Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Evaporator resistors, need some help or suggestions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Evaporator resistors, need some help or suggestions Reply with quote

I haven't posted anything for a long time, but I need some help.

My 1987 weekender a/c fan only works on 12 and 4. #3 does not work. I checked the D pillar 50 amp fuse and that was good. So I'm guessing it most likely is the evaporator resistors. Unfortunately NLA. So I'm trying to find some used ones or maybe there is other alternatives out there.

I just did the front heater box and installed and did a Jeep resistor mod. Can other resistors work?

I did the search on this subject but any other help would be appreciated. If you know anyone with the original parts or other alternatives that would work that would be great.

Any help would be appreciated
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporator resistors, need some help or suggestions Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, speed 3 is energized through the a/c relay then on to the resistor bank. Speeds 1 and 2 have to go through the resistor bank including the 3rd speed resistor. Take a look at the a/c relay, see if it energizes when you power up 3rd speed. Speed 4 bypasses the residtors.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporator resistors, need some help or suggestions Reply with quote

EDIT: self-censor by the guy confusing horses head for its ass.

Last edited by pablum on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporator resistors, need some help or suggestions Reply with quote

I agree with Farf that your problem might be a relay and not the resistor. The reason is that there are two blower fans and two resistors in the AC cabinet. The likelihood that both resistors would fail at once is low, and I therefore would suspect the relay.

See the June 17, 2016 post by Farf in the link below which contains his annotated wiring diagram. I believe that your problem is to be found in the AC relay at terminal 6/4. That relay may have failed. You can check this by jumpering between terminal 8/2 (this is the 50 amp 12V supply)and terminal 6/4. If this makes your fans run, then the resistor(s) is not/are not the problem. Here's the link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=20
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporator resistors, need some help or suggestions Reply with quote

To add a bit of useful detail to my earlier post:

1. Find the A/C relay in the D-Pillar space. It is the tall, double-height relay.
2. Remove the relay and look at the wiring diagram on the side of the relay.
3. Using some stripped copper wire (2.5 mm), make a short jumper wire and wrap one end around the 6/4 pin on the bottom of the relay and the other end around the 8/2 pin on the bottom of the relay. Do this in a way that will permit you to re-insert the relay into its socket. Make sure that the jumper is not touching any other pins and use electrical tape or similar to ensure that.
4. Now, plug the relay back in and test the AC evaporator blower fans. If the fans run, the relay or the rotary switch on your dash is the problem. If they don't run, then the resistor(s) is/are the problem.

The point of the above is to connect the two terminals marked in yellow in the diagram below (thanks, Farf) which would be connected if the relay was working properly. This jumper sends 12v drawn from the 50 amp fusible link to the wires connected to the two resistors at the segment marked "3", meaning, 3rd speed of the 4 speeds. As you can see, the highest speed (4) is controlled by a separate relay (marked "evap. fan relay" in the diagram) that applies full 12v with no resistance to the two evaporator blower motors.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporator resistors, need some help or suggestions Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
I haven't posted anything for a long time, but I need some help.

My 1987 weekender a/c fan only works on 12 and 4. #3 does not work. I checked the D pillar 50 amp fuse and that was good. So I'm guessing it most likely is the evaporator resistors. Unfortunately NLA. So I'm trying to find some used ones or maybe there is other alternatives out there.

I just did the front heater box and installed and did a Jeep resistor mod. Can other resistors work?

I did the search on this subject but any other help would be appreciated. If you know anyone with the original parts or other alternatives that would work that would be great.

Any help would be appreciated

Replace the third speed blower relay..behind the pillar left rear..after you check the fuses and ground connection that are back there too.

Part number 171 959 141A..get a good one too..not a Meyle

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporator resistors, need some help or suggestions Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I did exactly as you said, connecting the 8/2 and 6/4 and the fan switch on 3 worked Very Happy so I'm so thankful for your help. I just ordered the a/c relay from Van-cafe.

I'm really glad that I didn't have to change the resistors.

thanks again. God Bless.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporator resistors, need some help or suggestions Reply with quote

You are quite welcome - - glad to help. Now post in the topic heading that the problem is solved.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: