Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawnrogan65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

Hi guys. I have done several searches and read various posts but I am still prompted to ask a couple questions to see if I can make sense of all I read.

Fairly recently purchased 1965 Beetle for my son. 1600CC engine rebuilt by previous owner less than 5000 miles.

We've never cleaned or replaced the carb air filter. Recently did a rebuild on the carb and seeing the air filter was soaked with oil. Cleaned that and re-installed with the rebuilt carb (Solex H30/31 PICT). Oil level not too high. Breather hose runs from filler tube to carb air filter. With filter off, watching what seems to be too much oil being spit up into the tube. Under filler cap, I see the white slime stuff I've read is condensation yet to burn off.

My concern is whether I should expect to see that amount of oil coming into the breather tube all the way to the air filter.

The easy answer might be that the alt stand gasket with the louvers is on wrong and allowing too much oil to come up all the way versus being direct back toward the case.

Other potential answers though? Too much crankcase pressure? Should I run a better breather system, i.e. off the valve to a box under car?

As always, thank you for the patient and helpful replies!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

could be many things but you realy need to get it out of the air cleaner as that can cause detonation and a hole in a piston and a lot of blow by and could push oil up to the carb where it could cause detonation and poke as hole in a piston and cause a lot of blow by and push oil up to the carb and.... Rolling Eyes . could also be a broken ring or 2 or sloppy"rebuild". compression check/leekdown.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

IF you loosen the oil cap and let it sit on the filler when the engine is running does it bounce around a lot? Does oil actually spray out of the filler at idle? IF so you need to do a leak down test on the cylinders to see if the rings are worn out or were they installed wrong etc.

A 1600 should not need any other breather than what came stock.

brad
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

Use a real air/oil separator inline to prevent oil from entering the intake tract.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shawnrogan65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

Thank you guys for responding!!

bugguy1967: So I am planning to install a rear breather.

Brad: When filler cap is off...oil isn't spitting out of the filler tube necessarily but I do observe some "bubbling" or small drops of oil coming up. I also experience a fair amount of "air flow" or air coming up out of the filler. If I placed the filler cap loosely on the tube it would likely "bounce around". That doesn't seem right?

Mark: I will look into the leakdown. Motor was newly built just a year ago and barely has miles on it so if something is not right...certainly a sloppy build...and I will be PO'ED. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

Possibly too much oil in the engine; the baffle under the alt/gen stand is not situated correctly; can you provide a photo of your engine with the oil filler/breather system (if it is aftermarket it may be more restrictive than stock esp if it does not have the downdraft tube).
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

Would strongly suggest doing a leakdown test. Will tell you if its getting past the rings and pressurizing the case. You usually also see oil leaking around the crank pulley in that event. If oil is overfilled, you DEFINITELY will see oil around the crank pulley. Adding breathers will be a band aid.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shawnrogan65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

Again thank you guys for the replies and help!

Attached is a picture of the after-market filler for feedback.

Oil capacity is just right so I am not concerned too much. No oil leaking around the pulley.

I will work on that leak down test for sure to at least confirm.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with that filler IMHO. Have used them on occasion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shawnrogan65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

Thanks andk5591.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

That is one of those POS aftermarket aluminum fillers. The fitting is 1/4 NPT. Take off the hose and look at the tiny opening of that brass fitting. Compare that to the fittings on the stock oil/filler breather with downtube which has more than twice the surface area to let your engine breathe.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1986386

I am not saying that is the problem-I would start with the overfill first, but my second step would be replace that filler with a stock one.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

The oil breather being restricted would cause the oil to come out of the least restrictive orifice. This is typically around the crank pulley IMHO. The OP's issue is having more oil coming up the line.

As was mentioned, if you take the cap off, you should feel gentle pulses both directions...You really should not have any real pressure blowing out .You will have some, but very little. BUT if you do, this means that you have something pressurizing the case. This is typically excessive blowby past the rings.

I am running similar fillers as the OP on 3 of our cars. A mild 1600, a 1955 stroker and a 1914. No problems. But also all of the engines are in really good shape,

But if you feel a stock filler would help, you could try it or drill out the fitting some. Don't think it will make a difference, but sure wont hurt anything.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
The oil breather being restricted would cause the oil to come out of the least restrictive orifice. This is typically around the crank pulley IMHO. The OP's issue is having more oil coming up the line.

As was mentioned, if you take the cap off, you should feel gentle pulses both directions...You really should not have any real pressure blowing out .You will have some, but very little. BUT if you do, this means that you have something pressurizing the case. This is typically excessive blowby past the rings.

I am running similar fillers as the OP on 3 of our cars. A mild 1600, a 1955 stroker and a 1914. No problems. But also all of the engines are in really good shape,

But if you feel a stock filler would help, you could try it or drill out the fitting some. Don't think it will make a difference, but sure wont hurt anything.
rong, the oil will go up the restricted fitting befor a unrestricted fitting due to the velocity.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
andk5591 wrote:

rong, the oil will go up the restricted fitting befor a unrestricted fitting due to the velocity.

I disagree.... Laughing
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

Any chance that an incorrectly oriented oil deflector beneath the oil fill could cause this?
Any chance the OP builder did not correctly orient this deflector?

Any way to check without pulling the stand, alternator, shroud?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

Shawn:

Off topic, I know, but - GO CATS!

Best,
Thom
Class of 2000 M.Sc. Hydrology & Water Resources
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

I would 1. Make sure the oil level is not overfilled; 2. Remove your existing oil filler and use a flashlight to look down the alt stand and make sure the oil deflector plate is installed correctly; 3. Replace that oil filler with a stock one with a downdraft tube and make sure you have the downdraft boot on as well.
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil coming up into air filter from breather line Reply with quote

Shawnrogan65,
My engine just started to do the same thing as yours (oil spitting out the filler hose). Never done it before UNTIL I changed the oil and added Brad Penn 10w40. I haven't drained the oil to add regular 30w, but does that make any sense to folks with more experience in VW engines??? Would the wrong grade oil cause this issue? Thank you in advance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: