Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need tips on swapping a 091 and 2.0 into a 74 Bay
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Need tips on swapping a 091 and 2.0 into a 74 Bay Reply with quote

I have a wiz of a VW buddy that said he can go through it! Guess that's the next step to get it on his bench! Smile Thanks for all your help with this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Need tips on swapping a 091 and 2.0 into a 74 Bay Reply with quote

something that has not been mentioned is whether or not you have an "early" or "late" '74. i had a "late" 74, and putting an 091 and a 2L in it did not involve any modifications to any parts (like the shift rod, mounts, etc), and it all just bolted right in.
i kinda remember reading somewhere on the forum that "late" 74 began a bunch of changes that allowed later parts such as this to be installed with no mods. if i can reference this info or threads, i'll post links.

reference pics
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=411720
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=346684 (yeah, that progressive went away)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=376019
Bonesbrigade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Need tips on swapping a 091 and 2.0 into a 74 Bay Reply with quote

Just curious since this thread is filled with knowledgeable engine guru's. Im in the same situation and have the opertunity to purchase a GB motor 2.0 type 4. The guy wants $250. It it just the motor no trans. Is this a good deal? What do these usually go for?
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need tips on swapping a 091 and 2.0 into a 74 Bay Reply with quote

I'd say that is a hell of a deal if it seems to be a decent motor. Especially if you can turn it over by hand and feel even compression on all 4 strokes.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Need tips on swapping a 091 and 2.0 into a 74 Bay Reply with quote

Try and work out a deal where you don't have to pay him for it (maybe set up an escrow account at your bank) until you have it installed and have gotten it nice and hot a couple of times, including a 20-30 mile highway run at 70mph. You should be able to keep the oil pressure warning light off with a crankcase full of hot 5w30 oil.

Be sure to pull the rocker arms and check to see if all the valve stems are at the same height, if not then you will need to do immediate head work.
gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need tips on swapping a 091 and 2.0 into a 74 Bay Reply with quote

hazetguy, just wondering what your vin was, that might help determine if I have and early or late 74? Would really be nice if it was a bolt in!!
Aug 1 215 2 000 001 AS 195 426 - 1600/50bhp
AP 027 466 - 1800/68bhp
ED 000 640 - 1800/70bhp DIN EFI - Automatic Start of 1975 model year
Dec 31 215 2 073 083 AS 251 574
AP 037 047
ED 0 011 950 Fuel injection started
gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need tips on swapping a 091 and 2.0 into a 74 Bay Reply with quote

hazetguy, mine was built January 10, 1974 and had FI. I'm assuming it is a late. Did you need to used the top two hangers and if so, how did you get bolts in when you put the tranny/engine in together??? TY
mango-smoothie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need tips on swapping a 091 and 2.0 into a 74 Bay Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Try and work out a deal where you don't have to pay him for it (maybe set up an escrow account at your bank) until you have it installed and have gotten it nice and hot a couple of times, including a 20-30 mile highway run at 70mph. You should be able to keep the oil pressure warning light off with a crankcase full of hot 5w30 oil.

Be sure to pull the rocker arms and check to see if all the valve stems are at the same height, if not then you will need to do immediate head work.

i don't know a seller that would ever do that.

grab an extra trans and starter and compression test it yourself. if you had the trans on a ground and an extra battery - you could comp test all 4 in ~10 minutes start to finish.

as for the thread topic - i'm running (in my 72) a 2056 T4 w/44IDFs and an 091.

vwwestyman's post is bang on. all bolts in and all you need to do is modify the shift rod.
gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Need tips on swapping a 091 and 2.0 into a 74 Bay Reply with quote

As far as the hijackers question goes, I'm sure that if he shops around he will find that a good set of t4 tin is worth the money. A good set or even core heads? Buy it before it's gone is my feeling.
And back to the topic, being that mine is late I might get buy without adjusting that shaft length as hazetguy did. has me wondering about the upper hangers when you swap the two as a unit?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need tips on swapping a 091 and 2.0 into a 74 Bay Reply with quote

mango-smoothie wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

i don't know a seller that would ever do that.
A seller is typically looking at a VW engine as something he wished he had gotten rid of years ago. If he can actually get a bit of money for something that he has been sitting on for a decade he is going to be willing to deal. I bought a complete Type 1 engine a year ago for $10. No demands that it works, but who cares for that price.
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need tips on swapping a 091 and 2.0 into a 74 Bay Reply with quote

In the process of swapping my 091 with a 3 Rib Belhousing to a Complete 091 with 091 bellhousing.
228 Flywheel, clutch, and disk. Also installed the loner studs on the bottom. Also got a new starter.
My problem is the starter bolt does not go all the way through.. is that longer as well?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Need tips on swapping a 091 and 2.0 into a 74 Bay Reply with quote

I do not know from experience on that one however the fiche shows

up to VIN 215 2 300 000 M10 x 110 (44, 46, 47, 50)
Vin 216 2 000 001 on M10 x 123 (46, 50, 70)
Vin 217 2 060 001 on M10 x 123 (68 Australian)
Vin 216 2 000 001 M10 x 170 (automatic)

"70" is the 2.0L G series engine
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need tips on swapping a 091 and 2.0 into a 74 Bay Reply with quote

Thanks SG. Seems the 123mm one would have worked perfect. I also had to find a longer bolt for the other top side as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: