Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time for some paint
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardm82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

pomfritz wrote:
I've been collecting stuff for the last two years. And now that I took it apart I have built a pretty good list of items still needed and having VC set them aside for me so they don't go out of stock when I get them. They are fantastic to work with.

I think this is the last bump. They spent alot longer than planned on the slider due to a poor prior repair of thick bondo. I'll add some to the final bill to make up for that. They didn't ask. Overall I think it's a very fair price and I've don't mind paying for work well done.

Per Rick their bread and butter are insurance bumper repairs and stuff like that that they whip out at $800 a pop.

Would you mind sharing the items you are replacing? I am planning on doing something similar.

Did you remove the glass yourself to have it tinted? How much did you pay for tint? I had someone here in Fremont quote me $750 to remove the glass and tint.
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Yeah, this was all considered. Some was bought long ago and the rest now. It does add up and looking forward to completing the major cost items with this project. Actually dash is next but once again most of the parts have been bought for a while now and just needed to get more important stuff done first.

Be great to get some shelf space back when things get installed.
Belladonna30c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your experience! I am in the early phase of getting quotes and exploring my paint/restoration options.

Got a quote for full exterior restoration including seal replacement, painting door handels, etc. for $6,000--and they do all the work of stripping etc.

With an appointment have to leave the van for one month. Not sure what the standard return time would be.

Appreciate any feedback from the Samba Community.

I look forward to seeing your "after" pics. Perhaps it will motivate me to part with my $$$. Exclamation

"A picture is worth a 1,000 words..."

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Judging from the work I did and the cost of the parts. I would say that is. A very good price. Assuming the quality of the shop is reputable. My van had some previous work and they said it didn't even look like it was sanded before putting on new paint plus thick layers of bondo.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

hand them your camera and have then take photos of the rusted door hinge post as they remove the outer layers, there maybe be visual clues as to what caused this rust

Many times improperly done sealing after a collision repair can lead to rust, this is an odd plce to see for factory failure rust, any evidence of prior repairs on the post, or skin, in this area? leaks in windshield? Is folded over metal edge factory smooth or wavey with appearance of repair, or evidence of growing rust bubbling it up?

this is the right side of van, correct? that is the low side if van is parked on a street with a crown, so water would flow rightwards when parked. could a window leak end up pooling in the post, I know the post is open to dash as wires pass thru it. I wonder????

anyway look forward to seeing the guts of the post, and analysis of the damage.

good luck, thanks for sharing Laughing Cool Shocked Very Happy Laughing Razz Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing Razz Confused Shocked Very Happy Laughing Wink Rolling Eyes Confused

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

I will see if they can take some pics of that. It does seems a bit of a mystery how this happened. The window frame above if fine as is the surrounding area. No evidence of prior damage. The slider had a long vertical dent like rom scraping but outside that all looks original. Thanks. Glad I could contribute and give back in some way. I'm sure I'll be asking about how things go back together....
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

ask them to snap a flash photo, several angles into the cavity, via the turn signal opening, to show the inside area of door post top to bottom.

that might give a clue. with the door off they an also see the reverse side of the folded seam on the edge, another clue.

uhm........

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Richardm,

Didn't see your full post earlier,

I removed all the windows myself and will install myself based on videos I saw. Probably will tint the windshield at least 50% maybe more. The sides and rear will get 5%.

All the window seals are getting new no chrome rubber, including wing windows. All new seals in doors, hatch slider, engine, some were really torn up others not so bad but need to remove to get a good paint job. Need new scrapers and some metal tabs to hold in as some broke while removing.

Sliding windows are getting new guide pieces, felt and rubber, taking those apart to paint frames black and easier to tint.

Needed new outer plates for the sliding window lock, striped screw hole.

Replacing upper glide block for sliding door and the sliding block on the side. Bearings look pretty good still.

New emblems on rear

Door lock collars got trashed while removing. Replacing inside door handles and latch trim with black, my brown ones crumbled.

Bought b-quiet sound deadening mat for cavities.

I bought a set of refurbed handles a while ago, now I will have matching locks.

Getting vented rear windows from my local parts guy.

Also getting rear and upper cabinet from him as mine were trashed and some sides were missing laminate.

VC sourced some Allen head bolts for the latch hardware. These strip easily. Bought an impact driver after the fact.

All new gaskets around handles.

New antenna

Window washing nozzles,

Replacing door step rubber.

Replacing fuel neck collar

New interior panels from sew fine, had these from over a year ago when I got a Black Friday deal from them.

Replacing my sliding door lock mechanism, won't open from the inside.

Rear latch was worn so it's getting replaced.

Finally getting my license plate lights to work

Misc mouldings that mine were originally missing

Previously had replaced the hookups, front and side lenses, luggage and pop top seals.

I pretty much went through VC and GW sites in the body section to get ideas of what I might need. Damn it adds up fast. But to me it's worth it because, Vanagon, and I thought I knew what I was getting into when we got it.

So like any remodeling project, the scope creeps up, hopefully this helps give you an idea of what to expect. I will put it all back on myself. Can't afford for someone else to do it besides this is my therapy. Tinting left to the pros, too anal about possible bubbles. Oh and don't forget towing charges to and back, as usual a bit higher than expected.

Things to come, mud flaps, rear camera and video head unit, gps tracker. Need a break...
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

for the rear side lense, the red one, why not install a little red led bulb? I did, and it is hugely brighter and redder than the regular bulb, plus I found the lense does not get hot from the led bulb like it does with a regular bulb (my original lenses had heat damage from original bulbs.
you can simply glue in the led bulb that is ona wire pigtail.

much better lighting than tbe regular bulb, long life, a win win.

pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Regarding the bumper brackets. I decided to leave them on. The rears are not touching the body and is easy to mask. The fronts were a real bitch to get on. Took pounding to attach. Won't be seen and the damage I would do to reinstall would probably look worse. The license bracket was on very tight and was afraid of stripping the screws.

Here's a free tip. The wing window frames had a bunch of rust and has all manner of channels. I tried soaking in vinegar. Works good, however, there is a little plastic piece attached on a pivot to hold the window in. One side started to decompose. Part is not available. Sourcing another used frame to replace.

Sigh. Next time I'll know better 😉
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

The lenses are pretty new. I was thinking of swapping leds in there. Is there a pine that has the same base as the normal bulb that I can just pop in?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

pomfritz wrote:
The lenses are pretty new. I was thinking of swapping leds in there. Is there a pine that has the same base as the normal bulb that I can just pop in?

i found a genaric red led bulb, 12 volt of course. I soldered the bulb leads to the stock wires (pay attention to polarity) and wrapped enough tap around the leads to make them fat enough to be held in place in the lense opening, then a dab of silicone rtv to seal it from moisture

my stock bulb sockets where pretty much shot, corroded, broken, no need for a socket for the led bulb as the bulb should never need replacement in my lifetime, hence solder and a dab of silicone rtv, however it I had too, it could be removed and replaced easy enough.

the brightness increase over the little wimpy stock bulb was huge. nice and bright

speaking of brighter lights, I did add some led bulbs in the tail lamps, the red ones and the backup white one, I didnt bother to replace the yellow flasher bulb. these bulbs were direct plug in socket replacements. the leds are considerably brighter, the bright back up lights are very nice.
one other thing to do is to cover the tail light housing, internal rear and sides with reflective aluminized ducting tape, the shiny metal tape in two inch wide roll cut pieces and use tweezers to stick it to the black plastic internal surfaces of the lamp housing, this alone makes a huge increase in brightness you may also add an additional red light in the unused red section of the lamp housing, the socket is there, but you need to add a terminal wire for the bulb, I jumped it to the tail light circuit, so now I have 2 tail light bulbs on each side rather than 1. I believe the extra red spot on the housing is for optional rear fog lamp. why not put it too use? even if you dont add a bulb to this location, still cover the inside with the reflective metal tape, as this makes that lense a much better reflector, other cars headlight will light it up when the van is parked.

good luck with your van.

ps also consider adding a rear window third high mount brake light. the vans stop lights are very low, not so visiable, so a high mount stop light is a good idea. Ive been rear ended three times at stops,(three total wrecks) now I have the third high mount light, never been rear ended when driving a car with a high mount stop light

pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

3rd brake light, another part ordered long ago waiting for this time.

Thanks
surfwagonorangevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

That is a big project and I am with those who have said deal with the rust in the front door pillars . My van has the same issue , it has gone from what you are seeing now to being far worse in less than a couple of years . I haven't discovered the cause but am interested to see if anyone else has opened this area up for repair . The rust appears to on a vertical seam with what I would call the front firewall , there is rust on both driver and passenger sides . I keep meaning to remove the front grill and headlight buckets to look in from there because I may find a very rusty seam there ,and the rust on the outside of the body may be the tip of the iceberg as they say . keep us posted on the progress please .
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Yeah the area will be cut out and hope to get pictures of this. Driver side is fine. From looking at the area behind that pillar in the jamb and inside the headlight area there is no sign of any rust or leakage. The window area is good too.
Borg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

2 years on and I am just starting to forget my sticker shock from buying all those front door window seals! It was the same when I restored my old Bronco though, well worth the cost in the end.

We have a first generation Miata too, nice to have two cars at very different ends of the spectrum.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Borg wrote:
2 years on and I am just starting to forget my sticker shock from buying all those front door window seals! It was the same when I restored my old Bronco though, well worth the cost in the end.

We have a first generation Miata too, nice to have two cars at very different ends of the spectrum.

Last generation Triump Spitfire, me too with the ends of spectrum.

pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Driving a car made in the last 5 years seems like such a unique experience. All I know is I just like what I drive. We'll probably ditch the Miata in 3 years and get an electric with some range. Only 91K on the Miata drives and looks great still.
But I just don't want to keep two oldies going.

Had a Spitfire many years ago. Fun but scary car, steering locked up one time on a big turn. Never figured out what was wrong with it.
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Well took a visit and the body work is done and they are getting ready to prime. Couldn't really take any very good pics as it is cover in thin plastic as they mask it up. From what I could see there was a lot of sanding and smoothing all over and the dents are nicely patched up.

As far as the strip by the passenger door, the cut out a strip about 1.5" wide and 18" long and patched it back in. The metal behind it was rusted and they covered it with Rust Mort. Not sure how the moisture got in there.

I've been getting the parts cleaned up and organized for reassembly. I expect to get the van back in about 2 weeks and now I'm getting anxious to get started.

I picked up some rear and upper cabinets to replace mine which were covered in rubber cement and fabrics. The ones I got were pretty filthy and cleaned up pretty good. I used a heat gun to remove all the old contact paper and primed it with a few coats of Kilz and them some Navajo White paint. cut some thin industrial carpet for the shelves. Looks pretty good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Back to pacing back and forth...
richardm82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Great project. Look forward to seeing the finished paint job!

Last edited by richardm82 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: