Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beware of Thermex brand front heater core
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Yep, that's a lot of area for flow to slip across.

On top of that, with only 3 galleries, the whole middle gallery wouldn't have anything going thru it even if the scalloped divider was a close fit.

That's some pretty piss-poor design there, seems like they took an existing matrix and added endcaps for the application without any consideration as to how coolant would flow thru it.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

What a stupid setup, all they had to do was use cores with 2 galleries. They lost any proper flow direction by having that middle gallery, which made the divider on the tank useless. I guess that's what happens when you get parts made by some random small European countries. My heater from Brickwerks (same as GW is selling) is terrible and it came from some unknown company called Prasco. Ordered a Brassworks heater and I'll report back once its been installed and tested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberhare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

JPGroup / Thermex heater cores have been recently updated. I have not cut one open, but they did pull from the market last year to improve the design.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Well once someone has one in hand, look inside to see if there are two or four galleries. If there's three, then as mentioned above, the thing will not use all of the possible surface area, and even if the divider was built for a closer fit some portion of flow volume will bypass the active galleries anyway, so it's unlikely to deliver good heat output. Send it back with a nasty note.

Adding to my comments above, the matrix they chose was obviously meant for end-to-end flow and they just stuck different endcaps on it without considering the in-and-back flow pattern at all. Stupid.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Well I just received my brassworks core... Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the damage to the paint from the expanding foam it was packed in.

And the OE vw core and its 100% seal between inlet and outlet. Geez I wonder why they went to the effort of doing that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Just talked to Mike at Van-Café. They do not sell thermex, they only sold them briefly. They have their heater cores made for them. They are all aluminum. The black paint on these heater cores I have smells nasty.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

What did Brassworks say when you called them? Can't anyone make a heater core?

Terry Kay would have had some great comments for this thread Laughing
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Yes please keep me posted on the Brassworks deal.
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Brassworks said go ahead and return it. Ya to be honest a heater core is the last thing I thought I'd have problems replacing. I started to look for a core to rebuild my original heater core but that would take a while to source, if even possible.
I'm real close to just putting a wood stove where my passenger seat should be. Lots of room in the back for wood. Laughing
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

That is astonishing that the unit is built with the in and out next to each other but without baffles to direct water THROUGH the heater core!!!!

Producing items like this defies all logic!!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

i am so disappointed to 'see the light' on the Brassworks core. this is the one i had highest hopes for and to have that blatant cross connection, WTF. just wow. glad they are taking it back.

had a friend with a Ford Econoline van with a wood stove in the back. they lived 20 miles outside of town with 3 little girls back in their hippie days and would fire up the stove before heading to town. worked great at -30F.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
brassworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

I have not dissected the other designs out there but understand heater cores, radiators and heat exchange theory enough to comment on this post.

The vanagon heater core made by the Brassworks is baffled. If you "saw" it in half you will find a vertical baffle on the bottom that is soldered to the header and an adjacent baffle on the top that is soldered to the inside of the tank. The two nest against each other inside the length of the tank and route the fluid down the top 1/2 the core where it enters the unbaffled tank and routes back the bottom 1/2 to the other connection.

Light has an uncanny ability to sneak through the seam of the two plates but light is light and fluid is fluid. Fluid tends to take the path of least resistance via the tubes. I understand that this customer was concerned about light and so encouraged him to simply return it.

Not sure what caused the paint damage and would not be in a position to comment on that.

DanHoug and djKeev if you have further questions you can call me directly. 805.239.2501
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

thank you, Brassworks, for monitoring and responding. i'll be in the market for more cores so i will give you a call sometime. i'd started this other thread on Brassworks cores so it is really good to hear from you again. speaks well of the company.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=696178&highlight=

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

The vanagon heater hoses are very long so there is not a lot of flow through the hoses at idle. The heater core needs to flow without bypassing at all. It was a windchill of -22 F the other day. A heater that works good in California might not cut the mustard up here.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

brassworks wrote:
I have not dissected the other designs out there but understand heater cores, radiators and heat exchange theory enough to comment on this post.

The vanagon heater core made by the Brassworks is baffled. If you "saw" it in half you will find a vertical baffle on the bottom that is soldered to the header and an adjacent baffle on the top that is soldered to the inside of the tank. The two nest against each other inside the length of the tank and route the fluid down the top 1/2 the core where it enters the unbaffled tank and routes back the bottom 1/2 to the other connection.

Light has an uncanny ability to sneak through the seam of the two plates but light is light and fluid is fluid. Fluid tends to take the path of least resistance via the tubes. I understand that this customer was concerned about light and so encouraged him to simply return it.

Not sure what caused the paint damage and would not be in a position to comment on that.

DanHoug and djKeev if you have further questions you can call me directly. 805.239.2501

Brassworks,
Can I ask if you would be able to take some photos at work tomorrow of an unassembled unit and post them here to clarify your description above?

It would be greatly appreciated by many (and I might suggest that you should probably consider building up inventory if they clearly and satisfactory show us the path the hot water takes, I suspect your sales might spike)

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

loki475 wrote:

And the OE vw core and its 100% seal between inlet and outlet. Geez I wonder why they went to the effort of doing that.

Why didnīt you use that good looking core?
brassworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

We make to order and have just completed a batch. When we sell through we'll make another batch. I will try to remember to send you images of the construction and specifically a baffle assembly.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

^^^ Looking forward to this...

Popcorn

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

T3messie wrote:
loki475 wrote:

Why didnīt you use that good looking core?

Its a deceiving picture. The fins all along the bottom are corroding, basically crumbling into dust. The corrosion has reached the first row of tubes and the rubber seal for the first tube is splitting. Trust me I would have stayed with an oe vw part if I could have. Sometimes I stay up late scouring the farthest reaches of the internet for genuine vw parts. Unfortunately this time my search came up with nothing.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

brassworks wrote:
We make to order and have just completed a batch. When we sell through we'll make another batch. I will try to remember to send you images of the construction and specifically a baffle assembly.

Now, understand this is just ME thinking out loud here........

But

IF I were making my living making a specific item and one of my products turned up in a forum catering to owners and DYI'ers and the comments made weren't really all that favorable about my product ......

I sure as heck would go out to the shop the next morning and yell for Charlie to come see me.
I'd Give him specific insteuctions to make just one of the item and to have Mary with you to record and photograph the process documenting and showing the interior baffles and such.

I would then go back to my office, draw a colored diagram of coolant flow and explain why this method works so well vs while VW clearly sealed the same unit into two halves.

I'd probably have a testing setup in the shop somewhere, I'd clean it off and hook this unit up to it and then using an infrared heat gun and dyed water show not only the flow but how the temperature rises quickly and evenly saturates the unit.

Why?
Because it is Winter, people are finding out that they need a new item and come Summer they will block off the coolant flow and put it off until next Fall.

I'd want to convince people to buy mine NOW!!
I also would really want this fairly tight knit community to tell others they meet, "call brassworks, every other one on the market is crap".

But that's just me.......... My Van still has the OG German one in it from 1986.
Hmmmmmm I might be one of those shoppers soon!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: