Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Fuel injection questions thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfroderman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

77 VW Super Beetle Convertible - Engine Fire restoration -
Symptom - Slow build up of speed while driving - Poor power in all gears. It seems like the speed will gradually build up even with accelerator floored. Starts with no problems.

Replaced - All electrical, fuel and vacuum lines. Double checked VL connections to make sure they are correctly attached (within this thread).
Spark plugs & wires replaced. Distributor tests out OK. All electrical tests out OK on AFM. New fuel pump, fuel filter.
Idle at ~ 800 rpm and timed out to 5* TDC. Tested fuel pressure at 39 psi with engine off. I read that I should have tested it out at 3500 rpm. How important is the going to be?
I verified that the vacuum advance is OK by holding a vacuum (no leaks).

Any other items I should look at?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

cfroderman wrote:
Symptom - Slow build up of speed while driving - Poor power in all gears. It seems like the speed will gradually build up even with accelerator floored. Starts with no problems.

Replaced - All electrical, fuel and vacuum lines. Double checked VL connections to make sure they are correctly attached (within this thread).
Spark plugs & wires replaced. Distributor tests out OK. All electrical tests out OK on AFM. New fuel pump, fuel filter.
Idle at ~ 800 rpm and timed out to 5* TDC. Tested fuel pressure at 39 psi with engine off. I read that I should have tested it out at 3500 rpm. How important is the going to be?
I verified that the vacuum advance is OK by holding a vacuum (no leaks).

You say the vacuum advance holds a vacuum, does it move the breaker plate as well?, how about the retard side?, same results?

Fuel pressure doesn't have to be tested a 3500, but you could try applying vacuum to the sense hose with the engine off to watch for a pressure drop.

Does this car have a catalytic converter?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cfroderman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Both the advance and the retard side cause the breaker plate to move. It takes about 5-6 in Hg to cause it to move.

No pressure drop on the fuel side.

Tested the vacuum with the car running and revving the engine - It got up to 15 in Hg.

Checked advance (without vacuum) and it appeared to get to 30* at ~ 3000 rpm,.

No catalytic converter is present. I'm open to any other suggestions.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Hmmmm...., fuel pressure should drop ~8-10 lbs when vacuum is applied, sure the pressure regulator's vacuum hose is connected?, is the hose wet with gas inside?

Other things to check are the throttle cable, is it adjusted so the arm stops 1mm from the wide open stop on the throttle body when a helper mashes the pedal to the floor?

When it's idling use gloves or insulated pliers and pull one spark plug wire from the cap, does the idle speed drop?, put it back and move on to the next one, same thing with all 4. If one doesn't make any difference it's time to find out why that cylinder is dead.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
cfroderman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I misunderstood on the fuel pressure switch. I just put a vacuum on the entire system and there was no vacuum pressure drop. I was just looking for a vacuum leak somewhere. So you are saying, with the engine running at idle, put a vacuum on the fuel pressure switch and measure the fuel pressure?

I double checked the throttle cable and it stops at the correct spot.

I will give the cylinder test a try as well.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

The fuel pressure regulator (FPR) located in the return line where it passes through the tin ahead of cylinder #1 has a small vacuum line coming from it, it should be connected to the throttle body (TB) or plenum (consult the vacuum diagram for your model). When vacuum is applied to that line the fuel pressure should drop, or when idling pulling the line off the TB should make the pressure rise.

Слава Україні!
cfroderman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The fuel pressure regulator (FPR) located in the return line where it passes through the tin ahead of cylinder #1 has a small vacuum line coming from it, it should be connected to the throttle body (TB) or plenum (consult the vacuum diagram for your model). When vacuum is applied to that line the fuel pressure should drop, or when idling pulling the line off the TB should make the pressure rise.

Tested fuel pressure and vacuum tonight. While idling with all vacuum hoses connected everywhere, fuel pressure was 37 psi. I pulled the hose from the FPR and the pressure increased to 39 psi. I then put a vacuum on the FPR hose of ~ 23 in Hg and the fuel pressure dropped to ~ 26 psi.

I've tested the advance with a timing light with and without vacuum and all appears to be fine on that end. The engine starts easily and idles without missing any cylinders. I'm at a loss.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

According to this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...Manual.pdf (Page 20) that's pretty close to spec, close enough to not be the cause of your issues.

How did the dead cylinder test go?

Слава Україні!
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

cfroderman wrote:

Just curious, What do you mean by slow? How long from 0-60 MPH?

59 Beetle convertible, future project - 25,000 actual miles, original interior
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cfroderman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
According to this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...Manual.pdf (Page 20) that's pretty close to spec, close enough to not be the cause of your issues.

How did the dead cylinder test go?

Just tested the dead cylinders - 1 & 4 cylinders did not effect rpms. 2 & 3 dropped the RPM's down considerably. So that appears to be the culprit. I'm definitely getting spark at the distributor when I pulled the wires. Next suggested steps? Check spark at the spark plug?

I pulled all the injectors when I had it apart early on and cleaned them with carb cleaner under pressure while activating them, so I know the injectors work and are not clogged. If I recall, injectors are "always on" and aren't timed are they? Crossed wires?

Maltboy! - Minutes to get to 60. Accelerator flat to the floor, I would take a minute to get to 60 on a flat surface. Based on the above test, I'm only using 1/2 the cylinders.. Surprised
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

You stated that the distributor tested out good. Hmmm.

Does the vacuum can pull the points plate when vacuum is applied? Should move smooth and easy when it does move.

Also the weights down under the points plate. What do they look like and can you hear them open and close when you spin the distributor in your hands?

Shit! For that matter. Is the pull arm from the diaphragm connected to the points plate?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
cfroderman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
You stated that the distributor tested out good. Hmmm.

Does the vacuum can pull the points plate when vacuum is applied? Should move smooth and easy when it does move.

Also the weights down under the points plate. What do they look like and can you hear them open and close when you spin the distributor in your hands?

Shit! For that matter. Is the pull arm from the diaphragm connected to the points plate?

The advance and retard all tested OK with a timing light and RPM for Bosch 0231 176 044 distributor. See posts above that the vacuum caused the breaker plate to move at ~ 5 in Hg on both the advance and retard side. I tested the centrifugal advance as well without vacuum. It all tested OK.

I'm more worried that only 2 cylinders appear to be firing at idle. I'm getting spark at the distributor cap when I pulled the wires individually.
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

cfroderman wrote:
The advance and retard all tested OK with a timing light and RPM for Bosch 0231 176 044 distributor. See posts above that the vacuum caused the breaker plate to move at ~ 5 in Hg on both the advance and retard side. I tested the centrifugal advance as well without vacuum. It all tested OK.

I'm more worried that only 2 cylinders appear to be firing at idle. I'm getting spark at the distributor cap when I pulled the wires individually.

Have you checked the resistor pack for broken wires?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Maltboy! wrote:
cfroderman wrote:

That's where I'd go next, if the injectors bench tested OK then it's got to be electrical.

If the harness is bendy enough try swapping the injector plugs and see if the dead cylinders move with the plugs. It's batch fire so, mixing them doesn't matter.

Слава Україні!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Have you double checked that you didn't accidentally swap #1 and 4 plug wires at the distributor? It happens. Checking for spark at the plugs would be a good step.

Have you verified the injectors on #1 and 4 are firing? You should be able to hear them clicking with a mechanic's stethoscope or similar tool while the engine is running. If they're not firing, check to see if they're getting power and that the ground/control wires running to the ECM aren't damaged.
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Maltboy! wrote:

That's where I'd go next, if the injectors bench tested OK then it's got to be electrical.

If the harness is bendy enough try swapping the injector plugs and see if the dead cylinders move with the plugs. It's batch fire so, mixing them doesn't matter.

I had a broken wire where the harness connects to the resistor. I was able to track it down with a NOID tester.

cfroderman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Maltboy! wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Maltboy! wrote:

I had a broken wire where the harness connects to the resistor. I was able to track it down with a NOID tester.

All great suggestions. I will try them this afternoon. Major problem is that I don't see a resistance block connection plug in the engine compartment. The wiring harness comes directly from the control box. I do have an upgraded alternator. Would that eliminate the resistance block? I thought I read somewhere that it did.
cfroderman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Update - swapping the injector wires caused the dead cylinders to follow. Testing the injector wires with the ignition on showed 12 volts. The fact that the dead cylinders followed the wire switch would indicate an electrical problem. I’m not sure where to go here since I don’t have a resistance block that I can find. I appreciate all the help and suggestions.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Resistors are located on the inside of the RR fenderwell, inboard of the tail light, hiding under the tar board.

Слава Україні!
cfroderman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Resistor block was found and one wire was broken. Great call. Repaired it and now have 3 out of 4 cylinders working as indicated by pulling spark plug wires and noting idle speed. Any ideas/links on how to test the block to make sure all resistors are working correctly?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Page 43 of 56

Jump to: