Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

The VanAlert app is LIVE!

I'd like to inform you about a new item I've created... It's an app specifically for Vanagon owners named VanAlert. I feel this app will change the way you travel for the better!

Download the app here:
Apple App Store
Google Play Store

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Stolen Van Alert is the main reason I chose to build the app. I often see vans stolen and wonder if there was a way to help these owners get the help from the Vanagon community in order to help keep an eye out for their stolen van. Well if a Vanagon is stolen, the owner can open the app and fill out a form including all of the information about the van as well as a few photos. I then send out a Push Notification to all app users within a certain mile radius of where the van was stolen. App users get notified, then directed to the Stolen Van page to see the Vanagon they should keep an eye out for. This alert is smart, it won't be sending out a Stolen Van Alert to app users in New Jersey about a Vanagon being stolen in California. It will only send out the alert to app users within the same state and maybe the neighboring state depending on the specifics of each case.

Being on the road requires needing to find a place to camp for the night. I often spent a lot of time looking at various resources including my phone, my atlas and my GPS navigation system to try to find a place to call home for the night. VanAlert will now replace all of the methods I previously used. All State Parks that allow camping will be populated in our database as well as other user submitted Camp Sites such as BLM Land camping and other locations.

Driveway Camp is a section that'll list all users nearest to your phone's GPS location that will allow traveling Vanagon owners a safe driveway to camp in for the night. Hosts have several amenities that they offer and when signing up you too can list the items you'd like to offer: Driveway/ Curb Space/ Shore Power/ Shower/ Laundry/ Tools. We have signup forms in the app if you'd like to include yourself as a Driveway Camp Host.

A crowdsourced database of Repair Shops that will be listed nearest to your phone's current GPS location. So no matter where a break down happens, simply open the app and see what reputable Repair Shops are nearby that other Vanagon Owners have recommended. This database relies on information provided by our members so if you have a reputable shop that you use, please share that info with the community.

In addition to the Repair Shops listing we're allowing Vanagon owners to be listed as individuals as well. This way in case there are no repair shops nearby, a traveling Vanagon owner can reach out to a local owner for help, tools and/or guidance. This community loves to share and help others and that's one of the best things that comes with owning a Vanagon. You gain a support system, a family.

There are many other features already built into the app and many more that are in the works. We're only a few days old but already have nearly 1,000 registered members and have begun to populate our database with a ton of crowdsourced information. If you're a Vanagon owner.... you NEED this app. Be sure to share the info with your Vanagon friends as the more information we get populated into the database, the better it is for the entire community. Oh and did I mention... the app is FREE!

Download the app here:
Apple App Store
Google Play Store

Like our VanAlert Facebook Page in order to keep up with the app updates and new features.

Last edited by HoustonPhotog on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:43 pm; edited 20 times in total
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Very cool! Will keep my eyes open for it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Hi, Abel:

Great idea, any chance of an iPhone version sometime?

By the way, great to meet you at Buses! Wish you'd made our Buses After Hours gig, we had 13 buses and 18 people and you were missed!

Eric

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Hi, Abel:

Great idea, any chance of an iPhone version sometime?

By the way, great to meet you at Buses! Wish you'd made our Buses After Hours gig, we had 13 buses and 18 people and you were missed!

Eric

Currently waiting on Apple Store Approval which should be in the next couple of days.

Yea I regret not being able to make the second campout but i was headed north instead. bummer.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Abel,
I tried to find it in Google play and nothing. Then I searched VA and came up with the same logo for " Vetrans Affairs", probobly not a van squad app Laughing

Would like to purchase the app when I can find it.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
Abel,
I tried to find it in Google play and nothing. Then I searched VA and came up with the same logo for " Vetrans Affairs", probobly not a van squad app Laughing

Would like to purchase the app when I can find it.

Search "VanAlert"

There's also a direct link in the first post of this thread.
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Very cool! Keeping my eye out for the iPhone version!

Thanks for doing it!
bokonon42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

This is awesome, thank you!
Can't wait for the iPhone version.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

I just got an email that Apple approved the iOs app but it may take up to a day to get propagated into the App Store. I'll let you guys know when that is but it is getting closer!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Just installed. Waiting for more users to fill up the ranks!
I'll pay to get rid of the ads.

Good looking App, but I couldn't see a "sign out" on it. So it looks as if it it running all the time? I did a "force stop" in the Application settings to turn it off.
I'm funny that way in that I like to turn things off!
Great effort, better then I could do! Definitely like the "Event Feature" for future events.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
I just got an email that Apple approved the iOs app but it may take up to a day to get propagated into the App Store. I'll let you guys know when that is but it is getting closer!

Awesome, Thanks!

— Colin Chapman
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Can you somehow link this into the Vanagon Rescue Squad site?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Can you somehow link this into the Vanagon Rescue Squad site?

or better yet integrate the Vanagon Rescue Squad member locations into the App?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:

It's up! I just downloaded it. Wink
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Downloaded! Will provide feedback if/when necessary. Thanks!
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

It's available for Apple Products now...

Search for "VanAlert"

Vanamal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Nicely done Abel - thanks!
And x3 on linking to the Rescue Squad if possible.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Got mine on iPad! SOOOO looking forward to content on this...nice! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Downloaded. How do you report a Vanagon that was reported "stolen" as "found" once it's been recovered like the current van on the app's stolen list that has been reported as found here on The Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=671318
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Just downloaded, reviewed a shop and submitted another. Great app! Thanks Cool

Not that your looking or need more content, but if so, how about a "map it" type addition - map your route to share it?

Edit: Looks/works great on my iPad

Another edit: Kudos on the background pic Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: