Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Yes on the quality metal work!- I am very pleased with Seth's work. Also impressed with Gerson's quality, and quick shipping. I knew the corners would eventually need replaced... made a big decision to do the rear as well at this time. I got around to cleaning up the front suspension parts... also used CLR and some more paint removal (EZ OFF) on the wheels. NOTE- toilet paper rolls fit perfectly in front beam housings for masking!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Front end is coming along, also finished cleaning up the wheels, sprayed them with matte clear.. and had the Bias piles mounted. Metal work continues, Seth sent the updated floor pic...

Salazar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Jeremy

Nice work on the single, I have a 57 dove blue also, thanks for sharing your work, quick question, what brand are the front shocks you use and where did you get them ? thanks!
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Salazar wrote:
Jeremy

Nice work on the single, I have a 57 dove blue also, thanks for sharing your work, quick question, what brand are the front shocks you use and where did you get them ? thanks!

Thank you! I just got the Wolfsburg West shocks. http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111513031G
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Scored a sweet commercial hubcap- what are the thoughts on the correct cap color? I've read that Dove Blue commercial buses had different color hubcaps.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

jeremy57ride wrote:
Scored a sweet commercial hubcap- what are the thoughts on the correct cap color? I've read that Dove Blue commercial buses had different color hubcaps.

Grey is well gray, and any non-chrome hubcaps were that color. There were some variation in the particular shade of grey/gray over the years, but not a Dove Blue specific one.
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
jeremy57ride wrote:

Grey is well gray, and any non-chrome hubcaps were that color. There were some variation in the particular shade of grey/gray over the years, but not a Dove Blue specific one.

Thank you- These commercial "patina" caps are hard to come by... not sure I see putting $400 into a set!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

jeremy57ride wrote:

Thank you- These commercial "patina" caps are hard to come by... not sure I see putting $400 into a set!

Just get a new well made set of repro chrome ones and have them powder coated the grey that matches an OG one you or a friend might have.

If you get the plain steel chrome hubcaps have the PC shop put on the Marine Primer first before the color coat. The MP will help greatly to keep rust to a very slooow crawl at any scratch or chip in the PC that will happen, and from working its way under the coating.

If you go with the SS hubcaps, you do should not need the Marine Primer.

Oddly enough a couple of front splash pans we have the remaining OG paint is the same grey/gray as the OG hubcaps we have. Went to the PC shop a couple of years ago, to get a friends stuff done up, and found by eye an exact match there.
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
jeremy57ride wrote:

Yes, there is a Dove Blue specific one. Dove Blue commercial vehicles use L249 Dove Grey caps, while all other commercials use L345 Light Grey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
jeremy57ride wrote:

Yes, there is a Dove Blue specific one. Dove Blue commercial vehicles use L249 Dove Grey caps, while all other commercials use L345 Light Grey

Thread from the Bus FAQ with some info
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54667
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Thanks everyone- This is the discussion I was looking for... I don't think I'm concerned if the caps are L345 or L249. I suppose I will run what I have and update them as I find better.

EverettB wrote:
VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
jeremy57ride wrote:

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
jeremy57ride wrote:

Interesting! Wonder which the splash pan is....
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Set back- I took my son to a skate park last week and decided the rail slide was within my grasp. After collecting myself off of the pavement, I had a split eyebrow, sprained left wrist, and my right wrist is broken in two places. Needless to say, the project is taking a 6 week rest- precisely when I was hoping to kick it into high gear. Embarassed Hope to dive back in, full force after the fourth of July. Happy summer everyone!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

jeremy57ride wrote:
Set back- I took my son to a skate park last week and decided the rail slide was within my grasp. After collecting myself off of the pavement, I had a split eyebrow, sprained left wrist, and my right wrist is broken in two places. Needless to say, the project is taking a 6 week rest- precisely when I was hoping to kick it into high gear. Embarassed Hope to dive back in, full force after the fourth of July. Happy summer everyone!

Get well soon! A broken rib and concussion let me know getting vertical on the half pipe with my 20" park BMX was no longer a lifestyle choice at half a century and counting. My son's reaction to the wet bag of cement laying on the ground was "Dude you almost made that 360!" Not my goal at the time actually. Still having some small time fun on a soft-tail slope-style (with brakes Crying or Very sad ) but fading fast. At least we're enjoying the ride!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
jeremy57ride wrote:

Get well soon! A broken rib and concussion let me know getting vertical on the half pipe with my 20" park BMX was no longer a lifestyle choice at half a century and counting. My son's reaction to the wet bag of cement laying on the ground was "Dude you almost made that 360!" Not my goal at the time actually. Still having some small time fun on a soft-tail slope-style (with brakes Crying or Very sad ) but fading fast. At least we're enjoying the ride!

Thank you! I am counting my blessings- it could have been worse. I felt 16 sliding up that rail.. collecting myself from the asphalt was a harsh reminder- too old! Sad
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Bummer Jeremy! I hope you are on the mend quickly! At 65 now, I'm not even sure that I want to get on roller coasters anymore (especially the types that spin all around and hang you upside down most of the ride trying hard to make you "hurl"), yet for a living I shoot thru the sometimes turbulent skies at almost 600 miles per hour with hundreds of guests aboard pushing a 400 lb liquor cart and it never phases me in the least... go figure.

Get better soon old man! The SC can wait.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
jeremy57ride wrote:

...and by the way, "Dove Grey" is a unique hubcap color for the Dove Blue commercial Buses. Back in the day Volkswagen AG must have thought the normal Grey-painted hubcaps could be improved upon to want to produce "Dove Grey" caps for use on only the Dove Blue buses. I agree, it does look better and I have 'em on my Dove Blue DC.

Not the best side-by-side comparison photo, but here is a repro commercial hubcap mounted on the rim of my '59 SWR DD Panel in normal grey and one of my caps just before the white VW logo was painted on in powder-coated Dove Grey, shot inside a garage (not in sunlight). Out in the sunlight, both colors look lighter. Quite a difference.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

Thanks Bill- I'm going to leave skateboarding to the kids. That hubcap pic has me thinking my commercial cap may be dove grey. I may get the WW spray can to color compare. Your double cab is looking sharp as usual. Cool
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

ABOUT TIME- for a major update. The metal work on this truck has been a long road. I am super please with the quality (and quantity) of work that has been accomplished. As many here know- if done correctly, this takes time. Seth has been great to work with, he is passionate about these old buses, and it shows.
Enough of that- onto the pics.

jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Single Cab "be careful what you wish for" Reply with quote

By next week, the entire chassis should be in POR15 with a top coat of commercial grey. The plan is to put the bare metal into epoxy and do some final OG paint clean up before the blend. I've been doing my part in the home garage to prepare for its return and assembly-

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: