Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Always slightly controversial: *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK*
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

just used my AAA account i bought for my cross country trip in the Westy to extract my 3/4 ton pickup i high centered in snow while plowing my driveway. i tried shoveling out, nada. my strapping son offered to shovel further but i said i'll just call a wrecker. i'll be durned if their winch didn't strain a bit pulling me back. it was good call to call them in as i'd still be trying to dig it out.

sometimes it's good to know when to fold.....

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

I hear you. Snow is tricky as you'll often settle a warm frame down onto the snow as the tires dig holes, then settle further until the frame is mashing down hard. Once that happens, digging snow from behind the tires often means you move the vehicle a foot but then the tires settle further down and let the frame press down harder on the snow. The warm frame melts a perfect super-grippy pattern of the bottom of your car into the snow, it cools into ice and you call the wrecker.

BTW this is why Max Trax excel. When you get onto them, they're ramping the tires up and lifting the frame off the sand or snow. Highly recommended but there are some less pricey versions available now that test well for the casual user.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

Great advice here! Lots of patience and a calm, thoughtful approach are also really useful when you're stuck. Most often there's no big hurry to move so I try not to make a bad situation worse and I consider a tow as a somewhat-risky, last-resort option. I've gotten stuck quite a few times and I've almost always been able to drive out with some digging, some strategically placed rocks, logs, etc... A good shovel and a small hatchet are great to have on hand in addition to your tow gear.

-Bill
'89 Syncro
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

1 wheel drive, always cracks me up. WHO THOUGHT OF THAT? Them r smart!

Still gotta get myself a real diff to convert mine to a 2 wheel drive. I could get stuck on flat turf with a little dew as it is right now.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
I could get stuck on flat turf with a little dew as it is right now.

Yup same here.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:

Yup same here.

Peloquin and Bob's your uncle....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

Peloquin and Bob's your uncle....

I dream of Peloquins .. seriously .. I've got a spare functional January '90 4 speed manual I think would be a good candidate for a rebuild. Actually, I have not yet tried installing it in a Vanagon, but it did the right things with relative ease when I gave it the shifting tests, and twisting the input shaft to see the cv flanges do everything I expected. Possible I should put it in one of my spare Vanagons and try it before I send it off. I have not seen any updated info on how early the updated 3/4 slider was included in the original builds, the GW article mentions March of '90 .. Anyone seen the newer slider in an earlier gearbox?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

wx0m wrote:
A very interesting video and discussion thread!

One aspect of the extraction that wasn't discussed is the attachment to the front of the stuck vehicle. It looks like they just attached the tow strap to the front tow hook. My question is, how strong is the front tow hook on the Vanagon? Is it really strong enough to use for a yank-strap recovery? If not, what other front attachments would be appropriate?

The front tow strap on 2 of my syncros were broken when I got them.
I have a pair of maxtrax that have proven themselves. There is a video floating around of me self recovering on the beach with the van subframe on the sand.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

Two strong attachment points here, plus some cribbing under front bumper to protect cable/strap.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708045

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

I used a log chain on my 83.5. It had sunk down to its axles in the yard where it had been sitting for 18 odd years. I yanked it a few times with my Highlander before thinking up the part where you check if it was in gear first or not... Well, after that, I pulled it hard again repeatedly and it came up, and out. The stock tow loop was not damaged in any way. I was amazed that it had not torn off and flown through my rear hatch. I was actually expecting it to. I had taken several precautions for that possibility. I did mess up the yard quit a bit, but that didn't seem to bother the owner of the property. Getting it gone was their only wish.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

since we're on the topic,
here's a great stuck to unstuck thread from IdahoDoug..
I'd quote it in here, but it's alot of writing/reading.. let Doug do that if he cares to share.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705943
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wx0m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

FWIW, the front tow loop is available from ECS Tuning, Mfg Part# 251807401, ECS Part# ES#327414

So far, I've seen posts reporting that the single front tow loop is strong enough for extractions, and others that report having broken loops. I'm hoping that splitting the load between two of these loops will suffice.
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

Also from Brickwerks in the UK here.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:

Yup same here.

Yep - BTDT, on otherwise adequate tires...(Hankooks). Who knew a guy could get stuck...on GRASS...??? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Rolling Eyes Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:

Yup same here.

Yep - BTDT, on otherwise adequate tires...(Hankooks). Who knew a guy could get stuck...on GRASS...??? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Rolling Eyes Wink

- Dave

BTW, Hankooks are fine on dry pavement. On wet grass they are totally helpless. BTDT. Rolling Eyes

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
rfoubi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

If anyone needs another reminder to not use the tow ball for recoveries

Link

Apologies in advance if you start getting hooked on Ronny's content and spend hours watching turbo diesel v8 landcruisers driving around Australia!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

After reading this thread, just put together a full CamperVan-type kit on Amazon for about $75...$$$ well spent.

- Dave

westydriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
After reading this thread, just put together a full CamperVan-type kit on Amazon for about $75...$$$ well spent.

- Dave

Not being snoopy but would love to see your shopping list Laughing
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

westydriver wrote:
dhaavers wrote:

- Dave

Not being snoopy but would love to see your shopping list Laughing

2nd.

Or a group buy to cut down on shipping if Cvc can get them back in stock soon
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Always slightly conterversial *GET YOUR VANAGON UNSTUCK* Reply with quote

^^^ FWIW, Jed's full kit is listed right there on his product page...looks like good stuff!

https://campervanculture.com/shop/full-vehicle-recovery-kit/

Quote:
1 x Black 4m 5 ton tow strap
1 x Red 4m 5 ton tow strap
2 x Purple 2m 1 ton safety straps
2 x 4.75 ton Shackles
1 x 3.25 ton Shackle
1 x 2 ton Shackle
1 x Dry bag
1 x Safety Gloves

- Dave

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: