Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

This bus doesn't currently rise to the good deals threshold IMO and my only whine is that it hasn't been snatched up based on it's m-code merits. The turd that it is has to be overshadowing any m-code attributes. I thought I'd start a thread to capture it's condition, give it some exposure and garner some opinions about it's rarity and the possibility of it being saved and restored. It is my understanding that this bus may even get parted at this point...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2010572

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=36820

I missed this bus in the classifieds back in Aug/Sept 2016. Another member alerted me to the already deleted ad (below) after it was relisted and I stated that it would be interesting to have more history on the bus.

oakman wrote:
Lind wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1968933

'64 sunroof kombi. Looks to be a US serviceman vehicle. Built to USA specs, but delivered to Germany. The sunroof is a monster option to see on a kombi. Special order buses with good options are delicious.

I contacted the original U.S. seller regarding the bus' known history and he could offer nothing additional...only that buses from his locale (Michigan) typically have rust issues.

The bus sold and only recently arrived in the UK only to once again be listed for sale. I had a strong interest in the bus and began talking with the seller about the bus' actual condition as the current ad photos were less than ideal at portraying the really poor condition of the bus. The seller was very accommodating in answering my questions and providing additional photos of the bus.

UZI wrote:
that bus was rusty as a bag of dicks.

I'm not certain how rusty a bag of dicks really is, but I thought of the quote above ^^^^ when I saw most of the pics that aren't featured in the ad...

It would seem this bus is worth saving, but it's going to take a village to give it the care it needs...much the same as we see many Barndoor buses receiving these days. I don't know that I've ever seen another Model 235 with what appears to be Westy origins offered here.

Unfortunately, it's going to take nearly double the original U.S. asking price to get the bus back on U.S. shores. Just not doable for me and considering the bus' condition. I really wanted to capture the photographs, as who knows when another will surface?

Thanks for looking...Gary
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.

Last edited by RHD Notch on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:30 pm; edited 7 times in total
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy ? Reply with quote

Definitely an epic bus, hopefully somebody will step up and save it.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy ? Reply with quote

Maybe UZI collects dicks that are rusty? Think Laughing

That sure would be a thing to see. Restored, side tent, crazy 63 Westfalia goodness all smeared around the insides.

Its fun to dream.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

That does look like some left over Westy bits, so that could be true,
but wow that would be an expensive bus to do, just sourcing the SO22 kit would be big money not to mention the usual costs of metal repair.
The price asked is insane. even if it had the interior, still insane given the condition.
that being said it is worth saving for a much lower price and by a guy who can do the work himself. I saved one Mosaic, I ain't doing another, that one nearly killed me.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

I believe this bus was originally priced at $7,500.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:

You are correct...

The seller says his bottom line is £10,500 which is $13,000USD (today). Plus the bus still needs to get back to the U.S. That's double the original U.S. asking price. I think rough seas may bust it in half coming across the pond...

Given the amount of useable metal, I just don't see the seller recouping his money on this bus if it gets parted unless that original $7500 asking price came way down by the time a deal was struck...perhaps it did.

Braukuche wrote:
The price asked is insane. even if it had the interior, still insane given the condition. That being said it is worth saving for a much lower price and by a guy who can do the work himself.

This is spot on IMO ^^^^
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

RHD Notch wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

You are correct...

The seller says his bottom line is £10,500 which is $13,000USD (today). Plus the bus still needs to get back to the U.S. That's double the original U.S. asking price. I think rough seas may bust it in half coming across the pond...

Given the amount of useable metal, I just don't see the seller recouping his money on this bus if it gets parted unless that original $7500 asking price came way down by the time a deal was struck...perhaps it did.

Braukuche wrote:
The price asked is insane. even if it had the interior, still insane given the condition. That being said it is worth saving for a much lower price and by a guy who can do the work himself.

This is spot on IMO ^^^^

Hey you just miss out is all. Should of nabbed it when it was here Wink So why are you still pining on it at all? Unless traffic goods from overseas constitutes a price shift on containers - shit coming our way is going to be pricey.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Hey you just miss out is all. Should of nabbed it when it was here Wink So why are you still pining on it at all? Unless traffic goods from overseas constitutes a price shift on containers - shit coming our way is going to be pricey.

I'm out on making a deal on this bus notchboy, unless the seller changes his mind on my offer. You're right, I should've grabbed it when it was still in country, but I was dozing and it is what it is.

The whole purpose of posting it here was to capture the bus' condition and pricing (because it is a bus that's seldom seen) as well as hear from the Samba community their thoughts about whether or not THIS bus warranted any attention whatsoever and the reasons why...

I'd really like to see someone scoop it up, it just won't be me...
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

very cool and unique bus that needs pretty much the bottom 12" or so of the car plus all the other mechanical surprises that await and it is missing the entire westfalia interior.

Given the asking price and having a rough idea what it would cost to ship it back to north america and get all of the above done is way way too much $$ for me. Perhaps someone with deeper pockets would take this on.

Shame that pretty much all of the items which make the bus a "westfalia" are long gone so add that to the bill of getting this bus back in a functional shape
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

RHD Notch wrote:
This bus doesn't currently rise to the good deals threshold IMO and my only whine is that it hasn't been snatched up based on it's m-code merits. The turd that it is has to be overshadowing any m-code attributes. I thought I'd start a thread to capture it's condition, give it some exposure and garner some opinions about it's rarity and the possibility of it being saved and restored. It is my understanding that this bus may even get parted at this point...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2010572

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=36820
history on the bus.

oakman wrote:
Lind wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1968933

'64 sunroof kombi. Looks to be a US serviceman vehicle. Built to USA specs, but delivered to Germany. The sunroof is a monster option to see on a kombi. Special order buses with good options are delicious.

I contacted the original U.S. seller regarding the bus' known history and he could offer nothing additional...only that buses from his locale (Michigan) typically have rust issues.

The bus sold and only recently arrived in the UK only to once again be listed for sale. I had a strong interest in the bus and began talking with the seller about the bus' actual condition as the current ad photos were less than ideal at portraying the really poor condition of the bus. The seller was very accommodating in answering my questions and providing additional photos of the bus.

UZI wrote:
that bus was rusty as a bag of dicks.

I'm not certain how rusty a bag of dicks really is, but I thought of the quote above ^^^^ when I saw most of the pics that aren't featured in the ad...

On the one hand, that bus has a nice M-code plate, plus evidence of Westfalia conversion. Epic. Special order westys are the bees knees!

On the other hand, that is serious rust and it is missing virtually all camper stuff. There is not much point in "parting it out".

The big question is will it be worth it to someone as a done bus for what they'ld have into it including restoration? No one blinks at a 30K bus anymore... But does someone want to do the work on this one? I guess we'll see...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

RHD Notch wrote:
notchboy wrote:

I'm out on making a deal on this bus notchboy, unless the seller changes his mind on my offer. You're right, I should've grabbed it when it was still in country, but I was dozing and it is what it is.

The whole purpose of posting it here was to capture the bus' condition and pricing (because it is a bus that's seldom seen) as well as hear from the Samba community their thoughts about whether or not THIS bus warranted any attention whatsoever and the reasons why...

I'd really like to see someone scoop it up, it just won't be me...

I think it would be an awesome and rare Bus to resurrect but the condition is "super wasted" at this point.

I hope someone will take it on though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I think it would be an awesome and rare Bus to resurrect but the condition is "super wasted" at this point.

I hope someone will take it on though.
Agreed. There are some talented people on that side of the pond that could make it happen; just need the guy who is really into that particular bus.

I don't see anywhere near 12K if that bus was parted. The sunroof section looks be the only thing there of real value.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
low54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

I have seriously thought about taking it on but having just nearly finished one rotted out touristy delivery westy I just don't know.
It has all the tourist delivery things like steering lock, eberspacer
matthew smith1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

We currently have this bus for sale.. we bought it as a Resto project for this year but after finishing a customers rhd bd 23 window we are months and months behind so it's not happening!
We would absolutely love to build this bus and it's no biggie really! Everything you would possibly need is readily available for late model busses, even repro interiors!
Sorry that you missed out on the bus but it was for sale for ages, we unfortunately bought it just as the pound crashed to an all time low and with transport to the docks and shipping in dollars it made it an expensive bus, so I'm not accepting several thousand pounds less than it's actually cost Wink
Personally I think this is up there with one of the best m codes you could get! Ruby red-6 month only colour, 11 window sunroof, best option a bus could ever have and then the bonus(which we didn't know about) a tourist delivered so22 interior! Finished I think this bus would be unreal.. but that's just my opinion!

We'd happily take it on if we had the time, it would be a breeze compared to the 54 we just did

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

Since you have the bus in your possession and have looked it over, how much would it cost for you to do all the metal work it needs to be ready for paint? Someone mentioned the lower 12" but I even see some rust up high. Probably needs a torsion housing swap as well.

Ballpark?
matthew smith1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

Frame work, floors, arches etc not a prob, worst areas are a pillars and b pillars section rust. It would need new cargo and front doors too. I'd say 2 guys working on it could have it welded up in 5 weeks. So around £10-£12k in labour plus panels.
curbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

Top bus Matt good luck with the sale
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

matthew smith1 wrote:
Frame work, floors, arches etc not a prob, worst areas are a pillars and b pillars section rust. It would need new cargo and front doors too. I'd say 2 guys working on it could have it welded up in 5 weeks. So around £10-£12k in labour plus panels.

I'll ship my SO42 to you, you just ship this thing back to me finished. Smile
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

... sounds a bit like our 1962 ruby red, tourist delivery SO33, bought in 2007 for $50... without all the rust.

M plate # E33, should indicate it as an Special Order...

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Model 235 Ruby Red Sunroof Kombi Tourist Delivery Westy SO? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
... sounds a bit like our 1962 ruby red, tourist delivery SO33, bought in 2007 for $50... without all the rust.

What does it look like now? No time to search!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: