Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Fuel injection questions thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gyman98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I switched the lines, turned the key on, stuck a screw driver in the afm for a minute to run the pump and it’s alive! I had even used coloured zip ties to mark the lines lol. Obviously not very well. Thanks to both of you for the help! Really appreciate it 👍🏻
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Good job!, sometimes it's the simple things that bite you.

Now get that vacuum line hooked up to the FPR.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
gyman98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Yep for sure, just need to pick up a T to tie it in somewhere
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

gyman98 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

waxhead wrote:
I have just started reproducing this sticker, found on the inside of the deck lid of late-model fuel injected cars.

Accurate reproduction printed on silver foil, then laminated for durability. See my ads to order.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
gyman98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
gyman98 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

waxhead wrote:
I have just started reproducing this sticker, found on the inside of the deck lid of late-model fuel injected cars.

Accurate reproduction printed on silver foil, then laminated for durability. See my ads to order.

Right on thanks!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted! Thought it was something simple!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
gyman98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Glad you got it sorted! Thought it was something simple!

Yep must of got distracted when I was labeling the lines
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

In October 2020, I discovered my TS-2 sensor threads were stripped out of #4 cylinder head. And a previous mechanic GLUED TS-2 into the head causing an intermittent ground connection. As my temporary fix, I wrapped the sensor threads with aluminum foil, reinstalled, and achieved a working ground connection. Well after 1500 miles, it's time for the aluminum foil to go.

A few Samba members recommended installing a threaded insert while the engine is in place. But I don't think I have the talent to do that. Instead, a friend helped me turn the hex head of the TS-2 sensor, reducing the thickness by almost 3mm. The sensor has an M10x1 thread, the modified sensor goes deeper into the cylinder head and engages 3 undamaged threads.

Before:

After:

Installed:

The standard TS-2 washer is thick. I bought a copper brake line seal washer and cold worked it down to 0.40 mm thick (aka - I hit it with a hammer)
In the future when I drop the engine, I plan to install a threaded insert and go back to an unmodified TS-2.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Good job! Cool

Слава Україні!
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Thanks Busdaddy. I also got around to replacing all my vacuum hoses - finally. Some of the rattier ones were pointed out by you last year. Every small fix on the path to getting back to stock seems to make the L-Jet run smoother. I can feel an improvement from the new hoses. It's very smooth now and enjoyable.
waller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Folks, I have a 78 Super that doesn't have the same AFM that others have between the intake boot and the filter. There are two screws on the top but I can't seem to open it?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Why would you want to open it?

Слава Україні!
waller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I'm having issues with my fuel pump and it was suggested to open the AFM to get the pump going. But the AFM I've seen in other pics (black box) is not the same as what I have?

(or I may have no idea what I'm doing here, completely possible Laughing )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

You can test the fuel pump contacts by probing the pins in the connector with a Ohm meter, the numbers are mapped out in the AFC manual. You can also probe the wires where they plug into the double relay to see if the pump switch is functioning when the flap is moved off it's stop.

Generally it's a bad idea to open the AFM unless something has been proven faulty, the cover is on the bottom side, you are looking at the bottom. If you do remove the lid use RTV that's safe for electronics or fish tanks, the hardware store stuff will corrode the circuitry inside if you use it to glue the lid back on.

Слава Україні!
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I'm building up spares and tools to keep in the Beetle in case of a breakdown. So I've been looking for a spare ECU among other things. I bought this one at a swap meet for a great price. The ECU is untested but for a few dollars I took a chance. The swap meet ECU VW part number is: 043 906 021

The ECU currently in my '79 Bug is VW part number: 043 906 021 D
Bentley says the D suffix indicates the ECU can accept an optional High-Altitude-Corrector.

My questions: Can I interchange these ECUs? What's the risk of plugging in an untested ECU?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Lost69Convertible wrote:
My questions: Can I interchange these ECUs? What's the risk of plugging in an untested ECU?

Yes, and there's no risk, it can't damage anything.

Do look at the contacts on the plug, as well as the ones in the plug on your car, sometimes they can get damaged or deformed.

Слава Україні!
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I plugged in the swap meet ECU today. The Beetle started up and ran smoothly. That was a lucky $5 bill I spent.

MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

waller wrote:
Folks, I have a 78 Super that doesn't have the same AFM that others have between the intake boot and the filter. There are two screws on the top but I can't seem to open it?

The opening is on the bottom with how they're mounted in a Bug...upside down if you will. Again, there is NO reason to open the unit to test the fuel pump contacts. See the info above. You can also remove the air filter and use a screwdriver to open the air flap. with the ignition in run position you should hear the fuel pump running IF everything is in order. If its not, there are other things besides the AFM that can cause it...you need a Bentley manual! Its very helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
waller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I just ordered the Bentley manual!

Please someone save me from banging my head against the wall. I'm not naturally mechanically inclined, but willing to try if someone can just guide me!

78 FI SB. I have an inline fuel pump that I don't believe is working- I get no action on it at all when I turn the key (I'm supposed to, right?). The PO gave me an extra pump so I tried it and no action there either.

So I'm guessing it's the wiring: two questions:

- what's the best way to test it?

- where does the other end of the positive go? I thought maybe the fuse box but I'm guessing it's the ignition switch (which I think may be my issue). I took a look at the wiring diagram but couldn't make sense of it.

Thank you!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

waller wrote:
I just ordered the Bentley manual!

Please someone save me from banging my head against the wall. I'm not naturally mechanically inclined, but willing to try if someone can just guide me!

78 FI SB. I have an inline fuel pump that I don't believe is working- I get no action on it at all when I turn the key (I'm supposed to, right?). The PO gave me an extra pump so I tried it and no action there either.

So I'm guessing it's the wiring: two questions:

- what's the best way to test it?

- where does the other end of the positive go? I thought maybe the fuse box but I'm guessing it's the ignition switch (which I think may be my issue). I took a look at the wiring diagram but couldn't make sense of it.

Thank you!

L-jet isn't like modern systems, nothing should happen when you turn on the key. But with the key on the fuel pump should run if you depress the flap in the air flow meter (AFM) by taking out the air filter element and shoving a chopstick into the rectangular hole under it. The pump is quiet so have a helper listen at the RF wheel well.
If nothing happens there's more testing before you start shooting the parts cannon at it, like do you hear a click from the RR corner of the cargo area behind the back seat when you poke the flap?

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 55

Jump to: