Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

25hp air direction vanes
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: 25hp air direction vanes Reply with quote

can someone tell me if these are a necessity on a 25hp? (part #34)

they were omitted in later engines

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: 25hp air direction vanes Reply with quote

Purists use them still.
I would think VW dropped them later for a reason.
Bengt H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 25hp air direction vanes Reply with quote

I think the later ones on the underside of the cylinders are better. When I restored the engine of my -49 I removed them in favor for the late ones.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 25hp air direction vanes Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
Purists use them still.
I would think VW dropped them later for a reason.

The ones that mounted on the top were replaced by the ones that go on the bottom.

You have to have one or the other or risk overheating problems.

The later bottom mounted ones continued all the way until the end so it was obviously the better of the two.

If you want an engine to be period correct then you should use the top mounted ones.

If you want your engine to be more reliable then you have to use the lower mounted ones.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 25hp air direction vanes Reply with quote

I have the later type in the engine for our '46 in the hope that I will not experience any overheating problems. Time will tell!

Although much of the tinware was of a very early type the air deflectors had already been changed for the later type by some past owner.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: