Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice on swapping heat exchangers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

Years ago I replaced my rusted OG heat exchangers with Dansk and realized the mistake on the next ski trip. I have acquired some good OG HE's and plan to swap them into my '69 camper. I'm reluctant to drop the engine for only this work and would like advice on the possibility of doing the swap with the engine in place.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

it can be done. i've done it a few times on various VW's.
it can really suck to get to the upper exhaust nuts. and if you strip the nut or stud or break an exhaust stud, you're gonna end up pulling the engine anyway. it can also suck a bit trying to get the "new" heater box pipe to fit in the muffler and on the exhaust stud at the same time. if you do this, i would recommend putting it up on heavy duty jackstands (or lift, if you are so fortunate as to have access to one) and removing the wheels. it gives easier access.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

I've never done it but I have had to tighten up the exhaust nuts a few times.. It doesn't seem like it would be impossible. You might not even have to pull the muffler off.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

If it's not possible, then I'm an inveterate miracle-worker. I suggest you replace those pesky front exhust stud nuts with
smaller 11 or 12 mm wrench size nuts, stainless or brass, and use anti-seize.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

I've done it. I didn't think it was that hard, but my exhaust studs were good and didn't pull out. Removing the rear apron helps a ton.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I went back with the smaller diameter EMPI exhaust nuts. Definitely handy
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

1971 dual port experience not 1969 so can't say on that. On 1971 Factory heat exchangers. Remove the exhaust first. A couple nuts will need liquid wrench to loosen them but they will come off. May need different wrenches to get angles on the nuts.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

Mayor Ratwell does a really nice write up on preparing the ports to fit and seal on the heads. You only want to do this job once.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
Mayor Ratwell does a really nice write up on preparing the ports to fit and seal on the heads. You only want to do this job once.

That's for a late (T4) bus.

-

Tom, this is absolutely doable. I think it's SIGNIFICANTLY easier than removing the engine to do the job. An "s-wrench" will work wonders. With stock diameter pipes, I've never needed anything smaller than 13mm fasteners. Just retorque them a couple times after any new install. Google image search for that wrench if you don't know what I'm talking about, I can't copy Google links from my phone.

Good luck, and let me know if you get into a bind; I'll be all over Southern California in the next few months.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

I've done it and although it was a long time ago, I don't recall it being that difficult. I did break a stud and had to drill/ EZ out. Did it with engine in place and it sucked, but again not that difficult.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
An "s-wrench" will work wonders.

I find that a "U" wrench works super well for this job too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
... An "s-wrench" will work wonders. ... Google image search for that wrench if you don't know what I'm talking about, ... Good luck, and let me know if you get into a bind; I'll be all over Southern California in the next few months.
Robbie

I believe you refer to what I have always called a manifold wrench. I have a set of those from Harbor Freight. HF calls them an S-type obstruction wrench. http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product..._12257.jpg

I'll be doing the heat exchanger swap and a center pin rebuild at Gary's this weekend. Stop by for some beer by the bus and lunch at Point Loma Seafoods with us if you are down that way.

Sounds like it it is about 60/40 engine in/ engine out. I'm just tired of crawling around on the concrete.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

I think it's pretty simple IF the mounting nuts/studs are not rusted. Certainly spray all the connections with PB blaster a day or two before commencing the job. I also agree with putting the bus on jack stands and removing the rear tires for better access. I didn't remove my muffler or engine when I removed my heater boxes last time.

The other thing Tom is to REALLY check the nipples that slide into the muffler on your used heater boxes for wear/rust and being undersized. That joint likes to create irritating exhaust leaks. I sourced some used, original boxes for my 70. Both of my pipes/nipples were rusted undersized.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113255101X

These repair nipples are sweet. While I welded mine in, they don't have to be. Replacing those pipe ends and using good donuts and clamps provided zero exhaust leaks.

Last suggestion. Get a big metal file and flatten the exhaust gasket seating area that slides over the two studs on the heads. Most are warped. Making it flat again with new gaskets it worth the effort.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

I had to torch the exhaust bolts off of my 78 bus. I repaired the heater boxes and installed them without removing the engine. It is not a fun job when it is really cold outside. I have a kerosene heater, which blew warm air while doing the installation.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

Follow-up:

Both heater boxes were replaced without pulling the engine, or anything else, for that matter. After Tom backed into the driveway, we jacked the rear end up, put on jack stands, then pulled the rear tires. After that, the four front exhaust nuts were loosened (not hard, as they were quite hot!) Angled 13mm wrenches made this possible. After cooling down for a while, the hot and cold air hoses, and heater cables were disconnected. The rear doughnut clamps, heater box to tin screws and front flange nuts were removed. The heater boxes easily slid forward and were removed.

Reinstallation was the reverse of removal, with new gaskets and doughnut rings used. The heater box flanges were made flat with some hammer and file work.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)

Last edited by telford dorr on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Follow-up:

Both heater boxes were replaced without pulling the engine, or anything else, for that matter. After Tom backed into the driveway, we jacked the rear end up, put on jack stands, then pulled the rear tires. After that, the four front exhaust nuts were loosened (not hard, as they were quite hot!) Angled 13mm wrenches made this possible. After cooling down for a while, the hot and cold air hoses, and heater cables were disconnected. The rear doughnut clamps were removed, and front nuts removed. The heater boxes easily slid forward and were removed.

Reinstallation was the reverse of removal, with new gaskets and doughnut rings used. The heater box flanges were made flat with some hammer and file work.

Mahalo Telford Very Happy

Aloha
tp
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

You're welcome, any time. Bottom line: this was a straight-forward job. Not complex at all.

Forgot to mention: chased the head studs with the appropriate sized die to clean them up, then lightly coated with nickel anti-seize. Made getting the flanges snug very easy

Last edited by telford dorr on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
You're welcome, any time. Bottom line: this was a straight-forward job. Not complex at all.

It's not the lack of complexity that I am thankful for. It is is the crawling around on the cement by friends.

Aloha
tp
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

Well, your rubber mat cushion made that not so bad...

So: the heat works good? Had to bail before it was tested...
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on swapping heat exchangers Reply with quote

I was cooking and sweating on the drive when I tested the center pin, steering and heat exchangers. OG is better than Dansk by uku million percent.

Aloha
tp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: