Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Fuel injection questions thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Disconnect all 4 injectors, then probe for power at each plug while the key is on, take the green wire off the coil to save the points during all this key on but not running stuff, don't forget to put it back when done.

The test must be done with all the injectors unplugged, if you don't power backfeeds through the other ones coils and all will show power.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cfroderman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Disconnect all 4 injectors, then probe for power at each plug while the key is on, take the green wire off the coil to save the points during all this key on but not running stuff, don't forget to put it back when done.

The test must be done with all the injectors unplugged, if you don't power backfeeds through the other ones coils and all will show power.

Thanks to all. Problem fixed and you all contributed greatly. 1 cylinder had a broken wire at the series resistance block. The other cylinder had the FI plug wires pulled away from the connector. Once everything got corrected it runs like a dream. 😎
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

cfroderman wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Thanks to all. Problem fixed and you all contributed greatly. 1 cylinder had a broken wire at the series resistance block. The other cylinder had the FI plug wires pulled away from the connector. Once everything got corrected it runs like a dream. 😎

WOOHOO! I love it when that happens. Busdaddy is the expert on these systems. I just chime in because I can't help myself. Wink

59 Beetle convertible, future project - 25,000 actual miles, original interior
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Maltboy! wrote:
cfroderman wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

WOOHOO! I love it when that happens. Busdaddy is the expert on these systems. I just chime in because I can't help myself. Wink

Hey now!, it's a community thing here, nobody knows it all, everyone encounters new issues now and then and it all adds to the knowledge base. I'm gifted with a good memory on things like this, I've dealt with alot hands on, but much of it also comes from observing others while we work through issues, every one (including you) contribute greatly to solving what was once regarded as witchcraft.

Bet Cfroderman's car is amazing now that it's got 50% more power! Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Hey now!, it's a community thing here, nobody knows it all, everyone encounters new issues now and then and it all adds to the knowledge base. I'm gifted with a good memory on things like this, I've dealt with alot hands on, but much of it also comes from observing others while we work through issues, every one (including you) contribute greatly to solving what was once regarded as witchcraft.

Bet Cfroderman's car is amazing now that it's got 50% more power! Cool

Thanks, but this really is your sandbox. Your time and your dedication are commendable.
Thanks to you another FI beetle has been saved. It's a great system that got a lot of undeserved "shade" because people didn't know how to work on them. It's people like you on this forum who have changed that. Now his car can go 0-60 in under a minute just like it's supposed to! Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

nice!
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

If the harness is bendy enough try swapping the injector plugs and see if the dead cylinders move with the plugs. It's batch fire so, mixing them doesn't matter.

I always wondered why Bosch designed it that way. It seems odd to have each injector cycle 4 times per combustion cycle. And why not have just one return to the ECU if they all fire at once anyway? It must have something to do with current surges from the solenoids or something like that.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Maltboy! wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

If the harness is bendy enough try swapping the injector plugs and see if the dead cylinders move with the plugs. It's batch fire so, mixing them doesn't matter.

I always wondered why Bosch designed it that way. It seems odd to have each injector cycle 4 times per combustion cycle. And why not have just one return to the ECU if they all fire at once anyway? It must have something to do with current surges from the solenoids or something like that.

Theory is there's a small puddle of gas sitting on the back of the hot intake valve all ready to leap into the cylinder when the valve opens. As for wiring?, don't know, I'm sure it made plenty of sense to schmartypants German engineers at the time, maybe leaving it open to possible future upgrades?. Wink

Слава Україні!
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Maltboy! wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Theory is there's a small puddle of gas sitting on the back of the hot intake valve all ready to leap into the cylinder when the valve opens. As for wiring?, don't know, I'm sure it made plenty of sense to schmartypants German engineers at the time, maybe leaving it open to possible future upgrades?. Wink

Maybe it had to do with reliability. If it only had one return, then all four cylinders are dead if it quits working due to a bad wire or ECU failure. With separate returns, you can limp home on 3 cylinders. It makes me wonder if it would be possible to tap into another injector circuit if one goes bad.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Maltboy! wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Maltboy! wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Maybe it had to do with reliability. If it only had one return, then all four cylinders are dead if it quits working due to a bad wire or ECU failure. With separate returns, you can limp home on 3 cylinders. It makes me wonder if it would be possible to tap into another injector circuit if one goes bad.

I'm not sure the resistors could handle it, or the transistors in the ECU, hopefully no body has to find out.

Here's some thoughts on limping home just FYI: https://ratwell.com/technical/LimpingHome.html

Слава Україні!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

The resistors will handle 2 injectors for a short period.

The transistors do not fair so good.

The system is one of the toughest ever designed! I have worked on all of GM 80 & 90s systems, all of Fords 80 -90s systems, all of Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, Renault, BMW, Mercedes, etc, etc. Not one of those other systems was as resilient as VW L jet. The only other system that is, maybe as good, was VW CIS even when they went to CISE. Bullet proof systems!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Maltboy! wrote:
And why not have just one return to the ECU if they all fire at once anyway? It must have something to do with current surges from the solenoids or something like that.

I've done my share of voice-coil and solenoid actuator design over the years. Here's my guess. Four parallel circuits/cables, one per injector, reduces the Inductance of each circuit. The precise control of on/off injector timing improves as the Inductance goes down.
waller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm replacing the fuel filter on my 78 FI Beetle (fuel pump up front). The new filter from Cali Imports has a 7mm connection on the left, but larger on the right. My current right fuel line is also 7mm so I guess I need to change it?

What size is the right line supposed to be?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

waller wrote:
What size is the right line supposed to be?]

10mm, 7/16" works in a pinch.

The bigger question is what sort of fuel pump is in there now?, the correct Bosch ones have a 10mm inlet.

Слава Україні!
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

It looks like the flow arrow is pointing toward the big side. Am I seeing that right? Flow should go from the big side to the small side.

waller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Maltboy! wrote:
It looks like the flow arrow is pointing toward the big side. Am I seeing that right? Flow should go from the big side to the small side.

Im no genius, but I think my filter was on backwards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

waller wrote:
Maltboy! wrote:

Wait. I'm wrong. It goes the opposite way. Small to big.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Maltboy! wrote:
waller wrote:
Maltboy! wrote:

Wait. I'm wrong. It goes the opposite way. Small to big.

Yes, small side to tank, big side to pump. Wink

Слава Україні!
waller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Yes, small side to tank, big side to pump. Wink

Got it figured out, thanks!
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

OK! New FI tank and hoses etc. from a few months ago. I noticed a gas smell at the latest fill up and found the main vent hose sliced here. The angle it's coming out of the tank definitely means it's going to rub on the bodywork here.

Tank is flush and seated properly, so I'm assuming the angle of that vent nipple is a bit off. Would y'all try and bend it down some, or have another suggestion?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 56

Jump to: