Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clogged heat riser
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
prom8n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Clogged heat riser Reply with quote

Second time I ran across a clogged heat riser. Tried the penetrating oil soak, no luck. Used some 1/4" braided cable and tried to ream it out, lots of black gunk but couldn't get very far. Drilled a small hole on the back side of the curve and started reaming it out with a sharpened piece of 3/16" wire.

Took some time and effort, but knocked a hole in it, and then started getting chunks out. Flushed it out with cleaning solvent and the air hose, nasty mess but got most of the crap out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Should be able to weld the hole shut, grind it smooth. Problem (hopefully) solved.

Paul R.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser Reply with quote

Good solution thanks for the tip.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser Reply with quote

I would just tap and plug it in case you need to clean it again.

If you have access to and Oxy/Act torch you can go that route as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmijKUCBtO8
prom8n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
I would just tap and plug it in case you need to clean it again.

If you have access to and Oxy/Act torch you can go that route as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmijKUCBtO8

I thought about a tapped plug, difficult because of the acute angle and the main manifold tube being in the way. Had to drill the small starter hole at a right angle to the riser tube and then enlarge it with a reamer bit in a Dremel.

Nevertheless, it would be a good option in case I needed to do this again. We'll see.

Thanks for the input!
Paul R.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser Reply with quote

prom8n wrote:

Nevertheless, it would be a good option in case I needed to do this again. We'll see.

Thanks for the input!
Paul R.

Could you fit a band clamp on there and use a dab of JB Weld to seal it? Whatever you do, you don't want exhaust gases leaking into the engine compartment.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser Reply with quote

From what I've read on cleaning these, the drilled hole was a nice improvement!

I know this is going to sound dumb but how would you know if the thing was clogged?
would it be cool (or cooler than normal) to the touch?

Right now mine gets hot as crap and from reading a bit on Rob and Dave's web page, it sounds like I need to put washers in mine to limit the heat from the exhaust.

I think Wildthings talked about trying to cool the carb for hot starts a while back and it got me wondering if heat riser "washers' would be my fix.

I know from driving, if I turn off the engine and try to restart it within a hour or so I HAVE to "floor it" aka do a hot start to get it going again.

Well, the wrong size washer for the heat riser (or missing washers) can be the cause of a "too hot" heat riser tube from what I understand.

Just curious if anyones done this, I have not yet....

I'm planning on doing some work on the THING very soon (Crank nut install) and I'd have some of the tin out anyways, wondered if I could check/install some washers to cool the carb a bit.

On that note, I'm not even sure where I'd order some, but I'll look around.

Congrads on the fix!

any suggestions anyone post away!

Thanks guys!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:
From what I've read on cleaning these, the drilled hole was a nice improvement!

I know this is going to sound dumb but how would you know if the thing was clogged?
would it be cool (or cooler than normal) to the touch?

Right now mine gets hot as crap and from reading a bit on Rob and Dave's web page, it sounds like I need to put washers in mine to limit the heat from the exhaust.

I think Wildthings talked about trying to cool the carb for hot starts a while back and it got me wondering if heat riser "washers' would be my fix.

I know from driving, if I turn off the engine and try to restart it within a hour or so I HAVE to "floor it" aka do a hot start to get it going again.

Well, the wrong size washer for the heat riser (or missing washers) can be the cause of a "too hot" heat riser tube from what I understand.

Just curious if anyones done this, I have not yet....

I'm planning on doing some work on the THING very soon (Crank nut install) and I'd have some of the tin out anyways, wondered if I could check/install some washers to cool the carb a bit.

On that note, I'm not even sure where I'd order some, but I'll look around.

Congrads on the fix!

any suggestions anyone post away!

Thanks guys!

T

If you have a Thing intake manifold and a bug exhaust you will certainly be getting too much heat. They used to sell heat riser gaskets with a smaller hole in them to cut down on the amount of heat, adding a washer would have the same effect. Maybe try a #10 SS fender washer and see how close that comes to giving you the amount of heat you want. Placing a phenolic gasket between the manifold and carb might work as well.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser Reply with quote

Hey Wildthings,

As far as I know I've got the right heat riser and the 73 THING style exhaust.
and it gets fingerprint removal hot as far as heat.

Do they not make the heat riser gaskets anymore? I've not seen them but ill keep looking. Just curious right now, as I've not tore into the tin removal yet.

Thanks for the suggestion on the #10 SS fender washer too!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser Reply with quote

I can't say that they don't make the gasket with the smaller hole anymore, but just that I haven't seen one in a long time. Not much of a Type 1 guy though.
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser Reply with quote

I went to the hardware store to get some lacquer thinner to break up the carbon. While there a retired master mechanic suggested PB Blaster, instead. I spayed the tube full of PB Blaster, let it sit overnight. The next day I hit it with a 3/16 sailboat shroud cable. In less than three minutes, it had broken loose. Just FYI.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: