Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dumb question. Shiney quick dry spray (for use while prepping)
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Dumb question. Shiney quick dry spray (for use while prepping) Reply with quote

I have watched videos where as they are block sanding panels, they will spray the panel with a clear spray that makes the surface super shiny so you can see any imperfections. The spray then dries up relatively quickly. Being new to painting and wanting to paint my own car, I want to rely heavily on this spray while I work on each body panel. What the heck is it? Does my question even make sense?

Thank you!

You can see it in use at the start of this video. He calls it "wet checking" but I am not sure what the product is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njhiSrwsu-k
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb question. Shiney quick dry spray (for use while prepping) Reply with quote

It's called "Guide Coat". It comes in flat black too so you can readily see the low spots on your panel.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb question. Shiney quick dry spray (for use while prepping) Reply with quote

Guide coat (as noted) and it is worth every penny
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb question. Shiney quick dry spray (for use while prepping) Reply with quote

no, not guide coat. That I have. This is after you spray your guide coat and block sand it down. You spray this on (it is just a clear liquid) and it makes it look like it has a clear coat on it allowing you to see imperfections. Its clear, like water, spray on, only stays wet for a minute or two. Produces a high gloss so that again, you can see the imperfections (like waviness that a guide coat may not show).

He sprays it on at the start of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njhiSrwsu-k
BotanyBandit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb question. Shiney quick dry spray (for use while prepping) Reply with quote

My guess is either prep wash or wax and grease remover. You'll still want to wipe wax and grease remover completely down. I don't like the idea of using it over filler. Filler absorbs moisture. But I'm far from an authority on automotive painting
BeetL62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb question. Shiney quick dry spray (for use while prepping) Reply with quote

Like90 offers Quick Check panel check fluid. http://like90.mobi/qc.html
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dumb question. Shiney quick dry spray (for use while prepping) Reply with quote

In this case if he is wet sanding, he is probably just spraying it down with water.
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Dumb question. Shiney quick dry spray (for use while prepping) Reply with quote

BeetL62 wrote:
Like90 offers Quick Check panel check fluid. http://like90.mobi/qc.html

This is basically what I was looking for. Thank you. Just gives peace of mind for the novice painter before going through all the stages (final color) and finding out it was wavy or had imperfections. I
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb question. Shiney quick dry spray (for use while prepping) Reply with quote

He says its paint prep...ie "wax and grease remover"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: