Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bosch Spark plug Wires vs......
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

Greetings all, does anyone know the brand of spark plug wires that B-D is selling ? They list it as part # 021-998-031A and claim that they are a better wire set than the Bosch ones are. That part fits the 1972-1979 Bus and the 1980-1983 Vanagons.

Looking for name of Manufacturer...want to read up on the reviews but can't seem to find any.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

Phone or Email and ask them: http://www.busdepot.com/contact-us/

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Phone or Email and ask them: http://www.busdepot.com/contact-us/

I should have mentioned that I did get a hold of BD with my exact question and they simply pointed me in the direction of their website. They offered up no Brand/Manufacturers name, just a mention that they are a better choice than the Bosch ones. Bosch is Made in Mexico..etc...

I'm interested in the name of the Manufacturer and hopefully some comments from current users of the " new and improved substitute "
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

Ask one of thier "Customer service representatives" to put down thier head set, get up out of thier chair and walk back to the warehouse, then take a pic of the actual box with thier personal (or the boss's) phone and Email you a fresh photo of what will actually ship to you, if they can't accomodate a simple request like that find another seller.
Brands change all the time, if a seller is on the ball asking for a current dated pic of what's actually shipping that day isn't out of line.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

Twice last year I called BD and asked them for a brand name of a part. One time they said "German" and once they said "yeeeaaahhhhhhh I don't want to do that right now."

What's wrong with the Bosch wires? Insert them into the clips before putting the clips in the tin, and enjoy a few laps around the globe per set. Keep them from touching each other and/or chafing, and they just might last forever.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

If you can track them down in the USA, BREMI are original equipment and made still in Germany. I have been very happy with their leads and have abandoned use of the Bosch equivalent long ago. In style they are faithful to the original as well.

On the BREMI packet that I bought, the German company VEWIB had applied a sticker as being the supplier, so to order you need to locate a supplier who has an account with VEWIB.

Example here:

https://www.deimosaircooled.com/bay-window/type-4-...21-998-031

VEWIB wholesale page here:

http://www.vewib.de/product_info.php?info=p7248_sparkcable-set--type-4--2-liter---vewib.html
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Ask one of thier "Customer service representatives" to put down thier head set, get up out of thier chair and walk back to the warehouse, then take a pic of the actual box with thier personal (or the boss's) phone and Email you a fresh photo of what will actually ship to you, if they can't accomodate a simple request like that find another seller.
Brands change all the time, if a seller is on the ball asking for a current dated pic of what's actually shipping that day isn't out of line.

Then ask for Ron and tell him he has an excellent training opportunity with his employees...

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

Appreciate the reply's, Ive dealt with BD since water was deemed a liquid. I did send another Email to them requesting that Fred give me the name of the Brand of plug wires they now recommend over the Bosch set.

I have a set on my 82 air cooled Westy that's going on about 7 years now and they are the Bosch 09171. While putting together a want list I noticed that the Bosch has jumped up in price, which is not really an issue with me.. but their comment about being made in Mexico and not being as good as they used to be kind of sparked my curiosity.

I like to read the comments and reviews about various parts and pieces prior to deciding on a purchase and that was my main reason for asking Fred the manufacturer of that particular set.

In the meantime...does anyone have the newer set and if so, do you have any opinions/comments, etc....
NeedAName
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

I just received a set of 021998031a plug wires from bus depot. The brand they sent me is Prenco Performance Max. Made in Canada.

I haven't installed them as I'm still waiting for my recently purchased '72 bus to arrive. They do look well made.

http://www.prenco.com/products/ignition-wire-sets/

Part # on the box is:35-77038-BD1
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

NeedAName wrote:
I just received a set of 021998031a plug wires from bus depot. The brand they sent me is Prenco Performance Max. Made in Canada.

I haven't installed them as I'm still waiting for my recently purchased '72 bus to arrive. They do look well made.

http://www.prenco.com/products/ignition-wire-sets/

Part # on the box is:35-77038-BD1

Thanks NeedAName....PM sent.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

1977 bay T4 motor. It has been awhile but the Bosch wires look purdy but tear easily and the plug connectors break when you sneeze. The other brand Bus Depot sold to me I bought a second spare set they were so nicely made. Good wire and well made connectors. If it is still the same brand then it is worth the money.

The only thing you won't like about the Ron and his BusDepot wires is that it may take you several hours to find them on their FU website. I bought mine at a time when their website worked. I just spent 10 minutes trying to find them and everything marked ignition wires etc shows something else, and the search didn't work so I gave up trying to find a link for you.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
1977 bay T4 motor. It has been awhile but the Bosch wires look purdy but tear easily and the plug connectors break when you sneeze. The other brand Bus Depot sold to me I bought a second spare set they were so nicely made. Good wire and well made connectors. If it is still the same brand then it is worth the money.

The only thing you won't like about the Ron and his BusDepot wires is that it may take you several hours to find them on their FU website. I bought mine at a time when their website worked. I just spent 10 minutes trying to find them and everything marked ignition wires etc shows something else, and the search didn't work so I gave up trying to find a link for you.

Laughing Yep, I'm not really a fan of their latest website but I do generally like Bus Depot.
I thought I was the only one who has had trouble finding something. I did what you did...I entered Spark Plug Wires...Wires...etc... Finally just went to " My Vehicle " and stumbled through the topics until I found em.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

All this sexy ignition wire talk has made me moist, so I just ordered a (frankly unneeded) set of Bremi wires for my '71 from BUS-ok.

One of my pals is going to hand-carry them over from Holland, otherwise it wouldn't really be worth it.
(In fact, I still am not sure that it is worth it, other than for the brag-worthy possibilities)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

Bosch disappoints me with their plug ends. They cheaped out and quit offering them with the spark plug seal on the end.

I hate to say it but the Autozone Duralast Gold plugs are the best I have seen as of late. No joke. The plug ends are made by Beru in Germany, and they have the spark plug seals that Bosch cheaped out on a while back. I haven't seen anything better on the market. Notice the spark plug seal on the tips which is missing in every other replacement I have seen currently on the market. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
I hate to say it but the Autozone Duralast Gold plugs are the best I have seen as of late. No joke. The plug ends are made by Beru in Germany, and they have the spark plug seals that Bosch cheaped out on a while back. I haven't seen anything better on the market. Notice the spark plug seal on the tips which is missing in every other replacement I have seen currently on the market.]

Good tip! Here they are
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Bosch disappoints me with their plug ends. They cheaped out and quit offering them with the spark plug seal on the end.

I hate to say it but the Autozone Duralast Gold plugs are the best I have seen as of late. No joke. The plug ends are made by Beru in Germany, and they have the spark plug seals that Bosch cheaped out on a while back. I haven't seen anything better on the market. Notice the spark plug seal on the tips which is missing in every other replacement I have seen currently on the market. Wink

I just got a set of these exact wires. Had seen them mentioned before here on the samba. I installed them on my 79. Nice fit and not a cheap quality about em. Nice and solid. It's winter here in Iowa and bus is stored for winter months. So haven't gotten any road use out of them yet. I'll report back in March.

Here are the Duralast Gold I got for my 79 Westy. Part # is E801229 Identical to the above pictures that Vanapplebomb posted.

http://m.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-routine...?location=
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

Stopped by the Auto Zone to have a look see at the Plug Wires. They don't stock them in the store, only special order. OK I say, can you order them for me...sales lady says OK you have to pay ahead of time. I don't carry Carry Credit cards and only have $20.00 cash on me, not enough to buy them right then and there.

So I ask to see what the wires look like that fit another vehicle.I brought along a set of older Bosch wires to compare. They look to be well made, much beefier than the Bosch and that rubber protective doughnut at the end look like the bees knees.

So I get home to place an order online and come to find out that they offer up free shipping and a $ 7.00 coupon code. Total with tax was $36.88.

Looking forward to doing a complete tune up next week plugs/wires/cap/rotor/oil filter/air filter. Should be good for awhile.

Much obliged for those photos and the heads up on the Auto Zone wires. Safe travels to all.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

i have absolutely no love for those extra seals on the tips...past experience has seen them dry out and get brittle....when you pull off the wire, the extra seal piece can stay stuck to the plug, and now you cant get the plug socket on...thats why most other brands stopped using them....probably good if you drive your baja bug through rivers, but otherwise pretty useless
johnanddes
Satellite Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

Apparently these wires are supplied to most of the FLAPS. NAPAs house brand plug wires are the exact same for 36.99.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BEL700176

1969 documented numbers matching bug
1968 F250

Keepin the ISS from colliding with space junk
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Twice last year I called BD and asked them for a brand name of a part. One time they said "German" and once they said "yeeeaaahhhhhhh I don't want to do that right now."

What's wrong with the Bosch wires? Insert them into the clips before putting the clips in the tin, and enjoy a few laps around the globe per set. Keep them from touching each other and/or chafing, and they just might last forever.

Robbie

Pushing 40.000 miles on my Bosch plug wires. installed when the engine was rebuilt. No problems no defects no issues what so ever. I'll keep em. And most likely buy another set. But I may not need to at this rate.

Just an observation here. In my 40 odd years of messing with VW's I have never come across a plug wire set that had those little cover boots on them like that. Is it a Euro thing or what?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: