Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: 7 Year Wait Reply with quote

Build title is probably wrong as it all started 13 year ago when I bought this site unseen. Looked straight and thought it would be an easy project then I had it bead blasted.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Things I found were not great.. not major issues also but I knew it was not going to be cheap.

So the work began.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: 7 Year Wait Reply with quote

Decided to go with a smooth early looking dash by removing the dash pad. Was not aware that it was so badly shaped under the pad so we had to reshape the dash line over the instrument section as you can see.

Jumping to today this is result.

Also had to decide what to do with the headlights and I made the tuff call to go with Porsche 356 headlights. I know it may not be everyones taste but I'm building this fo my enjoyment as I want it to look.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

Looking great! I was pondering Porsche headlights too... Not just for the look, but because there is not a single KG headlight bucket in the stores world wide. But, I broke down and bought a $180 bucket off eBay from a guys taking advantage of the situation. Do I blame him? No. Do I swear to him? Oh yes.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

I love what you did under the dash for the gauges. Did you hand form this piece or did you use part of an early Beetle dash?

brad
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

There aren't many improvements one can make to the classic Ghia lines designed by Mr Ghia, but your 356 headlights is one of them, maybe the only one. Complimented by Porsche 993 wheels, if I'm not mistaken.

Well done.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
There aren't many improvements one can make to the classic Ghia lines designed by Mr Ghia, but your 356 headlights is one of them, maybe the only one. Complimented by Porsche 993 wheels, if I'm not mistaken.

Well done.

I agree that the lines of those headlights flow etremely well with the shape of the Karmann Ghia's front fenders - I like the look very much.

However, I'm guessing that those wheels are actually from a 986/987 Boxster rather than a 993.

I can hardly wait to see the whole project completed!
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
there is not a single KG headlight bucket in the stores world wide.

They're showing in stock on CIP's website...
http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?search=TAB-404-211&Submit=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-141-809-145

I wish. Would have saved me some money. Oh well.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

What is the hole on the dash above the radio for?
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

Great to see another Aussie car getting close to being back on the road.

I'm up in Brisbane, should have my '63 going in a month or so after a 2+ year Resto and over 12 years in hibernation before that!
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

Hi Brad,
Yes I started with a dash section from a 54 Oval and that was grafted onto dash. It looked good but the panel shop thought I only wanted to fit in a radio so they did not allow enough room for gauges so it was removed and reworked again.
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

The final choice of wheels took 5 years, I firstly got a set of Radar Wheels 17" but didn't like the look . I then purchased a cheap set of twist wheels which you see it rolling on in the photos.

This was an interesting exercise as I found that with the Mendeola front end you could fit 17x 9" rims and still have clearance, problem was you had one direction you could go.. straight. On the rear I have converted to IRS and fitted Herbert 2" narrowed trailing arms and all the performance mods

I was surprised to find I could fit the twist 7.5" wheels .
There was a lot of internal clearance but was touching inner guard. I then purchased a set of 3 piece Turbo twist wheels 17x11' & 17x9" as after two years of looking around the world I was getting desperate.

Now the fun began. I started thinking I could use the original lips or possibly the rear barrels but it just didn't work so ordered all new parts. I will now run 17 x 7.5" on front and 17x8' on rear.

Did final assembly of the wheels yesterday and very happy with result. The final touch will be the centre caps which will be the VW crest laser cut.

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

Hey Allan,
I was dropping off my car at Chris's shop in Helensburgh today and saw your car up on the stands. Also saw the chassis with all that Mendeola hardware on it. Its the same chassis that spent lots of time at Boris' last year, right?
I didn't realise the two were linked to the same project. I'm not into that level of customisation nonetheless what you're doing is looking good. The Mercedes colour is a good choice. The interior paint is pretty good looking.

Chris was telling me about all the rework he's had to do on work done poorly by others. That rear quarter seems like it was a real headache.. Now that Chris is on the job you can be assured it will come out looking fantastic.....but not as fantastic looking as mine Very Happy Very Happy

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

alansvwTwinCab wrote:
Hi Brad,
Yes I started with a dash section from a 54 Oval and that was grafted onto dash. It looked good but the panel shop thought I only wanted to fit in a radio so they did not allow enough room for gauges so it was removed and reworked again.

That's very funny because I also have a dash section out of a 54 I scrapped and held it up to see what it would look like with the center of the dash grafted into the Ghia dash including the lower section to put gauges in. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

brad
briggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

What a Beutiful Ride doing the same

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20057255/

Anyone ever use an 8" stainless bowl. That is what the custom guys do. And what I was about to do until I found a bucket at a decent price.
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

I actually found that the Porsche 356 buckets were cheaper than VW buckets (In Australia at least) so that's what I used and as I was using the 356 headlights it made perfect sense. Only issue we had was they did not have a drain hole which we added.
craigolio1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

When you say bucket, do you mean the fender section or the inside bucket that holds the bulb etc?

Where did you get the 356 parts?

Also I Googled and couldn't find the Hibert narrowed trailing arms, and I see some nice looking adjustable spring plates there. Would you mind listing what your suspension parts are for the rear end, and the source?

Very nice work.

Craig

Link to my build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637602

Located in the Toronto area.
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant to say Herbert Performance http://herbertperformanceco.com/

Eric was great to deal with and his parts are just a work of art. My mechanic who has been building performance VW engines and cars for 40 years could not tell they were narrowed and he ordered a set.
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

I just purchased the 356 Headlight Bucket from our local (in Sydney) Porsche dealership . Here is a little of what goes into making them fit.

I don't have those skills so rely on others but its a time and money consuming path, yes I can always go back to original and I have kept some original style headlight buckets just in case I ever needed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: