Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Metal sunroof to solid roof?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

As I sit in my bug tearing the ripped to shreds headliner out I'm curious if I can easily remove the subroof pan and weld up the giant hole? Mine is a '64 so it's no ragtop and I'm not a big fan of sunroofs plus mine is missing 75% of everything to make it work so I'm looking at $$$$ to have a giant hole in my roof that leaks water.

I could easily list he sunroof stuff for sale. I'm just curious if I have to do a roof clip or if I can just drill out all of these spot welds.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

Or I could make it a rag top.....and not have to repaint.....hmmmw
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

Metal sunroofs do not leak!
They are designed to drain the water that gets past the dust seals . . . similar to the way your door glass seals will let water past only to drain out the bottom of the door.

If you let your sunroof drain tubes plug-up, the water WILL back up and get into your interior. Do not confuse that by saying you sunroof leaks!

It will take you a few minutes to clear those drains, but if that is too much trouble, yes it is possible to weld in a filler piece and then cover half the roof with Bondo! Razz
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

I could get a section of roof from a solid roof bug and patch it in?

Or just spend the money and fix the sunroof.

I'm going to talk to the VW shop in Orlando and talk to them about it
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

Clearing the drains will cost you nothing!!!!!!!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

If yours is an original sunroof car, then the drains are there. Clearing them (and maybe replacing the clear connecting hoses), and patiently waiting for parts to come up in the classifieds (or scouting junkyards), and you will have all you need. There are threads about rebuilding it so it works like new.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Clearing the drains will cost you nothing!!!!!!!

Yeah but when everything except the sunroof panel is missing it's expensive to bring it back.

I just snaked the drains and they are clear.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
Or I could make it a rag top.....and not have to repaint.....hmmmw

Great idea, make it a rag top !!!!!!

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

Go with finding a donor roof and patch it in.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

While a properly working and draining steel sliding sunroof is great and generally do not leak from the roof.. they do drain into very bad places..
Not a bad option to have.. but needs improvements.

The front drains drip into the A pillars... and ...we all know the A pillars never rust out.. Rolling Eyes
The rear drains drip over the running board and heater channel at the lower edge of the quarter panels.. and ....we all know the heater channels, rockers, and running board mounts never rust out.. Rolling Eyes

IMO.. no parts... = make it solid ..Even if that means.. using a stock sunroof panel as the base to simply seal in place and correct the drains.. or weld the panel or a roof graft panel into place.. and forgetaboutit.

Parts are fairly easy to source if you search and place want ads.

Sliding Ragtops are nice... simpler than the metal..ad an older appeal but are pricey to graft in especially if you have to source a donor and pay someone to hack it in.
Then....since its now a graft.. if a sale is in even at all a possible future.. the Vw snobs will tear it apart and nit pick it to death.. especially if its a 65 and newer..

When and if you have the parts (for others) and want it.. at least move the drains to better locations.

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Pretty much one of the stupidest sunroof drain systems EVER...
Its why metal sliders rot out 3 times faster than hard tops.

The front drain tubes simply are placed into the bowels of the "Bermuda Triangle" by the defrost tube.
IF water enters the drain system it simply drips into the cavity.

The lower (bottom) portion of outer the front quarter skin "should" have an open area for water to drip from..
Its the same for hardtops too in case any water enters the window seal.

Reroute them now to save your car..
Extend and move the rears away from the heater channels and rockers TOO!

Read these....!!!!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6342955
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158249
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=555329
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=292176

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:21 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

With a bit of work and patently sourcing parts, you can make it work. I love having a sunroof with a set of pop out windows for airflow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

... 10 people will have 10 different opinions... is just a matter of preference.

my 2 cents is all 3 versions could be enjoyable... 1. I think metal sunroofs are not worth the trouble,. they are tiny and unattractive. 2. solid roof would be my preference. 3. rag tops are great. 3 folds are the way to go, but expensive... 2 folds are less expensive, a great size when open, a little more work to install and to maintain...

... if I had a choice, I'd take solid with pop-out rear quarters... a real cheap way to go might be to (clear) silicone the silly metal roof closed and add pop-outs.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

I've had 2 new vehicles with sunroofs. I hate the stupid things. They take up headroom and the manufacturers tack them on with other options that you want so you HAVE to get the $1200+ sunroof to get the other stuff. Mad

Having said that, I LOVED the sunroof on the '63 ragtop Beetle I had. Would probably still have it if some idiot in a Mercury Marquis hadn't run a red light and totaled it for me about 25 years ago. Crying or Very sad

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
... 10 people will have 10 different opinions... is just a matter of preference.

my 2 cents is all 3 versions could be enjoyable... 1. I think metal sunroofs are not worth the trouble,. they are tiny and unattractive. 2. solid roof would be my preference. 3. rag tops are great. 3 folds are the way to go, but expensive... 2 folds are less expensive, a great size when open, a little more work to install and to maintain...

... if I had a choice, I'd take solid with pop-out rear quarters... a real cheap way to go might be to (clear) silicone the silly metal roof closed and add pop-outs.

I'm not siliconing it closed. I have a bit more class than that. I'm going to ask my local shop Monday about going solid.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

I'm not siliconing it closed. I have a bit more class than that. I'm going to ask my local shop Monday about going solid.

... guess I am lower class as I silaconed my T-T-tops on my 1993 mr2,,, did a very neat job for a low class guy. No sealer could be seen at all.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

If I'm painting the car I kind of don't want to silicone it shut. I'd rather do it right the first time. Which is either repair thebsunroof or convert to solid roof
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

1964 is the only year of the small window Bug that came with the sliding steel sunroof. It is a unique thing to that year and removing one is likely bad for future resale value. That said, it is your car and do what you want with it.

It should be no issue to weld in a section of roof from another Bug. You should be able to use a roof section from any year Bug to make the patch as it is well back from the windshield.

Personally, I avoid convertible and sunroof Bugs. I live in a place where it never gets over 100F, but it rains over 150 days a year (Seattle.)

Last edited by EVfun on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
1964 is the only year of the small window Bug that came with the sliding steel sunroof. ... That said, it is your car and do what you want with it.

(Seattle.)

Thank you for being the first one to say this. '64 sunroof cars are the rarest of any sunroof series- production since the early 50s. Ragtop cars outnumber SR '64s at least 10:1. I'd throw a bag of kittens in the river to own one (I hope you're not reading this Clara).

I'd fix the thing- period. If you can't find a sunroof parts car at a junkyard for $75 then you're not looking.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

I was going to say the same thing. They are very rare, being one year only. I wouldn't suggest closing it. It may be hard to fix, but it will be worth it in the end. The rarity is there and sunroof cars always go for more if you ever decide to sell it.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal sunroof to solid roof? Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
I've had 2 new vehicles with sunroofs. I hate the stupid things. They take up headroom and the manufacturers tack them on with other options that you want so you HAVE to get the $1200+ sunroof to get the other stuff. Mad

Having said that, I LOVED the sunroof on the '63 ragtop Beetle I had. Would probably still have it if some idiot in a Mercury Marquis hadn't run a red light and totaled it for me about 25 years ago. Crying or Very sad

... can relate, the love of my life (1993 Civic Si) with tilt sun roof and 392K miles was broadsided by a huge speeding Ford Victoria police cruiser in 2007...

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: