Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
looks good up nice and tall, makes me want to run stock height and knobbies!

I hope the bias tires ride ok... I definitely like the look. Lowering is for deluxe (IMO)! I had a set back on my tranny install- I tried the custom bracket a samba member had come up with, it was not lining up as well as I had hoped. I finally pulled it back out and have the Wagenwest adapter on order.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

I've read good things about the tr3 polish- so I was anxious to try it out. It does do a very good job on oxidation and mild polish- I am very thankful the truck remained dove blue and unhacked inside for all those years-

jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Update on the transmission adapter. As is turns out, the custom made adapter from samba member (Jason) would have worked just fine. I was not realizing the resistance from the nose cone clearance which was not allowing the transmission to fully set. I did buy the adapter that Nate sells and I am pleased with it. That said, for those following- it seems the home made adapter would have worked, as some have already posted. ALL that said- now I need a reverse switch plug, I hoped I could gain the space by shaving the terminals, no such luck.

Below is the difference needed for the nose cone shave- it was quite a bit more than I originally thought.

I tried using the suppled Allen head bolt for added clearance, I need the plug

jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

I couple other steps forward... I pulled the main harness into position and also ran some hard lines which are much easier to do with the transmission removed.

jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

My challenges continued on installing the big nut trans in the single cab. The plug I ordered seemed all good for my clearence issue, but it still would not clear the bolt head- back out with the trans, so close.

I did some grinding on both the plug and the bolt head- and finally, the tranny rests in place, just as it should. I wish I had caught the bolt clearence issue earlier on, but maybe my experience will assist someone with the same problem. At last- this truck is a roller!

I would have rolled her outside for the photo op, but it was a nasty weather day here in PA, ice and sleet. I've pretty well sorted the wiring... a bit more to attend to...

panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

You didn't want the big whitewalls on the outside ? Crying or Very sad
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

panel wrote:
You didn't want the big whitewalls on the outside ? Crying or Very sad

Well, not on a truck- I could see it if it were a deluxe bus. I'm definitely more of a blackwall guy- to each his own
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

I cleaned up my wiring- also spent some time adapting the OG tail light housings to use with the LED upgraded tail lights.

I pulled the terminals and found a rubber grommet that fit...

Rear of LED installed- very pleased with the quality and fit of this product

jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Here is the link on those LED tail lights- Thank you Chip!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1412740
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Wow cool he even has latter LED sets too!
Your SC is looking great Jeremy.

jeremy57ride wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

jeremy57ride wrote:
I've read good things about the tr3 polish- so I was anxious to try it out. It does do a very good job on oxidation and mild polish- I am very thankful the truck remained dove blue and unhacked inside for all those years-
]

Have you tried this on the exterior yet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chuckfoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Can you post a video or photos of the tail lights to show brightness difference between brake and running light? The video from where you purchased them from doesn’t really help see this difference. Thx!
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

jeremy57ride wrote:

Thanks Linda- I did not know Chip offered the later tail lights... I am running a third brake light on the westy... but may have to take a look at those.
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:
jeremy57ride wrote:
]

Have you tried this on the exterior yet?

I am not planning to polish the exterior at this point... after all the metal work I am currently deciding whether to clear coat. I am tempted to just polish it... I'll have to step back when it is all together.
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

chuckfoo wrote:
Can you post a video or photos of the tail lights to show brightness difference between brake and running light? The video from where you purchased them from doesn’t really help see this difference. Thx!

I can do that but it will be awhile- I have a starter coming next week and will likely hook the battery in a couple weeks.
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

I got into stripping the deck lid- the dove is there... man I forgot how much work it took to find this blue!

jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Bringing me back to those page one memories...

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Yep.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1865103

jeremy57ride wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

jeremy57ride wrote:

Thanks Linda- I did not know Chip offered the later tail lights... I am running a third brake light on the westy... but may have to take a look at those.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Took a few more steps forward, got a good used Bowden tube and the missing clips for my throwout bearing... that led to the engine install

jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Last week I took advantage of some Florida sunshine, hauled the deck lid on our vacation and stripped the remaining paint.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: