull it when it's cold, put a baggie around it and try cranking it. You should see spray when cranking.
That is about the only item I didn't have an issue with in getting my '78 running again.
I will give that a try. Thanks
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I have mine running very well, after a lot of work dealing with what turned out to be small things, but necessary. You really need to follow the Bentley FI section.

I'll try to help but I'm no expert and I only did most of the things once so am relying on memory. I did all the work myself with some guidance from the experts on this forum (e.g. busdaddy and ashman), and used a cheap multimeter using the Ohms.

So...

When you test the cold start injector, make sure the car won't actually start when you crank it. It just sprays like any other injector, but it should be only when starting. It is the thermo time switch that tells it to switch off. If it isn't leaking at all that's also good.

"1) Knowing that the AAR and the DAV are operational. What then should I see for a reduction in RPM as the AAR closes?
2) Assuming "good order" what is the proper tuning adjustment sequence to achieve proper idle RPM?"

I just cleaned the AAR with hot soapy water. Once its cleaned I tried it out, and adjusted it a little when running, just after start up, and this worked. I know the flap should close or almost close in a certain amount of time. I don't think it reduces rpm as it closes, because it closes when the engine is warm, I think it may actually increase the rpm, but not much. You can try to test it out of the car but I think its a waste of effort really.

What is the DAV? Do you mean the decel valve?

Assuming good order of everything else you just tune it with the air bypass screw to get it to the right rpm, this is of course once you know what is TDC, then do it 5 ATDC (use the strobe light), and you have set the valve gap. The car should just start without any touch of the pedal as long as the Air Bypass is open a few turns (4-6 say). Then get it to about 950rpm by turning this screw one way or the other. Between turning the dizzy a bit (within a safe short range of the advance), and the Air Bypass screw you can get it sweet. I found that the exact settings in the Bentley work best, but up until that final moment of it all coming together it was real hell. LOL.

Honestly, once everything else is correct, the car will just run and run and wants to start and go with no trouble.

I did add electronic ignition, and I cleaned everything, added a tacho and a fuel pressure guage to the engine bay just to help with the settings.

The battery has to be strong, and all earths good.
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I wanted to purchase new injectors from air cooled.net but they only have 2 in stock as I want to purchase 4. Anyone know of something comparible?
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

L Jet tuning

http://www.alfagtv6.com/discus/messages/199/648.html?1082035603
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

L Jet tuning

http://www.alfagtv6.com/discus/messages/199/648.html?1082035603

http://www.demo.cs.brandeis.edu/postscript.dump/Ltronic/mods.html

http://www.demo.cs.brandeis.edu/postscript.dump/Ltronic/guts.html

http://www.demo.cs.brandeis.edu/postscript.dump/Ltronic/air.html

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/AFMadjust.html

Some links to different cars with similar FI system I found helpful (alfa, morgan, bmw).
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

When checking the injectors with a ohm meter what is the value . Set at 200 ohms I get 3.8 on all 4 is this right?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I have not seen an OHM value specified for injectors, unless it's buried in the AFC manual: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_fi_11_1974.php , the usual test is for continuity across the terminals and no continuity between either terminal and the metal case.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Just check ohms they are not shorted (no continuity) between elec points on injector and its body.
L51C_75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Was thinking of building a 1679cc engine with the slip in bottom, machine in top cylinders,stock valve size (35x32) heads and the CB 2280 cam. Does anybody know if the stock l-jet components would be able to support this?
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

You should be fine with that build. You would just need to tune the AFM to your engine,but the I-Jet will handle it easily.

Click to view image
krautkorvettkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

this ones for sawed off. try this. put your known good cold start injector on a manual switch. you dont need to pull it to test it. just cut both wires, add a switch , 12 volt to it,and ground while running, it will stumble immediatly and might even die, this means the injector is flowing. flip it on for a second or two on those frosty mornings,its never failed me,or my 82 CIS pickup.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Hi Thanks for replies. Actually got the cold start issue figured out. Replaced the cylinder head temp sensor and all starting issues are gone. Fires right up hot or cold and stays running as before it would die about 6 times cold.
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Hello chaps.

79 SB FI 1600DP Cali spec.

Have been doing the brakes and alignment type stuff, now seems ok.

But, well, car is starting and driving very well, accel and decel without trouble, no popping or backfires, but recently, when after a good longish drive and it's warmed up, and I get back to the garage, I can hear the exhaust burbling and popping.

One thing, recently the adjustable connector to the (mechanical) EGR became disconnected and luckily I found it in the well of the pulley. I put it back on, but I'm unsure how to adjust this, I normally leave it with some play, so at idle and near to idle it is closed).

I've read up here on the issue of popping, but there's not much reference to FI popping in this way. I can't find any vacuum/exhaust leaks. Maybe the timing now seems to have become a little bit fast, is about 1000, and I set it at 900rpm, so something has changed somehow - , therefore my last alteration was to slow the timing a bit (slight turn of dizzy and slight turn of air bypass screw) back to 900. This seemed to improve it a bit but the pop is still there when warm... I know that if I start from cold the car will not pop and it will start fine. Should I worry?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 55

Jump to: