Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpineau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

My pump

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/url]

[/url]

[/img]
mad.macs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

I have an '88 I'm rebuilding the cruise on, but it needs a vacuum pump.
Looks like the part number is 701-907-325
There are a variety of Audi and VW pumps available used on eBay. The part numbers all end in 907-325, and they look nearly identical.

The one I'm looking at is 4B0 907 325

They should work right?
jpineau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

They will work. You might have to modify the mount and/or wiring, but it will work.

I am still struggling with mine. Does anyone know where I can send the control unit to get tested / repaired?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

I'd have to guess that about the only way to test the control unit would be to swap it temporarily into another car with working cruise control.

Otherwise, I think the Bentley procedure is to test each component individually at the plug for the control unit. Then if each one passes, by elimination the only culprit left is the control unit.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

I've seen the Speedo pulse wire switched with the brake fluid warning light wire before. Take a look at that.
There is someone on Ebay that rebuilds the ECU's. I have never seen a bad ECU.
I agree with other posters, run the Flow chart in Bentley and if that bellow is bad look around at a bunch of different brands they all use the same bellow.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I'd have to guess that about the only way to test the control unit would be to swap it temporarily into another car with working cruise control.

Otherwise, I think the Bentley procedure is to test each component individually at the plug for the control unit. Then if each one passes, by elimination the only culprit left is the control unit.

Here is a test program...with a step for checking the pump too.

When pins 4 and 7 are grounded simultaneously the vacuum servo should operate and open the throttle. If the brake and/or clutch pedals are operated during this test the vacuum servo should release. Hose leaks, leaky vacuum vent valves at the pedals and leaky servos are common reasons to fail this test.

See the linK:http://reflectionsandshadows.com/cruise/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: