Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Matra Tool How-To?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Matra Tool How-To? Reply with quote

I just picked up this tool but the only documentation I've been able to find identifies it as a "gearshift gauge" (I figure that's related to the transmission so I'm posting it here...) but nothing on how to use it. Does anyone have any ideas what it does and how to use it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tool How-To? Reply with quote

Victor, Maybe try contacting roachdub and asking him. He has the most trans tools that I have seen anyone post here yet. But that is a cool tool just the same. Great find.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tool How-To? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Victor, Maybe try contacting roachdub and asking him. He has the most trans tools that I have seen anyone post here yet. But that is a cool tool just the same. Great find.

Hey, thanks for checking out my intro to swingaxle trans tools in my build thread.Wink

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/tools9.php

Looks like tool #2073, I don't know how it works but if I Had to guess, I would say it's for a water cooled VW. In the aircooled days, most of the factory tools were only 3 digits and in the 2-300 number range. The ones I own from that era are usually Peiseler brand. But my Matra diff holder is VW664 or something like that. A lot of the Baum, Matra, etc seem to have completely random part #s. Im not sure why some VW tools use a manufacturer part # and others seem to use a VW factory #.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Matra Tool How-To? Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:

Looks like tool #2073, I don't know how it works but if I Had to guess, I would say it's for a water cooled VW. ...

Thanks for the input, but man that would be a bummer. That means it's of no use to me and my Supers! And I'm out $29! Sad [EDIT] here I thought it was going to be helpful in aligning my shifter to eliminate the occasional grind w/the 2nd/reverse gear location...

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: