Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

I like the look of your truck. I had a 11 window sea blue standard, i used old sea blue doors and drop pieces to fix rust holes. So it was all original paint, but it had panels welded all over it. I was so sick of doing rust repair by the time I got it running correctly, I just left the welds alone. You could see all my welds right in your face. Back then I had a lincoln 110v welder and it did not leave the nicest looking welds lol. But i loved that bus to pieces. To me it doesnt matter if theres holes in the floors or totally restored, i get the same amount of pleasure driving it. In short, your turn signal housings look good to me! Cool

I buy cip1 sometimes, mostly their bus metal because its cheap and free shipping. Their not known for quality. Honestly I would just pick up a alternator stand and buy your alt from Advance or Auto Zone. They have a lifetime guarantee which is alot easier to deal with if it goes bad. Which they can and do. But if that happens you dont have to deal with shipping the core back and waiting for a new one. I installed them on a handful of buses and once needed a replacement. They got it hub transfered in a few hours for me. You’ll also need a alternator pulley. The offset is different then a generator one. It should be cheaper going that route as well. My local vw buggy place sells those stands for $8 and the pully for $8. Its $80 iirc for the alt at autozone. I believe its a 55amp.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Looking at the Alternator kit from Cip1, it looks like a base kit, delivering 55 amps so I think it is better option than going with another generator and regulator, but the output is alittle on the low side (most gen are 30amp). Fine if you run minimal amount of accessories, its fine but if you plan for more than I would look at a better kit. Out of necessity I went with a baseline autozone kit and its fine but alittle capacity would give me more room for growth in the future. Fog lights, aux oil cooler fans, aux heater, ETC...you never know
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

To follow up with the charging woes, I have a friend who is going to let me borrow a known good 12v generator to see if I can get my system charging correctly. Having friends in the community sure makes life much easier when you come across hiccups.

On another subject, I finally bought some OG headlight assemblies, and these things are EARLY. I'll get some pictures of them up in the next day or so, working these overnight shifts doesn't leave me much daylight for tinkering on the truck.

What I'm really excited about is this!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's right, them there be gates!!!
Now in this next picture you will see some character of these gates, really I'm scared to show you fellas the shape of them in the daylight. They are going to take a miracle to fix up, but perhaps they'll help hold a box or two in the back and give me something to practice fabrication with the welder.
Gulp...

These are some of the crunchiest gates I've ever seen, I've been watching Mustie's videos on gate repair but I grew green with envy with all the metal he had to work with along the bottom channels. Really these gates aren't too bad, they're just roached 2" down... I need a stint of creativity, some metal, and a bender.
Or maybe some deeper pockets lol

Anyway, I cannot express how delighted I am with acquiring some gates, it just makes my heart happy seeing the truck with the correct items. Even if they are pieces of tetanus. Cool

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Wow Shocked Haven't seen this thread for a bit. You've swung this turd so far back to normal it has a new lease on life.

Good job brother, keep it up.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Congrats on the gates. I'm a Mustie1 fan too. He may not always do metal repair the "correct" way but he is a great craftsman.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Nice gates! That truck keeps getting better and better
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Making good progress!!
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, gents.
Here are some daylight, more detailed photos of the gates and their conditions:

As you can see, there’s some good crunchiness along the bottom channels. Of course, they’ll also been hit with the infamous red oxide primer.

Here the outside skins have been hit with black spray paint:

Apparently someone didn’t find the love of Dove Blue in the early 80’s, because as you can see below, there is still some nice color left on the tail gate.

Again, the lighting sucks, but it’s what you get when working in the winter under a carport. Here you can see a little bit better color, this is using oven cleaner and steel wool almost 3 hours later:

Here are the headlight assemblies I picked up for the single, I now officially have working parking, headlight, and high beams. Love the old school VW logo on the lenses.
These have been stored in a cabinet in the shop for almost 30 years:

I tried looking up the part number but wasn’t able to pinpoint whether these are correct bus headlights or rather beetle assemblies. Anyone able to date this set with the VW logo/Hella pairing?

Tomorrow will consist of some more paint removal on the side gates, and general assessments of the bottoms.
I was able to get all but one(it was missing) of the hinges working/pivoting, so that was cool. I’ll also try to weld a bolt to and remove the old drill off screws in the truck to make way of anchoring the hinges back in place.

Reduction box seals and gaskets should be in Monday. It’s always something.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

I can tell the top headlight definitely is bus because busses have the tiny drain hole on the chrome ring. Little weep hole allows the water to drain out. Bug headlights do not have it as they sit upright.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

The 211-941-037A is a bus part number for the compete DS headlight assembly. Also, it helps that it also says "links" or "left" in German. The 46N should indicate the Week Year of production, so 46th week of 55, which makes it an early '56. Here is my favorite link for date codes, which has further links, info, etc: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279505

The drain hole in the bezel is helpful, but I've had bus headlights where the bezel got changed out fpr a non-drain beetle one and vice versa.

Gates look great up top, man. The bottom should be too difficult, albeit time-consuming. You're like me and my project '59 SC: our time is free haha!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

^^^Cool info about the date codes! ^^^

The Dove Blue on that rear gate looks amazing! Shocked Keep it up!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Extremely neat info Dokaguy, thanks for sharing some knowledge. I knew those assemblies looked old.

As for the gates, I gave a couple hundred for them, and for the joy they bring me, I’m tickled to death to be a proud owner of rustiness. The bottoms are going to need some serious repair, I’m just hoping I’ll be able to make a decent effort to get them to function well, and fortunately find some metal to weld to, as I always say, time will tell.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

At this point I've scrubbed a good amount of spray paint off the gates and have the half-way installed onto the single. The gates are still roached along the bottoms, I haven't taken any welding to them just yet, I have seen a few times folks mentioning shared tips and info on gate repair?
Does anyone have this information linked anywhere?

(This is being shared to make my finger tips feel appreciated)
Stripping paint suckkksss

BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
At this point I've scrubbed a good amount of spray paint off the gates and have the half-way installed onto the single. The gates are still roached along the bottoms, I haven't taken any welding to them just yet, I have seen a few times folks mentioning shared tips and info on gate repair?

Even rusty bottoms, they look AWESOME!!! Finding a rust free set is difficult and expensive. Finding a rough set and getting them cheap and fixing them yourself is way more rewarding. Its more to talk about when people wanna see your bus Cool I stripped a 1961 Mango Standard from school bus yellow back to its mango paint. I also used oven cleaner. My elbows, forearms and hands were so freaking sore. Totally worth the effort!! I bet ya had big smile and took a step back and looked at that OG paint and said “hell yeah!”
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Hey, Pal. A friend of mine has a 57 SC rotting in his back yard. The gates are removed and laying in the bed. The truck is very very rusty with the nose cut off and most of the frame rotted. Im not sure the condition of the gates. Most likely rusty, but ill take a look, if theres usable metal to fix yours, im sure I can get them for free. This is the only pic I have of the truck, i took it last year. I had to rip it off my instagram. But you can see the gates sitting in the back.

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Oh my god that trucks treasure chest door is rotted through the side!!!

Cool pic
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Loving the look of the gates! Keep it up!

SamboSamba22 wrote:

Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

BusJunky wrote:
Hey, Pal. A friend of mine has a 57 SC rotting in his back yard. The gates are removed and laying in the bed. The truck is very very rusty with the nose cut off and most of the frame rotted. Im not sure the condition of the gates. Most likely rusty, but ill take a look, if theres usable metal to fix yours, im sure I can get them for free. This is the only pic I have of the truck, i took it last year. I had to rip it off my instagram. But you can see the gates sitting in the back.

It's funny, seeing the condition of this single cab and thinking to myself: It can be fixed. (It does look like it needs some replacement sheet metal)
SamboSamba22,
I believe KF makes that lower piece for the gates.
I checked the website and think this is it:
https://www.klassicfab.com/product/kf856-single-cab-side-gate-lower-repair-channel/
If these are the gate bottoms, $85 seems cheap compared to the time it would take to fabricate something close. Either way, you'll get it done. The truck is looking good. Keep on truckin.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

I couldn't find the link, although I've seen one before (perhaps on Kurt's SC restoration). The good thing is most of the bottom portions are simple broke straight pieces. Again, I'll be facing those down the road - I should probably start a build thread on of these days - and with a little time and effort you could repair your gates.

In cleaning up the gates on my DC, the bottoms were is pretty god condition, but I took a precautionary step and coated the inside with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, a very messy job, if you don't tape [ALL] seams and holes. That might help prolong the life of the gates and future rust at the bottoms, where water collects, sits, and suppose to drain, were it not for debris build up, etc.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

At this point it looks like a driver. be sure to do that and post a video.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 30

Jump to: