Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hard brake pedal with rear Disc Rail Buggy
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2381Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Hard brake pedal with rear Disc Rail Buggy Reply with quote

Thoughts please. Have had a hard brake pedal on my 73 Rail since I bought it. Brakes stop, but not well. Was converted to a rear disc set-up that I think the former owner got from J C Whitney. It has dual tractor brakes that are split from the one line running from the master cylinder. They work well. It has a single line master cylinder from a 66 Chevy truck, I believe. Could it be that this master cylinder is mismatched to the rear brakes? It has about a 1/2 play in the rod. No front brakes. Doesn't even have a brake light switch output on the master cylinder.

Not sure if I should put a buggy type master cylinder on it or not. Pulling on the tractor brake levers works pretty well so I don't believe I have a rear hose issue.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard brake pedal with rear Disc Rail Buggy Reply with quote

Mine had a 5/8 bore master cylinder with just rear disc on mine. What bore is the mc you are using?
2381Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hard brake pedal with rear Disc Rail Buggy Reply with quote

I'm not sure but when researching this on line for this year model cylinder, it appears it might be a 1 inch bore.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard brake pedal with rear Disc Rail Buggy Reply with quote

The bigger the MC diameter the LESS pressure you can develop for the same pedal pressure! Not an issue if they are power assisted brakes but if you are non assisted then the pedal had to be pressed much harder.

From memory an original VW bug MC was ~19mm so 1” (25mm) means braking will be harder!
2381Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard brake pedal with rear Disc Rail Buggy Reply with quote

Rehashing this older post I did a couple of years ago. I am about ready to try and solve this brake problem of a hard pedal. The current 1966 Chevy truck master cylinder does have a 1" bore. So if I drop to a smaller bore unit, hopefully that will give me a softer pedal with some give to it.

The Chevy cylinder that is on it supposedly has a fitting size of 7/16-24. It looks like the vw master cylinders are 10x 1.0 I would like to just use the same brake line and fitting that is there now. I can't find a 7/16 to a 10x1 adapter, but could go from a 7/16 to a 3/8 then to a 10x1. So, two adapters in between the brake line and the replacement cylinder. Is this a problem?

How small of a bore should I go to on the master cylinder to work with rear disc brakes (only)? I think the "buggy" cylinders are a 22 bore.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: