Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

no longer needed - Driveway / stealth in S CA/LA
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: no longer needed - Driveway / stealth in S CA/LA Reply with quote

Driveway / stealth in S CA near Marina del Ray/Culver City in the Los Angeles area

Looking for a driveway or stealth camp near Culver City / Marian Del Rey California for this coming weekend 2/3-5/17. In the vicinity of the Target near 405/Marine Hwy (90) - https://goo.gl/maps/dboWGZd2uM22

Will be attending a class that goes 9am-10pm Fri - Sun so just need a place to sleep. Access to a bathroom would be nice, access to a shower would be bonus but a place to park is all we need.

Also looking for cool places to take the Westy to camp/hike/surf (beginner)/discover as we’ll be in S CA for over a week 2/1-9/17. Specifically the connections I’d appreciate are hiking suggestions, surfing lessons, spearfishing, sailing (did a 700nm mile trip last year mostly solo), and anything else that is cool and outdoorsy. The general area we'll be exploring is:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Email/PM/call if you have a secret spot you don’t want to post. [email protected] 505-304-5306

Thanks!

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make

Last edited by vanis13 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Driveway / stealth in S CA/LA near Marina del Ray/Culver City Reply with quote

vanis13,
As an alternative to finding a stealth parking spot, Dockweiller state park might be a consideration. It's a campground at the beach near LAX, at Imperial Hwy and Vista del Mar. Rates and availability, ?? Not far from your class. Shower, bathroom, the ocean. If you bring your bike you can ride on the bike path in either direction.

Dana
jvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Driveway / stealth in S CA/LA near Marina del Ray/Culver City Reply with quote

You could get on airbnb and message a host...im sure you could easily find a host willing to let you park in their drive way with full use of house or apt for a small charge, assuming you are willing to pay something.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Driveway / stealth in S CA/LA near Marina del Ray/Culver City Reply with quote

Dana Champion wrote:
vanis13,
As an alternative to finding a stealth parking spot, Dockweiller state park might be a consideration. It's a campground at the beach near LAX, at Imperial Hwy and Vista del Mar. Rates and availability, ?? Not far from your class. Shower, bathroom, the ocean. If you bring your bike you can ride on the bike path in either direction.

Dana

Dock weiler is $80/night frr a middle row, yikes! a best western is about t$100

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Driveway / stealth in S CA/LA near Marina del Ray/Culver City Reply with quote

jvan wrote:
You could get on airbnb and message a host...im sure you could easily find a host willing to let you park in their drive way with full use of house or apt for a small charge, assuming you are willing to pay something.

Nice idea!!!

TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Driveway / stealth in S CA/LA near Marina del Ray/Culver City Reply with quote

I'm near that area but we don't have a driveway to offer I'm afraid.

You can always checkout MyLucke - tt's like airbnb for parking spaces. Sometimes there are "no overnight sleeping" restrictions, but sometimes they don't care. https://www.mylucke.com/

There are so many hikes around LA it's hard to identify just one. I'd do the Malibu/Topanga Canyon ones since the views are world-class once you get to the top.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Driveway / stealth in S CA/LA near Marina del Ray/Culver City Reply with quote

that parking space rental option is cool.

We've decided to take the 40mpg prius instead of the 16mpg subiWesty for the following reasons:

1 - found a couchsurfing space close to he class for the days we need

2 - the 2,000 mile trip has about a $250 gas savings

3 - the Westy camping in the LA area is nto the best use of the westy IMHO. And paying $70/night for a patch of asphalt by the beach....my NM/OR mind can;t wrap my head around that.

4 - we'll be visiting friends in the LA area who have offered to host us so will be taking the opportunity to socialize on this urban trip and will use the Westy on the Baja trip where it can really shine.

As I write this, I realize that the benefits of staying in the Westy are not easily gained in a place like LA.

Thanks for those that have responded. If I can, I'll now update the topic as no longer needed.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: