Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

This is kinda neat.

Get rolling to knowwhere.
But, if it's going to be a trailer queen, it'll probably be enough to drive it up onto a flat bed parked in front of it.

What me worry?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

If they show up with a flatbed - they are probably going to leave with the car.

There is only so much you can do.
TheArmand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Now you want to complicate the obviously easy task of sticking an interrupted starter signal wire switch.

Lokk, I did this to my 87 12 years ago.
I mentioned that I would go take a look at what color wire it was.
I didn't, it's too damn cold, I would hace to remove the shift console, or get the rug up.

So, let me make this real simple as the job actually is.

Remove the shift console, look at the neutral saftey switch.
Grab the wire that comes off the back of it, and heads to the rear of the van under the rug.
It runs to the passenger seat.

I cut this wire, installed a Caterpliiar D-8 power turn off switch, drilled one hole in my seat base, tightened up the locking washer on the switch, I was done.

This switch is a 24 volt switch, it's more than you van could ever put out, and has functioned perfectly since I have installed it.

Now, if you want bells, whistles, fog horns, merry go rounds to switch on in the event your van gets raped while parked, go for it.

I have zero advise for you.

I made the job real easy, and my van has never been violated.

(Surely not because of the switch--I'm in a safe neighborhood.)

I just feel better if I park in a strange place in the city.

Good bye, farewell, so long , & good luck.

It seems like this would be "downstream" from the power in the dash, therefore maintaining the clock time and radio settings and whatnot?
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

Today I took a step forward by installing a switch somewhere in the dash which is wired to one of the two red/blk wires that connect to the back of the neutral safety switch (automatic)......and it works.

The motor doesn't crank over.

At this point, I'm not sure how long this layout will be used but for me, anything is better than just dreaming about it.

I needed to make it somewhat wifey friendly since she drives it.

I truly appreciate all the words of wisdom everyone has contributed to the post. Next is to look into a GPS tracker setup.....oh joy!

Craig
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

Lots of good info here on GPS trackers. Cheap ones too.... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

Any issues with using a breaker as a kill switch? Was thinking of using a 120a bussman on the starter battery ground wire, locate the switch in the passenger seat pedestal - one would have to know where to feel around to find it... not the safest but a basic deterrent

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

Remove the shift console, look at the neutral saftey switch.
Grab the wire that comes off the back of it, and heads to the rear of the van under the rug.
It runs to the passenger seat.

I cut this wire, installed a Caterpliiar D-8 power turn off switch, drilled one hole in my seat base, tightened up the locking washer on the switch, I was done.

This switch is a 24 volt switch, it's more than you van could ever put out, and has functioned perfectly since I have installed it.

Nice TK, thinking of doing this to our auto, seems simple enough.

Does it just effect starting? If the key gets knocked out/taken out/turned off or eaten while running what happens - anything?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

I don't think switching the switch off will do anything while the van is running.
The reason I'm saying this is I have never tried it.

In the back of my mind, all that you are doing is shutting the power delivery to the solinoid, on the power wire from the neutral saftey switch.
I haven't ever taken a look where the power to the coil comes from.

If the engine won't crank over, the van remains parked.

I think the power feed for the coil is off of a wire on the ignition switch.

Look in the Bentley for the track of the coil wire.

Oh-- the neutral saftey switch has two heavy 6ga. Red wires, one in one out to the starter, and runs under the rug back to the starter.
Real easy to interrupt with a key type switch mounted on the passenger seat pedestal.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

For my mod which is basically what TK has been suggesting, it affects starting. Does not crank over. Also I turned the switch off while the motor was running and it kept on going. Puurrrr, Purrrrrr, Again, this is with an automatic.

Craig
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

Perfect. I had picked up one of those red keyed disconnects with intentions of interrupting the negative from the start battery, but this sounds way easier with less potential to create a problem (longer ground running to seat pedestal would be a bit of a job to do correctly/safely - work area is still the in-laws yard... Rolling Eyes )

I'm pretty good at knocking crap off/over/onto in the van so good to hear this mod wouldn't prove detrimental if the key gets broke off or whatever. I wanted to make it relatively easy to access and use it pretty much any stop more then a minute or two.

Installing tomorrow. Thanks! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gampbell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
There is a red wire from the battery to the neutral safely switch.
On the side of the base of the passenger seat install a Caterpillar keyed power switch.
Odd ball key, very few folks have a Cat key handy.

It breaks the power to the starter, it's a flat faced tumbler, nobody will know what it is.

Turn it on to start the Van, turn it off when you get out.

Simple, easy to mount, and effective.

Go to any Cat dealer and pick one up very reasonable.

Every Caterpillar has this power ,on & off switch, they do work well.

Terry,

Do you have a link to the model of CAT key you installed? I think I'll go this route.

Is this the one?:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/7N0718-7N-0718-Switch-Discon...0408.m2460
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

Yes, that's the CAT key. It'll MEOW each time you activate it Shocked

Craig
gampbell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

So here are some photos of my NSS. The wires all disappear into the floor body. What I'm thinking of doing is cutting one of the red/black wires there inside the shift console and splicing a wire to each end (10 gauge?) and running them under the carpet to an undisclosed location to the CAT switch. My passenger seat pedestal doesn't have a cutout so I'm not sure how I'd mount and wire up the switch on the side of it.

Just ordered the CAT Twisted Evil switch today so I'll prolly start this project soon.

My questions are:

1. Does it matter which of the two red/black wires I cut?
2. Anyone know what gauge the red/black wires are?

Mahalo's

MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

OK, having read all 12 or so threads about Kill Switch installation ideas, I'm still not clear on one thing:

I have a spare rear window defogger switch that I grabbed at the U-Pull a few years back and I think it would work well as a Kill Switch (or no-start switch) in plain sight on the dash, replacing the blank below the existing fog switch. This would would break the GROUND side of the fuel pump. It sounds as if others here think this is an OK solution as well. (And yes, after posting this here I may add a second switch somewhere...d8~)

The question that everyone seems to dance around, while at the same time as offering other really good solutions, is: Does the fog switch have the carrying capacity for the direct-to-FP-ground current? Yes, I could do a switch to the relay/starter/coil etc. but that's not the route I want to go unless the fog switch is a bad idea. I didn't see an amp rating on the switch.

Have I missed the correct answer somewhere or has it not been posted. I may look at a more "complex" solution in the future, but for the moment this solution will work for me.

Thanks in advance.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

MootPoint wrote:
OK, having read all 12 or so threads about Kill Switch installation ideas, I'm still not clear on one thing:

I have a spare rear window defogger switch that I grabbed at the U-Pull a few years back and I think it would work well as a Kill Switch (or no-start switch) in plain sight on the dash, replacing the blank below the existing fog switch. This would would break the GROUND side of the fuel pump. It sounds as if others here think this is an OK solution as well. (And yes, after posting this here I may add a second switch somewhere...d8~)

The question that everyone seems to dance around, while at the same time as offering other really good solutions, is: Does the fog switch have the carrying capacity for the direct-to-FP-ground current? Yes, I could do a switch to the relay/starter/coil etc. but that's not the route I want to go unless the fog switch is a bad idea. I didn't see an amp rating on the switch.

Have I missed the correct answer somewhere or has it not been posted. I may look at a more "complex" solution in the future, but for the moment this solution will work for me.

Thanks in advance.

I just added an extra relay close to the fuel pump to switch the pump +ve, which also provides power for the relay coil. The kill-switch just grounds the relay coil. No worries about inrush currents etc with that. Wink
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

I wanted to provide documentation of what I did for a starter kill switch.

What I wanted:

-something hidden in plain sight
-something that would suppress starting, but would not kill the engine once it is started

Too many other people (wife, brother) drive my van and could throw the "kill" switch accidentally while driving, thinking it was a headlight switch or something like that. That's just unsafe for my user context...

The answer is to cut the starter solenoid circuit using a defroster switch mounted in the available slot in the gauge cluster. It is helpful if you already have a Jay Brown hard start relay kit installed--this further reduces the current passing through the ignition switch. Splice the defroster switch into the red/black starter solenoid wire coming from the ignition switch, and give yourself plenty of 10ga wiring slack to run the wires up to the gauge cluster.

Now I can flip the switch on and the van won't start. Flip it off and it starts fine. When the van is running, operating the switch does nothing at all. The perfect setup for me.

For controlling the fuel pump, use a heavy switch on the ground wire and mount it someplace inconspicuous--perhaps inside the B pillar, accessible when the driver door is open.

kourt
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

MootPoint wrote:
...I have a spare rear window defogger switch... Does the fog switch have the carrying capacity for the direct-to-FP-ground current?...

Yes. I did this and it works just fine. PM sent with an additional tip.
512dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
If anyone needs help on a starter solenoid interrupt switch idea feel free to PM me. I also like TK's method if you have an auto tranny.

I'm looking to do the same thing. The wire to the solenoid goes from pin D24 and is a bigger 6mm diameter wire, I'm not sure the wire gauge. Did you tap into that or the R/BLK wire coming from the B connector that runs to the ignition switch?

I'll PM you for the goods. Smile
GusGusdasWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

gampbell wrote:

My questions are:

1. Does it matter which of the two red/black wires I cut?
2. Anyone know what gauge the red/black wires are?

Greetings!

I'm about to do this as well (though using a Blue Sea m-series battery switch) and have the same questions as Gampbell.

Does anyone happen to know the answers?

"Augustiner" our '86 Westfalia, 2.5L Subi, Auto
Previous autos:
'00 Jetta VR6, '97 Golf Trek, '85 GTI, '84 GTI and a '72 Superbeetle
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill switch to the coil vs fuel pump Reply with quote

kourt wrote:

Now I can flip the switch on and the van won't start. Flip it off and it starts fine. When the van is running, operating the switch does nothing at all. The perfect setup for me.

I have this reversed. Off, the van won't start. Switch looks like all the others, all off. Flip it on, starter works fine, flip it off once it's running.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: