Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Summer 2016 Barndoor find
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
retroel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Hello from Canada, it’s about time I started a thread, as I’ve been using these forums for a long time now and the wealth of information is simply priceless and has been a huge help! Thanks!

I’ve always wanted an original paint/patina press bumper kombi but never would have dreamed it would happen like this. This all happened within a few weeks time this past summer.

My brother ended up in contact with a guy who had not one, but two barndoor buses for sale, he sent me some pictures right away as he knew it was what I was looking for(to be honest I wanted a 58 kombi, never considered a barndoor as I wanted an untouched bus, figured an untouched barndoor would be impossible to find). One was a Oct 54 kombi and the other one was a Feb 55 logo panel. I was on vacation at the time I got the email so the last two days were nothing but thoughts of buses… Anyways had been in contact with the owner and as soon as I was home and had some time I grabbed the truck and trailer and made my way over. They were both in much better shape than I would’ve expected, we made a deal on them and after putting some wheels on the kombi I loaded it up and headed home. The kombi had actually sat in a field in the middle of nowhere in Saskatchewan for about 23 or so years, which is where fellow samba member Keith (RiffRaff) had come across it in 2013. The first two pictures are ones Keith took back then, the third and fourth is how it was when I first laid eyes on it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here it is safe and sound at home, about to be parked under a roof for the first time since the 70’s. Possibly even longer than that.

It’s definitely very lucky all the original glass survived, blows my mind how solid this thing is!!

A while later I go to retrieve the logo panel. Despite being 3 feet off the ground and nothing to bolt wheels to it loaded quite easily, took a whole 15 minutes! I filled it up with some engine cases and various boxes of parts, strapped it down, said thanks and headed on my way.

About half way home I was getting hungry and so was the truck so I filled it up and pulled into Subway. Seconds later a guy runs in and asks if the bus on the trailer is mine, I said yes and he goes on to tell me that he has a 53 bus along with a whack of other VW stuff. I thought to myself “that’s pretty much impossible” but I asked if I could have a look anyways. I follow him out and about 20 minutes later we pull into his yard. Not a vw in sight. A short walk throught the trees and sure enough, a barndoor panel!

A quick look at the vin tells me it’s a Jan 55 but a barndoor panel none the less! He mostly had beetles, and had this 60 panel I ended up picking up later as well.

The barndoor was in a bit of a wet area so it was a while before it worked out that I could go get it. So long in fact that everything was covered in snow when I finally got the time to go get it… And yes I stopped in at the same Subway, this time with a small hilarious hope of ending up with another bus…

Well that’s how my kombi dream snowballed into four buses in a matter of weeks, not complaining one bit though! Here they are now, all inside and protected from the elements.

I was getting curious as to what the logo’s read on the panel, they were too difficult to make out as they were faded and the later set of logo’s was wheeled off which took a lot of the first set off. I carefully took the repaint off and after staring at it sideways for a while I was able to make out “Johnstone Dairies LTD.” Answered a lot of questions because it was very professionally turned into a swivel seat walk through, and fully insulated for hauling dairy products! Hard to see in a picture maybe but it’s clear enough you could stencil it and have it redone.

After some more digging I contacted the original family and they sent me a super cool photo!! They were super excited as they haven’t heard anything of any surviving until now, and they sold out in 1965!

So my panel would be one of those four! I wonder if another one survived… I also asked if the 25,000 miles on the odometer might be accurate, since it retired in 1966. He said very likely! Cool!

Anyhow I hope you enjoy this crazy series of events, I’m off to the shop now to work on the kombi!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Not bad for only 2 posts Wink
Great fleet of busses in one day, when it rains it pours. Glad to hop over from the Split Bus forums to follow your find. It's interesting that with all your snow that they held up so well.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

that is a score of huge proportions!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Awesome story and scores!

Quote:
...it was very professionally turned into a swivel seat walk through

Pics please, I want to see that.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Someone hit the bus loto!

Well done!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Holy balls! Congrats on the luck bro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Wow ^^^^^^^^^ that is amazing !!!!!!
Yep, Barndoor Lotto winner ! Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

MY GOD
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Amazing haul! I remember seeing pics of that Kombi when Keith found it.
I'm a little sad to see another bus leave our fair province though.
Just so you know we are building a wall...and Alberta will be paying for it.
"Lets make Sask great Again!" Laughing
70 911T
91 Westy
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Unbelievable. Congratulations.
Mujaty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

This is Unbelievable....Congrats...When you plan to start the restorations?
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Don't get much better Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool awesome finds
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Shocked Shut the front door Shocked

Wow. Just wow.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

The whole find is great, but that Kombi is wonderful.

Many more photos, please!
Outkast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Very Happy Awesome great score Solid Kombi is right ... Keep us posted of progress Congrats

57 kombi

" f!@#k"Cancer
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Hot damn! How does it actually feel to have Horseshoes up the ass!?!? Great score and hope to see some more pics.....oh ya and like Trev said I see BC plates on that rad ass kombi, stay outta our province too Twisted Evil Wink
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

What a superb score! The first two buses are an amazing find, but then to get that lucky on the way home is something else. Congratulations

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
What a superb score! The first two buses are an amazing find, but then to get that lucky on the way home is something else. Congratulations

What are the chances?! I mean come on someone smarter than me do the math, WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF THIS?! Lordy!
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

I tried real hard to be the Garrick Kombi's next steward, but it didn't work out.
I am real pleased that you wound up with it though

Love those gaps between the doors and doglegs!!
v.a.s.cleaning
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Shocked damm
you a one lucky feller damm

ps if you need 1 gone pm my ! 😆
66 sundial camper
66 karmann ghia cabrio
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: