Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Summer 2016 Barndoor find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gr8vw4sale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Lazaa wrote:
gr8vw4sale wrote:

And the rust is consistent with the rust on the front side of the pedestal. Just a high traffic area with your foot constantly hitting that area, especially with a swivel seat.

Then the rust under the handle makes sense too. Again, high traffic area with your hand always hitting that space when reaching for the handle release.

It does make sense but what about the 10mm rust line on top of that that match the line of the toolbox chest ?
One point that would make me think it is OG is the floor mat section that match an original front floor mat by it's size, ribs...Etc and I don't see a coachbuilder go that far on the details of his build. Rolling Eyes

If you agree with the translation of the brochure's preface (noted above), the factory did not offer this as an option. It would have been done at the dealer. If that was the case, the dealer would have had to remove the tool chest, as the factory would have produced this as an ordinary BD. Once they removed it, they could only have done so much with the original weld line.

I am sure at the time the dealer dusted it with a little dove blue to make it look respectable as they did nicely with the release handle but probably never primed it. Over time the dusting of the paint wore off as this bus went through service and sat out in the elements re-exposing the weld line.

Remember this is 1955, where quality of execution was at a different level.

I'm pretty sure the allure of the swivel seat option in a very economical delivery van (compared to the Divco & the other American vehicles they had in the fleet) for a milk company was the deciding factor in the company buying 4 new ones at the same time.

Keep in mind that up to the early 1950's in western Canada, milk was still being delivered by horse and buggy (I'm not kidding), anything was an upgrade for the company.

With VW knowing that they were changing out of the barndoor model into the next generation of split, they probably would have done anything to sell out of that "older" model year to usher in the new and improved Type II. To the dealer, being able to sell 4 "old model" Type II's at the same time and converting all 4 into swivel seats was probably well worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
retroel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

I'm a bit late to the party but wow you guys are really getting into this! Btw, great work gr8vw4sale, the old photo looks awesome! All very interesting, but I am 100% positive it is not a factory walkthrough and therefore not a swivel seat either. That being said, when I first looked at the bus I had to look twice, it is a very and unusually(especially for that time-and for a commercial vehicle no less) cleanly done conversion. Have a look at the underside photo, a piece of tubing for the swivel shaft was definitely welded in after the fact. I don't have a photo handy but the bulkhead lip that is spot welded onto the inner b-pillars was still there, very neatly trimmed but proof it was produced with a bulkhead. Maybe this bus was the last of the four to be modified and the shop that was doing it had perfected the procedure and that's why it's so nicely done!
As for an update, the dairy panel has actually been passed on to another enthusiast, and I did make good progress with the kombi this spring but it hasn't been touched for a while now. I am hoping early next year or even later this year to get back on it, I will be posting much more then!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

can't believe how nice everything looks under there. pretty much obvious that the conversion work has been done very early ( probably in 55) and therefore is totally appropriate and period correct IMHO. hopefully this mod will be kept during resto of van.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Why would there be burn marks around the welding work underneath? If it was done in the factory wouldn't they have done the work prior to paint or at least touched up the paint when they are done?
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

No one is suggesting this was a ‘factory’ option. The brochure clearly states it’s an aftermarket option. But a period correct one possibly endorsed by VW.
It would have almost certainly have left the factory with a bulkhead, bench seat and tool chest, but was possibly adapted before its first ownership.
cory464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote:
No one is suggesting this was a ‘factory’ option. The brochure clearly states it’s an aftermarket option. But a period correct one possibly endorsed by VW.
It would have almost certainly have left the factory with a bulkhead, bench seat and tool chest, but was possibly adapted before its first ownership.

right, thats what im saying. it appears to have been done either at the dealership, or as secondary work at the factory (work done after main assembly, prior to shipment)

would be very interesting to see the m codes or birth certificate. if it was ordered with no interior then that would be some pretty strong evidence that it was equipped at the factory. or if any vw part numbrs or manufacturers stamps are present on the parts.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

cory464 wrote:
Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote:

right, thats what im saying. it appears to have been done either at the dealership, or as secondary work at the factory (work done after main assembly, prior to shipment)

would be very interesting to see the m codes or birth certificate. if it was ordered with no interior then that would be some pretty strong evidence that it was equipped at the factory. or if any vw part numbrs or manufacturers stamps are present on the parts.

And if all this is fact and made this way by a later "sub" would this not be in fact a true swivel seat in the only way it could of been done prior to the factory making this option in house? Thats what Im reading and if all true makes this an even rarer version of the swivel seat as it would be pre factory converted. No?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Barndoor find Reply with quote

Hi retroel!

Here is something you might be happy to see Very Happy
I just browsed through the web and found this pic from back in 2009. It has been taken by the niece of the bus/farm owner in Saskatoon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Farm 2009 by Kaleidoscope Jewelry, on Flickr

The bus looked so familiar to me and after a quick search i stumbled over this thread again and felt like i have to post it here Cool

Greets from Austria,
Alex

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: