Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing top price question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
athingperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Thing top price question Reply with quote

Thing question. I have a new canvas top, clear window and excellent frame. I just sold my Thing with the hardtop, but kept the rag top.

I was trying to get an idea of a asking place when I put it in classifieds. I couldn't find one complete to compare. Thanks
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing top price question Reply with quote

athingperson wrote:
Thing question. I have a new canvas top, clear window and excellent frame. I just sold my Thing with the hardtop, but kept the rag top.

I was trying to get an idea of a asking place when I put it in classifieds. I couldn't find one complete to compare. Thanks

What type of soft top makes a huge difference. Thing shop? TMI?
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
athingperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing top price question Reply with quote

Thing shop as far as I know.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing top price question Reply with quote

Just curious...what color is the top?
athingperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing top price question Reply with quote

white.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Thing top price question Reply with quote

athingperson wrote:
Thing shop as far as I know.

You need to know before you price it, both the fabric and the frame. If original frame it is flimsy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
athingperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing top price question Reply with quote

OK, NEW canvas top, not sure if it's a Thing Shop, TMI or other Mfg as there is no specific tag. Clear rear window and frame complete in Excellent cond. Ready to install Just looking for a ballpark figure on a realistic selling price.
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing top price question Reply with quote

athingperson wrote:
OK, NEW canvas top, not sure if it's a Thing Shop, TMI or other Mfg as there is no specific tag. Clear rear window and frame complete in Excellent cond. Ready to install Just looking for a ballpark figure on a realistic selling price.

Does the soft top have a metal rod on the back, and pre punched holes?

Ok, I will take a stab -- top, unknown manufacture, white, 2nd hand... $150 - $200. True ready to install frame (can't tell by looking, distortion is a killer) up to $400. Shipping the frame = crazy pricey. Sooo, you need a local to pickup -- $500 on a good day? If you find someone local who wants/needs a white top.

Thingshop top and frame? $1000.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Thing top price question Reply with quote

Top and frame together shipped with Greyhound $75-$100
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing top price question Reply with quote

Your Thing's buyer must have had a screw loose to not want the soft top with his purchase. It was worth more as a value-adder with the car than on its own. Why not call the guy and offer the top to him.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing top price question Reply with quote

I think Hitest is a genius, simple, sensible, easy, good solution.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: