Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beware of Thermex brand front heater core
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Terry Kay wrote:
Not innovative at all, just capable of duplication, and at a higher cost to boot.

Current prices - TK $279, Gowesty $199

...FWiW/currently: $145 @ Van Cafe, plus cookies...

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
http://www.thebrassworks.net/shop/Heater-Cores-Oth..._info.html

"Tip 2: The rear heater would originally have had a restrictor to limit coolant flow through the rear heater and force additional coolant through the front heater. If "someone" removes this restrictor you may have limited flow through the front heater especially at idle. Test this possibility by pinching off the hose to the rear heater. If the heat rises in the front you'll know why.
"

Seems like the control valve for the rear heater could be used to test that out. I would think it presents a restriction when it is closed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Terry Kay wrote:
Not innovative at all, just capable of duplication, and at a higher cost to boot.

Current prices - TK $279, Gowesty $199

...FWiW/currently: $145 @ Van Cafe, plus cookies...

Wink

- Dave

If the pictures are any indication, that one at VC is the dreaded Thermex brand. Not the good repros that GW or TK offer.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Pulled my Thermex yesterday and replaced it with a used OEM core that I pressure tested first.

The Thermex core looked to be full of coolant when I pulled it but was not producing heat. I was expecting air entrapment. I have to wonder if the design paired with the flow rate of the vanagon coolant system just doesn't allow for coolant to circulate through the Thermex.
detoxed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Anybody using the Brassworks core? Feedback other than pricey?
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

I've been working with CIP, whom I bought the Thermex core from, on returning the part. They reached out to the supplier and said there was indeed a product recall on the Thermex core. Rolling Eyes

I've been offered credit but am trying to get a refund.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
http://www.thebrassworks.net/shop/Heater-Cores-Oth..._info.html

Side question - what is this restrictor they are referring to?

"Tip 4: The rear heater would originally have had a restrictor to limit coolant flow through the rear heater and force additional coolant through the front heater. If "someone" removes this restrictor you may have limited flow through the front heater especially at idle. Test this possibility by pinching off the hose to the rear heater. If the heat rises in the front you'll know why."
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

okay, i'm freakin' out a little bit. have a new Van Cafe heater core on the bench i'll be putting in very soon. worrying that it is the dreaded Thermex but take a look at these photos... it is different from what Fogerty1970 posted. please make me feel better!

first my VC core overall

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now, looking down the inlet/outlet. notice how there is not a restriction as per the Thermex photo further below. it's just full bore. i also shined a strong light in the openings and there was zero light transmittal between the inlet and outlet.

and finally, a repost of the photo from Fogerty1970 of his Thermex inlet:

so. tell me the VC isn't a Thermex and make me feel good!!

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:

"Tip 4: The rear heater would originally have had a restrictor to limit coolant flow through the rear heater and force additional coolant through the front heater. If "someone" removes this restrictor you may have limited flow through the front heater especially at idle. Test this possibility by pinching off the hose to the rear heater. If the heat rises in the front you'll know why."

It's something like these:
http://www.van-cafe.com/page_2010_1140/heater-core-hose-reducer
The original VW part looks different but these work the same way to reduce flow.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
SyncroChrick wrote:

It's something like these:
http://www.van-cafe.com/page_2010_1140/heater-core-hose-reducer
The original VW part looks different but these work the same way to reduce flow.

Wow even after all these years I can still learn new things!! that's what so great about Vanagon, always full of surprises!

I guess I need to add this to the list when I do my engine swap. Thank you
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

That’s an interesting observation that lack of heat up front can be dependent on components in the rear heater area.

Can a defecive heater core be identified by a simple flow test with a garden hose?

Would be interesting if someone with a Thermex core AND a OEM core (& others?) could set a garden hose at some calibrated flow rate and compare the output flow of the two cores.

It’s fairly easy to determine flow rate with a stopwatch and a 5-gal bucket. If the bucket is half-full in 30 seconds the faucet setting is 5 gallons per minute. Perhaps a good test can be Samba-developed so folks have better confidence before closing up a das project.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

I'm not buying it.. Reduced flow would allow the fan or other air flow to pull more btu's from the available heated "coolant" leaving a luke warm heater box.

I have personally pulled a fully functional OE heater core to replace with a thermex only to end up with Zero heat... It has nothing to do with original flow characteristics and everything to do with the overall fabrication of the replacement core. Are the passages too large? Too restricted? Internally blocked? The latter is what agrees with me. How can the input side of the core be hot and the drivers side remain Ice Cold... Shameful

J
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
I'm not buying it.. Reduced flow would allow the fan or other air flow to pull more btu's from the available heated "coolant" leaving a luke warm heater box.

Reduced coolant flow will certainly result in reduced heat output. Or are you saying there is good flow but zero heat? I have a hard time believing that, but,,,,

Basically since there’s doubt regarding some brand heater cores it seems useful to develop a simple test that members can do prior to reassembling their dash. What if you just blow thru it with your breath?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
jberger wrote:

Reduced coolant flow will certainly result in reduced heat output. Or are you saying there is good flow but zero heat? I have a hard time believing that, but,,,,

Basically since there’s doubt regarding some brand heater cores it seems useful to develop a simple test that members can do prior to reassembling their dash. What if you just blow thru it with your breath?

I don't like being put in a situation beyond my control or understanding. What I'm telling you is, despite perfect coolant flow, the Thermex heater core I was subjected to did not produce heat. I went through almost every experiment you can think of (almost, because I know you are very creative) with the same result. Nothing wrong with the coolant flow.... everything wrong with the replacement core.

I would not install a Thermex core in any of my vans... period. Installing the heater core is not THAT hard.. its just that you want a certain assurance that the product will work.

J
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

i don't think the heat issues with the Thermex were from reduced flow... it was short-circuiting as i recall. someone shone a light in one pipe and could see light in the other.

i know on the core i have there is not light between the passages but before i put it in service am going to hook it up to the faucet and take an IR movie of changing the water from cold to hot to see the heat flow pattern thru the core. that should identify whether there is any short-circuits on this core.

-dan
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

^^^ Wise.

Who'da guessed in this day and age we'd still have companies
trying to figure out how to make a heater core that works...???

Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Brick wall

- Dave

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

companies make parts to sell not to work.
by the time the returns come in they've cashed out the company .
and it's the new holding company's problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

The short circuit theory makes the most sense to me. The coolant flow will take the path of least resistance, and thus create a semi-permanently cool/cold eddy inside the core--flow goes in and immediately out again. I've seen radiator cores nearly completely occluded with scale and they still were able to shed heat, which leads me to think the tiny passages theory isn't quite telling the whole story here.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

here it is... i took an infra red video of cold and hot water flowing thru my new Van Cafe heater core, purchased Oct 2017 for $125, don't know what brand they sell. water inlet/outlet is at the bottom left of the screen.

i have confidence in this new core that it isn't short circuiting and has even flow thru the element. i'll install it!

https://youtu.be/Hn-7Z4osCos

-dan
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

FIFY:
DanHoug wrote:
here it is... infra red video ...

Link

- Dave

PS: Yeah, looks good! Cool

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: