Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help !
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

hi guys and girls !

a brief intro

bought myself a 1966 ruby red swedish euro bug, nice survivor and 1 owner since new, the car drives, brakes etc

the things that don't work : horn, wipers, turnsignals , and the ignition key starter switch was altered.

i think the reason the p.o put a switch next to the ignition key was a faulty or broken fusebox,on the left side there is only 1 prong left ?

so i bought myself a repop fusebox correct for a 66... came home and saw that it was a bit different, also 8 fuses but different prong ? setup

i connected everything almost the same, but i am definetly missing something here ( i am not an electric talent )

for now the car starts again with the og key, so my first succes ! no more strange switch needed, however, when i hook up my 6v battery, rightaway the rightside light front and rear come on, so there must be something wrong allready,

also no turnsignals, however they worked briefly
and no wipers.... i think the turnsignals stopped working after i tried the wiperswitch....

i also have a 3 prong wipermotor and a later switch i believe,
wired this as i found on a nice diagram here on the samba !

however no go, i will benchtest the wipermotor tomorrow ( its dark and cold now)

i made some pictures of the old and new fusebox...
can i make the new fusebox work ? or do i need to search an old used one?

if anybody can spot my mistakes, please say so ! i am both lefthanded when it comes to electricity .... i have the books, the printed wiring diagrams and so on, but still i can't seem to connect the dots..

i am however glad i can start my car again with the key, its a step in the right direction Smile

here are some pictures of the new and old fusebox and the wiring

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

I found that for some reason the new fuse panels that are being sold through even such places as Wolfsburg West aren't correct out of the box. For some reason, they appear to be set up for a T2. Note the differences between your two panels where the double terminals are? You need to pull the pins on the new panel and rearrange them to be how the old one is.

See:

“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

Make sure you are using the correct wiring diagram. This is the correct diagram for the Euro `66:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_66.jpg
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

Move the doubles over like Sharp64 suggests.
When you are ready to reconnect your wires, turn your printed wiring diagram upside down. That should orient the diagram with your car wiring.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

I see you have yellow and white wired connected to tabs that are merged on the other side of the fuse. This is mixing your low and high beam headlights.

Unfortunately, there are wiring diagrams on the web that have this same error! Even the Samba diagram linked above has a funky dotted X at this point in the diagram, perhaps indicating that it was fixed. Ignore the dotted lines.

I have also read (search for threads here) of replacement fuseboxes being set up differently.

Odd that the ignition is working again... those steering lock switches often had wearout issues. This is a case where the "hard start relay" may be warranted. Search on that for discussion of this issue, after you get the wiring set right.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

The reason his yellow and white wires are mixed is because the fuse panel is set up incorrectly as I pointed out. I ran into the exact same problem about a year ago.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
joghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

thanks ! i wil do it asap, i can just pul them out and put them back in...
wil keep u posted !
joghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

ooh yes ! that is the info i need !

so here we go :

i altered the new fusebox, was not as easy as i tought it would be, those things are soldered in, but i got it, was worried that i was going to break the plastic, but i did it and it looks ok to me

then it went back in the car, almost followed the exact wiring as it was, checked some diagrams and on to a test

car starts perfect !
both lights ,city and driving work perfectly, after i connected my left headlight in the correct way)

and my turnsignals work perfect !!!!!

now on to the horn and wipers, i left the switch alone, could be bad wiring or bad ground, ill check that now,

i'll keep you posted ! thanks again !

here is a picture of the fusebox now, if you spot something, feel free to join in !
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

The tabs aren't soldered into the plastic, they are pressfit. I did find after changing them around that some of the tabs may be a little looser in the panel. I would strongly suggest soldering the tabs together within the slots. I'll try to find the picture that is usually given for this procedure.

Read below:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=425855&highlight=fuse+box+soldering
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

I will also say that your connectors are pretty badly tarnished. Use some sand paper or a jewelers file to get into the connectors and clean them up. Have also heard of people using a dremel with a wire wheel. Consider losing the cheap crimp on connectors and invest in OG style open barrel connectors and the proper tool to recrimp them. Also use dielectric grease on the fittings to keep out air and stave off oxidation.
joghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

no worries, i did solder them back together ! just like new

now i wasted a whole day making the horn to work, no progress ...

i ran a new wire trough the steering shaft, a new wire from my shafts to the horn, cleaned al connections, adjusted the steering wheel, with the screws, springs and grommets..... nothing...

even a new wire from the fusebox to the horn and again nothing

i tested the horn separatly and made shore it worked ...

what the hell can be this cause

the wire trough the steering column stops at the connection on the steeing coupler rubber right ? and the one on the steering shaft tube goes directly to 1 connection on the horn ?

i am lost in an electric highway to hell Smile
joghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

also removed the wiper motor/assembly for some testing outside the car, could not really find an how to for my 66 6v connections as to what and where to connect , however manually i can rotate the assembly with some force...
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

For your horn, try this web site:
http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqhorn.htm
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

Quote:
manually i can rotate the assembly with some force...

I would think that needing a good bit of force to rotate the wiper assembly would be normal. It should be designed to be geared low when the motor is doing the turning.
I would think that at least two of the terminals on the wiper are positive. One to provide current to the motor whenever the wiper switch is on. Another to provide current to the motor when the wiper switch is turned off - only until the wiper blades get to the point where they should park.
joghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

mmm, after som more reading i think i know what i am missing, my ground wire stops at the rubber steering coupler, and i am not shure if my steeringbox is grounded ..... this could be it !!
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

Your steering box is grounded by being bolted to the chassis. Have you checked the wires to the horn with your voltmeter ?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

Another succes! We have wipers! Slow, but i think correct for a 66? Cleanen everything and added an extra ground cable !
joghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

On to the horn. I did notice that the steering box is a rebuild and covered in silver paint... Could this be a problem... What and where can i measure my volts ? The two connections to the horn? It needa ti be around 6v when someone holds the horn?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

There are several threads here regarding thoroughly cleaning connections and the ground strap attached to the transaxle. Also getting rid of crimp connections and soldering connections helps.
joghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 euro fusebox wiring hell , need some help ! Reply with quote

damned, i am out of luck, last night i started the car, wanted to test everything once again, it was a little rainy...

used the wiper switch, wipers dont work anymore........... and the turnsignal light in my speedometer goes on, so no more turning lights.... after i tried to use the wipers

back to phase 1 ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: