Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weird Headlight Issue
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Weird Headlight Issue Reply with quote

1983.5 Vanagon Westfalia 1.9L WBX

I have a weird headlight issue. The short of it (no pun intended) is that the headlights don't come on with the light switch.

The long of it -

When I turn on the engine, and I flip the switch all the way (two clicks to the left), the orange running lights in the front come on. The rear tail lights come on. The headlights DO NOT come on. When I flip the brights stalk, the brights flash, but DO NOT stay on in any position (headlights on or headlights off).

Any ideas? Thank you in advance!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird Headlight Issue Reply with quote

Seems reasonable to suspect the headlight switch, but first check grounds.

Do you have relays installed?

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird Headlight Issue Reply with quote

Headlight switch, ignition switch, and/or load reduction relay.

With the ignition switch, it could be a faulty load reduction (aka "X") circuit. Test for continuity between terminals 30 and X.

If you jumper the load redux relay and the lights work, relay is most likely shot.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird Headlight Issue Reply with quote

Given that you can flash your headlights, we know that a large part of the high beam circuit is operational: fuses, relay (if installed), bulbs (obviously) and grounds are OK.

The load reduction relay isn't required for the headlights to work.

A faulty ignition switch (its X-circuit, specifically) would disable the headlights, but also the wipers, fresh air fan and rear defrost. Are these working? It they are, the main suspect is the headlight switch.
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Headlight Issue Reply with quote

Update - it was the headlight switch. Specifically, the connection. I took the cluster off, pulled the switch and noticed that the connection to the harness was a little loose. I pressed them together and Presto! everything is working.

Thanks for all the help, volks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: