Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Fuel injection questions thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Light Black Box Question Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Maltboy! wrote:
Which side of the EGR black box does the long speedo cable connect to? Side with reset button or opposite side?

From the gallery:

So plug side goes to long cable. Thanks!

59 Beetle convertible, future project - 25,000 actual miles, original interior
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I'm debugging some sluggish start issues on my '75 super and found that temperature sensor II seems to be faulty.

Instead of the ~2.5KΩ at 20ºC it's reading 1.2KΩ, which is the normal reading for 40ºC. That would explain a lot of the behavior I've observed over the summer/fall.

No big deal, these are still available and cheap... what surprised me when I was taking the old sensor off is that it doesn't seem to match the orientation in the orange Bentley manual. Instead of coming off the head vertically above cylinder #4, it is coming off to the side. Is this normal for a '75 EFI Super or have the heads been replaced from something else at some point in the past?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

What's the part number cast in down behind the rockers?, maybe late type 3?, it's not the common place for type 1 L-jet.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
What's the part number cast in down behind the rockers?, maybe late type 3?, it's not the common place for type 1 L-jet.

040 101 3752 / 62

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Ahhhh...
It's a VW Brazil replacement head, not meant for L-jet but someone drilled and tapped that boss on the side of the rocker box, better than some of the alternatives. Does the RH head match?, I think the valves are different size than stock for that engine.

For reference the 68/69 D-jet head has the sensor below the exhaust port:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

yep same on both sides. should be interesting when/if a rebuild happens in the future.

needless to say, with a new temperature sensor the engine starts up a whole lot better. Not modern-car better, but closer!
christyxy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Hey everyone, when I bought my '79 super bug I wasn't all that familiar with the fuel injection system and how it was supposed to look, I've noticed that a few parts seem to be missing from mine compared to pictures I've seen of others, can anyone advise what I'm missing and how important it is?

It seems to run ok, if a bit rich (I just replaced temp sensor 2 and backed out the idle and CO screw a bit which have helped a lot)

Pics below annotated with the spaces missing parts or that look patched up!

There's a gap in the tinware by the left arrow for something to be bolted in, but I don't know what... and there's a bit of metal that's been bolted on to cover or in place of something else (2 bolts above the right arrow).

Can anyone advise? Is there anything else that looks out of place on my engine?

Cheers!

Christy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Your EGR system has been removed, the 79 would have used the mechanical valve, not easy to find a good one lately, but if you want it for show even a leaker will do if you put a solid gasket between it and the manifold.

Rich running could be related to fuel pressure, or a bad pressure regulator, put a 0-50 PSI water pressure gauge into the cold start valve hose and see what it's doing. Also test for a change when you pull the vacuum hose to the FPR off.
Hopefully you find an issue there, because the next suspect is a messed up AFM from some "expert" trying to compensate for a vacuum leak, that gets more complicated to repair.

Слава Україні!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Sounds like some extra air is getting into the intake manifold. Or you have a vacum leak. Start searching. Some of them make a whistle noise, under the right conditions. Others respond to shots of starting fluid and some remain “at large” until you smoke them out!

Use a smoke test method similar to this one.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620083&highlight=smoke+test

Or If you some cigars, that may benefit you. You could puff on the cigar and blow the smoke into the intake system, keeping your eyes peeled for latent smoke exiting!

Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I am trying to source a good quality new S boot for my 79 convertible. Part #043129617A

The one I received from CIP is great but the hole for the crankcase vent hose and sleeve is too big and I get a vacuum leak. The original one (made by VW) has a hole that holds the metal sleeve tight.

I am also looking for the hose that goes from the sleeve to the base of the oil filler. I believe it is part #181-129-651C but need to confirm.

The picture shows my original S boot with the metal sleeve. You can see the step down in the hole in the second picture. The new boot does not have the step down.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Sadly it's par for the course with CIP, I'm not aware of anyone who sells a better version, the competition likely all sell the same part from the same manufacturer. Airhead has been pretty good about getting things right, perhaps ask them about their version: https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/intake-sleeve-elbow-043-129-617-a/ They may have the hose too, I didn't look.

If it's the same part you may have to build up the sleeve/nipple with heat shrink or RTV to make it fit better.

I guess we should all still be thankful that any parts are available for a 43 year old car, even if they are kind of shitty and need tweaking to make work, things could be worse.

Слава Україні!
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
I am trying to source a good quality new S boot for my 79 convertible. Part #043129617A

The one I received from CIP is great but the hole for the crankcase vent hose and sleeve is too big and I get a vacuum leak. The original one (made by VW) has a hole that holds the metal sleeve tight.

I am also looking for the hose that goes from the sleeve to the base of the oil filler. I believe it is part #181-129-651C but need to confirm.

The picture shows my original S boot with the metal sleeve. You can see the step down in the hole in the second picture. The new boot does not have the step down.

I have the same S-boot on my '76. Had to take a clamp to it while holding it at a strange angle, then tighten it down until tight. Fortunately, that has been working well for the last 2 years and roughly logged about 7500 miles. Once you have the clamp on straight and tight on the vent pipe on all sides of the nipple, the rubber will form memory to help with removal as needed. I can take a picture if that will help.

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
admvw78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I'm in the midst of working through the wiring after a fuel pump stopped working on my 78 Super convertible. Double relay checked out after working through the process. Have yet to hardwire the fuel pump to see if that fixes the issue, but one oddity: All the spades are spoken for on the plugs that go into the double relay, but I have two left over white wires going through the firewall to the engine. They are factory terminated with spade clips and insulating covers. Anyone know what those are supposed to connect to? Are they missing a home, or are they diagnostic wires? I didn't unplug them between the time the car ran and when it stopped, so I don't think that's the root of the trouble, but do wonder what their purpose was. I can do some tracing and hunting if I need to, but thought I'd start by asking.
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

admvw78 wrote:
I'm in the midst of working through the wiring after a fuel pump stopped working on my 78 Super convertible. Double relay checked out after working through the process. Have yet to hardwire the fuel pump to see if that fixes the issue, but one oddity: All the spades are spoken for on the plugs that go into the double relay, but I have two left over white wires going through the firewall to the engine. They are factory terminated with spade clips and insulating covers. Anyone know what those are supposed to connect to? Are they missing a home, or are they diagnostic wires? I didn't unplug them between the time the car ran and when it stopped, so I don't think that's the root of the trouble, but do wonder what their purpose was. I can do some tracing and hunting if I need to, but thought I'd start by asking.

After looking at the '75-'79 wiring diagram, maybe the fuel injectors and cold start valve?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/76-79111wiring.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/76-79111wiring-key.jpg

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

admvw78 wrote:

Have a real close look at them, there was little black numbers printed on each wire once.

My first guess is an altitude selector switch, it was an option on cars sold in higher parts of the continent.

Edit: More on the altitude switch:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673015&highlight=altitude

Слава Україні!

Last edited by busdaddy on Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Sleeve to S boot issue solved by putting some 25mm shrink tube on it and trimming it to length.

The sleeve is originally 22mm in diameter. The shrink wrap makes it 24mm which fits perfect.

Car is running again.

How it fit before
admvw78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

[quote="busdaddy"]
admvw78 wrote:

Have a real close look at them, there was little black numbers printed on each wire once. My first guess is an altitude selector switch, it was an option on cars sold in higher parts of the continent.

Numbers 12 and 40 on the wires, for what its worth.

I went through some more troubleshooting with a test light, and I know power is getting to the fuel pump. Don't know if I jiggled wires the right way, but I got it to chug and then die, which is more than it had done for a bit. Its been a while since it ran right, and even then I tended to have an issue with it failing to restart if I popped the clutch and stalled it when hot. I never got that sorted. Then, it compounded by giving low power and acceleration. I've hunted for vacuum leak but never found one. If you'll pardon the longer post, could any one tell me if my checklist looks about right?

1. Replace oil and do a valve job (neither has been done in a long time, and it needs it regardless). (Valve issues might be related to low power problems noted below?)

2. See if I can still get it to catch and at least chug when starting.
- If not, tweak timing a bit until it does.
- I'm still using points, should I go ahead and spring for the Pertronix? Only hold up is the price and fear that it tends to let out the magic smoke and die on you. Do other people find them reliable? I know they give a better spark than points.
- If it still won't catch. go through the vacuum check of all the hoses and the mass air flow tubing (MAF and hose replaced when I restored the car about 15 years and 5000 miles ago).

3. When it works, hopefully the hot-starting problem is gone, but if not, that comes next.

3. When I have it working reasonably, I'll probably go through and do some rewiring to improve the current semi-acceptable rat's nest. If I do, are there any recommendations from the fuel injector crowd on what to do to keep the fuel injected system happy? The car is a fun car, not a commuter, so it sits for periods of time.

Thanks for the wisdom
Adam
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Much of what you describe sounds like a vacuum leak, possibly combined with a faulty temp sensor #2 (TS2). Although a tune up and valve adjustment is always worth the time to try first. Think twice about Pertronix, some don't produce a wave pattern that L-jet can read properly, all sorts of minor running issues can result. Points always work, and speak the language the system understands.

Smoke test for vacuum leaks: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620083&highlight=smoke+tester
TS2 test: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694879&highlight=sensor+ohms

FI tips?, there's lots but a few major ones are test and confirm a part is actually broken before changing it, new parts usually suck and OG parts rarely break. Don't just shoot the parts cannon at it, it makes diagnosis much harder, with a few basic tests you can narrow it down to the cause.
If you don't know the age of the rubber fuel lines, or they are more than a few years old change them all, use hose rated SAE J30r9 or higher and ABA style fuel injection hose clamps.

Слава Україні!
admvw78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Regarding Pertronix, I agree that well adjusted points should work fine. They can usually be tweaked to keep it running, and if something does go, keeping a spare condenser, points, and rotor in the glove box is cheap insurance.

Other notes:

1. I think it's earned some new hoses (some are original fabric covered rubber). I've tried a butane vacuum leak test, but couldn't find anything that way. The smoker is an interesting idea, though. What's the best source SAE J30r9 hoses?. Most of them are friction fit. I'll plan to add the clamps when I do them.

2. There's a small sliver relay box with a handful of wires coming and going under the rear seat opposite side of the battery (looks like half the size of the double relay and attached to floor pan with a screw through a tab). Can anyone give me the quick 101 on that box? I can snap a photo if needed.

3. In the course of troubleshooting, I discovered that the fuel pump hoses have sprung leaks and need replacing (they were replaced with new 15 years ago when I restored the vehicle). My previous hose routing left something to be desired. Any tips or best practices (or best hose vendor) that you'd recommend seeing as I have to do it over?

Thanks again,
Adam
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

The hoses all had clamps when it left the factory, the short ones between the fuel rails and injectors had pushlok ferrules on the injector ends, you can carefully split those with a dremel and use ABA clamps in their place.
Belmetric and Flennor are good sources for metric hose, if you are in a panic your local FLAPS will have 5/16" which is so damn close it really doesn't matter. The stuff isn't cheap, but it's impervious to ethanol and should last many years (inspect regularly anyways just because).
Or just buy the whole kit from Germansupply.com, they usually include hoses, clamps and a diagram on routing and lengths.

The relay on the LH side is for the rear window defogger.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Page 47 of 56

Jump to: