Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
So please someone tell me what the 'gazetteer' is...???

THIS:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LINK: http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/218819/delorme-at...An5_8P8HAQ

Handy, certainly informative, but in my experience sometimes a little unclear
on details & certainly nothing "secret"...all public information...<shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

I've added separate categories to the Camp Site section... This way you can list ALL categories together (which is default) or you can select a separate category like FREE CAMP or REST AREA etc and just display those based on distance from you. Should help users a lot depending on what you're looking for specifically.

pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
I've added separate categories to the Camp Site section... This way you can list ALL categories together (which is default) or you can select a separate category like FREE CAMP or REST AREA etc and just display those based on distance from you. ,,,]

Clicking on the 3-column graphic got me nothing functional. Can you tell me how to access the basic site you're modifying? And is it mostly Texas, or 'everywhere'? Thanks
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
HoustonPhotog wrote:
I've added separate categories to the Camp Site section... This way you can list ALL categories together (which is default) or you can select a separate category like FREE CAMP or REST AREA etc and just display those based on distance from you. ,,,]

Clicking on the 3-column graphic got me nothing functional. Can you tell me how to access the basic site you're modifying? And is it mostly Texas, or 'everywhere'? Thanks

Check the first post in this thread, direct link here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8333602#8333602

It's an app I've built... the graphic show texas sites since I live here and its based off of my phones gps location. it'll display sites close to you when you open it, there's a submission form for members to submit their own camp sites and such.

I am currently populatiing the database with all state park parks that allow camping.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

I just got a stolen van alert but can't login (my password wasn't saved in my keychain and it's taking a long time to get the reset email. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Hey Abel, thanks for finally making an app like this. I never know where the free camp sites are located.

I love the idea of the driveway camp map where others can park at your place but I'd like to see it as a broad area (multi miles) on the map and allow for the users to request or connect with the hosts via email, phone or some built in messaging platform. You see this on AirBNB. They don't usually show the exact pin drop on the map.

If any of the morons who have been stealing vans lately knew about the app it would basically be a guide to lots of van owners homes.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

dyldebus wrote:
Hey Abel, thanks for finally making an app like this. I never know where the free camp sites are located.

I love the idea of the driveway camp map where others can park at your place but I'd like to see it as a broad area (multi miles) on the map and allow for the users to request or connect with the hosts via email, phone or some built in messaging platform. You see this on AirBNB. They don't usually show the exact pin drop on the map.

If any of the morons who have been stealing vans lately knew about the app it would basically be a guide to lots of van owners homes.

You're in luck! The app does that already!

The default view for the Driveway Camp Hosts is in a list view. If you're currently seeing a map, click the 3 line icon on the upper right and you'll see the results in a lost format listed in distance from your current location.

Once you click a listed host. Their page will display with amenities they offer, contact email and/or phone number for you to contact them by

I have to have some sort of location reference so I ask Hosts for their zip code only. It's a broad nonspecific way to locate them and still keep their exact location private. Once you contact them and see that they're available then at that time they'll share their specific address with you.

Lemme know if you have any other questions
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
I just got a stolen van alert but can't login (my password wasn't saved in my keychain and it's taking a long time to get the reset email. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Resolved.
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
dyldebus wrote:

You're in luck! The app does that already!

The default view for the Driveway Camp Hosts is in a list view. If you're currently seeing a map, click the 3 line icon on the upper right and you'll see the results in a lost format listed in distance from your current location.

Once you click a listed host. Their page will display with amenities they offer, contact email and/or phone number for you to contact them by

I have to have some sort of location reference so I ask Hosts for their zip code only. It's a broad nonspecific way to locate them and still keep their exact location private. Once you contact them and see that they're available then at that time they'll share their specific address with you.

Lemme know if you have any other questions

Oh perfect. That's great news. I didn't try setting up my place yet since I could zoom all the way down to the pin which I though was specific to an address.

I'll add myself. Thanks!
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Has anyone seen this ad?

Looks like the seattle snatcher struck again

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6000876788.html
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
Has anyone seen this ad?

Yea we sent the alert out yesterday to users in the area.. Hope it's recovered soon
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

I like this app, just got the notification that the '85 white van stolen in seattle was recovered...hope its not beat up too badly.

HoustonPhotog wrote:
Tobias Duncan wrote:
Has anyone seen this ad?

Yea we sent the alert out yesterday to users in the area.. Hope it's recovered soon

HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Update:

We've been given permission to absorb and include the Vanagon Rescue Squad database of users into our app. Yet another cool feature our app will offer.

I'm emailing all 1,300 rescue squad members in order to get their permission to move them over and to verify that their information is correct.

I've contacted 110 people so far and 40 have already been confirmed and added to our app.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

I used the Driveway Camp feature for the first time yesterday while on my road trip through Georgia.... Worked great!

If you're a member of the app and have some spare driveway or curb space I highly recommend signing up to be a host. You'll meet some like minded people along the way!

HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Wow... The app has really taken off! Thanks a ton guys for joining and submitting spots to our app, and don't forget to help spread the word! We've sent out 5 Stolen Van Alerts as of today and 4 of which have been recovered. The most recent Vanagon stolen this week has yet to be recovered. Crossing our fingers that changes soon!

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Abel,

Just wondering how far along the addition of the Rescue Squad volunteers has progressed? Awesome app! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Abel,

Just wondering how far along the addition of the Rescue Squad volunteers has progressed? Awesome app! Very Happy

Still a long way to go... I've sent out emails to about 250 of the 1,300 listed Rescue Squad List members. Probably about 90 emails have not replied confirming their contact information is correct.

I still have a long way to go to work through the list but hope it'll be completed by the end of April. I do plan to go back and send a second email to those addresses that did not reply in the first pass. As a last ditch effort to get them on board. If I hear nothing from them on the second pass then they won't be added. I could always send them a text as the second pass in case they no longer check or use that email address they have listed.

I just don't want to dump the entire list into our database not knowing if people's information is correct... So many have had locations and phone numbers change since they signed up on the original Vanagon Rescue Squad.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:

I just don't want to dump the entire list into our database not knowing if people's information is correct... So many have had locations and phone numbers change since they signed up on the original Vanagon Rescue Squad.

Good idea! I was very disappointed the one time I needed help to find that many of the phone numbers were no longer in service.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

Nice work Abel. Very Happy

I signed up for the Rescue Squad again to make sure it is updated.

See you on the road somewhere again I hope.

Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
takeiteasy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Reply with quote

thumbs up abel!

"With your past and your future precisely divided.
Am I at that moment? I haven't decided."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: