Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for"
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Cause you just might get it!
I had been in pursuit of this single cab for roughly the last 15 years. A locally known- "keeper of volkswagens" shocked me one day when he finally agreed to sell. I've been inspired by recent build threads such as members glideking and schwing and now just a few months into this build, MUCH respect for all who have gone down this road.
My end goal here is to have a solid and original truck. In typical fashion.. I will be fighting for garage time between family and work - but I decided to start this thread for the kick in the pants from time to time which I'm sure I will need. Onto the pictures- (as first found in barn)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Congratulations! We'll be watching and cheering you on! You've graduated to the land of nipple turn signals and black flatback seats!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Extraction day was a blast... as most are. We had to move around 5 other VW's to get the single cab into the light of day. Estimated to have been in the barn around twenty years. Almost on cue some dark summer storm clouds rolled in and the rain poured down just after loading.
The light of day...

"In Tow" ... once again

And this part came natural... last time I restored a bus, a few beetles "hit the market"- Great timing on this one, sold the following Monday.

jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Thank you Bill! We pulled the truck in May. Due to the original cab paint and the Dove blue peeking from this bullet...

I decided to try out the oven cleaner method and build up my forearms.

Scored some sweet original paint bullets from a samba wanted ad...

Pleasantly surprised with this wheel well...

For those of you in the paint removal "know"... this took TIME

FYI- the Vespa SOLD too... truck fund
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Drawing some encouragement from our current 67 westy... This truck has a looong way to go! I scored an excellent front bumper which I plan to strip as well... gotta be some blue under there.

jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

And where it stands today... I used tarps to divide the garage. It feels like a hospital curtain... Let the surgery begin. Hoping to get some shop time each week and share the progress. The other build threads here have already been incredible for info. Thank you

Ohhh boy...

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

This shit just got real. Good luck with the build, I'm sure you will get there.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Nice job with the stripping, looks grand.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

nice work on the paint stripping. My arms are aching just looking at the pics.
installing the headlights always seems to cheer the bus up and make it look like less of a real poject. I do the same thing. good work so far, keep it up!
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Beautiful! Another MD single cab. Where abouts are you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
Beautiful! Another MD single cab. Where abouts are you?

PA bus now.
I guess the previous "driver" had it in MD. It had a very sad aluminum flashing/bondo rust repair paint job. I was shocked how much rusted metal was simply covered in flashing, pop riveted into place and mudded.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Nice project, subscribing for updates!
Jung Restoration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

So awesome Jeremy, let it begin!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Shocked you did a great job stripping the SC.

i will be watching. nice S042.
V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Awesome!! Great find. I'll be following this one for sure. I agree glidking inspired me to get my '55 done. Should be rolling by April 1st!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Now you've gone and done it. When you start a build thread you are on the hook with us. We will see you through with this but you gotta give us updates. It is hard to find the big chunks of time but there is always some little thing you can do when you have a little time to move it forward. When there is no deadline you can enjoy it more. This project can make you happy even when you are away from the garage. Just knowing it is there waiting for you.

I am interested in the variety of different build threads. The different visions that people have in mind. I am enjoying how your truck is evolving as you discover what it has to offer.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
Now you've gone and done it. When you start a build thread you are on the hook with us. We will see you through with this but you gotta give us updates. It is hard to find the big chunks of time but there is always some little thing you can do when you have a little time to move it forward. When there is no deadline you can enjoy it more. This project can make you happy even when you are away from the garage. Just knowing it is there waiting for you.

I am interested in the variety of different build threads. The different visions that people have in mind. I am enjoying how your truck is evolving as you discover what it has to offer.
Kurt

Thanks for responding Kurt- and thanks for your build thread. No question these threads have a way of keeping us on track... with corrections or advice along the way.
I brought a 67 westy back to it's glory nearly 8 years ago. We made the decision to send it out for metal/body/paint... obviously a HUGE step. When we got the beautifully painted shell back, assembly was a blast. I dream of the day where this truck is to that point.
The original paint /patina VS new paint is yet to be decided. It will be difficult to determine where to start and stop. Here's the westy link...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...mp;start=0
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Looking forward to watching this bus brought back to life. Popcorn

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Ugh, the treasure chest work is the worst! Tackle that when you are in a really motivated mood. Other than that, it's pretty much what you are used too from doing your bus. Nice score

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
wrenchnride247
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

oh boy! Popcorn

'62 SC 69x90.5 SP TI
'70 T1 84x105 DP T4
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: